CIAudio ships new linear power supply for SB3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, wonder if it's really any better than my $20 Elpac linear PSU? Will be interesting if folks compare.

Probably not. But it sure looks better :).

Does your Elpac PS really sound any better than the stock switcher? I don't think I will "A/B" the VDC-SB vs the stock PS because I do not expect big sonic changes. IOW, I think your Elpac is just fine, too.

If he has a money back guarantee on that, I might plunge and take a dip in the CIA pool.

Does your Elpac PS really sound any better than the stock switcher? I don't think I will "A/B" the VDC-SB vs the stock PS because I do not expect big sonic changes. IOW, I think your Elpac is just fine, too.

There have been anecdotal reports that the stock switcher gives off RFI which *can* adversely affect other components in the audio chain. I haven't bothered doing a double-blind comparison, but I certainly would if I were spending $260!

Dusty is an honest no-bullshitter. Quite remarkable considering that he has a business to run and a living to make, but he's straight nonetheless. A pleasure to deal with. Passionate about music. One of us. Chances are that if you call him, you'll enjoy the talk, and you'll get hooked.

Joey, it's 30 days but note that there is a 10% restocking fee. If you were looking into a DAC or amp or source component, I'd say, don't worry. You'd probably not want to return any of those anyway, because they are great. I own a sample of most of them. But this is just a friggin power supply. Surely you would not expect a PSU upgrade to render an improvement similar to that possible by replacing your Cary pre-amp with a $300 CIA VPC-3 ;)?

Hey Joey

If you really want to make that squeezebox sing, I've got a spare Benchmark DAC-1 USB....

If you want a great deal, PM me.

And Dusty's a big BMW enthusiast too! Has a pair of M5's and an X5, so he gets my vote for being a cool guy!

Hey Joey

If you really want to make that squeezebox sing, I've got a spare Benchmark DAC-1 USB....

If you want a great deal, PM me.

It beats the PS Audio DACIII? I'm interested in doing an A/B comparo and keeping the one that wins...

You tried the PS DACIII?

Joey

FWIW, the VDC-SB arrived today. It looks just like a VAC-1 except that the label says VDC-SB instead of VAC-1 and that there is a blue LED in the center of the front plate. The rest of the case and the cables are exactly the same. How does it sound? No idea. My unit was shipped configured for 240V and it will be a while until I can check it out.

FWIW, the VDC-SB arrived today. It looks just like a VAC-1 except that the label says VDC-SB instead of VAC-1 and that there is a blue LED in the center of the front plate. The rest of the case and the cables are exactly the same. How does it sound? No idea. My unit was shipped configured for 240V and it will be a while until I can check it out.

Damn the europeans!!!!

Oh I know that, I told Dusty to configure mine for 240V because I'll be moving to Italy soon. I am from Europe, surely you can read my German accent? (Sigh, I'll never lose it, not in two life times.) I still don't get what's funny about "damn the europeans". Thick?

Back