Cinema I vs current line of esl center channels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopelessDFilms

Reaction score
Hi all...

I would appreciate anyones input and/or opinion on the cinema i center channel vs the current line of esl's excluding only the stage, as I cannot afford the stage right now...

I'm looking for comparisons between the motif, matinee, etc

I have found a screeeeeeaming deal on a cinema i 350$ at least i think its a screamer, and am wondering if I should scoop it up quick! or hold out and save up for a current gen esl center...

any input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

:music:

I had the cinema (not i) and there is no comparison to my current Stage center channel! The stage is much more detailed and match very nicely with my Summit X set in the front. For your case, I would try to match the center with the same generation electrostats as your front speakers.

I have had the cinema and stage in my set up, but not any of the others. The stage is better than the cinema, but honestly it wasn't that much better. The biggest improvement was that it handled high spl dynamics better than the cinema does. I would bet that the cinema would compare very closely with the cheaper current line center channels.

I have had the cinema and stage in my set up, but not any of the others. The stage is better than the cinema, but honestly it wasn't that much better. The biggest improvement was that it handled high spl dynamics better than the cinema does. I would bet that the cinema would compare very closely with the cheaper current line center channels.

Hello,
I too went from the Cinema to the Stage, but the fact that the Stage handles high SPL's with ease is a huge development for me.

I am shocked at just how loud my Vantage, Stage, Vista, Depth HT gets. Electrostats have the perception that they do not do HT that well, but my experience has been the polar opposite.
Cheers,
JJ

I am shocked at just how loud my Vantage, Stage, Vista, Depth HT gets. Electrostats have the perception that they do not do HT that well, but my experience has been the polar opposite.
Cheers,
JJ

Yep, they play cleanly (low distortion) at frequencies where most dynamic speakers generate a lot of THD when pushed. So they don't sound 'loud' in terms of high SPL = high THD, they are just high SPL.

Visitors, especially audiophiles, are always shocked at how loud my system actually is playing (as seen on the SPL meter), as they don't sense it as that loud. Low distortion is the key. As well as good room behavior (absence of resonances).

For center channels, the challenge is keeping up with L/R speakers, and to my mind none of the ML models can adequately keep up at higher SPLs. If you moderate the level, then it's fine. But don't expect reference level playback from them. It takes a much, much bigger center to do that, trust me ;)

Back