10th anniversary sale at Channel Islands Audio

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ralflar

Reaction score
I thought I should share this link:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?PHPSESSID=fc36olvvv25ngbk93n4vi0ie46&topic=37411.0

It is relevant because we had and still have threads here re. Squeezbox + DAC vs Transporter. Until yesterday I was undecided. I leaned towards SB + CIAudio DAC (VDA-2) but still found the Transporter one box dual display approach very attractive.

Two things happened since yesterday: 1) Last night Dusty Vawter of Channel Islands Audio announced a special sale to celebrate CIAudio's 10th anniversary. 2) Today at work my manager handed me a letter telling me the amount of my bonus. I'll get what I deserve which is quite a bit more than what I expected :D. (Let's say no more than that 2006 wasn't easy.)

So I happily invested the unexpected amount in a VDA-2/VAC-1 combo and other stuff, today :). For about the price of the Transporter I'll get a DAC, a new line stage to replace the VPC-2, a headphone amp, plus outboard power supplies for all, and the cable and headphone freebees. Dusty impresses with a passionate yet down to earth attitude regarding our audio hobby, which is also completely void of marketing or technical (or any other) BS.

If you are in need of an amp, or a DAC (for a Squeezbox or otherwise), or a headphone amp, check out that link.

So I happily invested the unexpected amount in a VDA-2/VAC-1 combo and other stuff, today :).
Dusty's DAC is a real hidden gem in the audio world. IMO, due to the price, it just is not seen as a quality solution for an external DAC. Those that own it know it is a great performer.

Congratulations on the new purchase - you will be very happy!!!

Dan

Great news Raflar! Be sure to tell us how the SB3 with his new friends sound to you.

I wish I could send my loaner PS Audio DACIII to you for comparisons sake....

Joey

ralflar,
I own the VDA-2/VAC-1 combo and as I have said before you will be pleasantly amazed. I just got a new CD-SACD player and with this DAC it is beyond what I expected. I know it will put a smile on your face.

Jeff:cool:

Thanks lugano. Regarding headphones, since I got my Logans I only used them when mobile. So it is doubtful that the Goldrings will see a lot of use. They might be useful in allowing me to establish a better frame of reference when reading reviews etc. It will also be interesting to compare them with my over 10 year old MB Quart QP 400.

Putting the Goldrings up on eBay is probably not worth the hassle for the $100 to at most $120 I should be able to get. I won't blow the whole bonus on audio purchases just yet. Fortunately yesterday's purchase comes out of the difference between what I somewhat pessimistically expected and what I'll get. This has a symbolic or even metaphysical implication: it means that the Fates wanted me to buy the new toys. It could not have been coincidence by any means. I am justified. I am sane; any test for Joeytitis would be negative. Ahem! :D

Besides, I did ask Dusty V. why he selected the Goldrings. The short of it is that he wanted to offer something special, not the standard Grado/Senn kit, and with a particularly high sound quality per dollar ratio. He gave insightful accounts of how the Goldrings sound compared to benchmark headphones, a few of which I have heard. So, I don't think that the DR150 will be disappointing.

But that remains to be seen/heard. Head-Fi has a long thread of raving posts re. the DR-150. If it turns out that I don't like the phone I can at least look up what other gear the ravers use, and avoid it!

Thanks Dan. I believe so, too. I like the minimum parts, don't mess with the signal approach, of CIAudio gear. The VDA-2 does not re-clock the bitstream, which many will consider a drawback. I am sceptical of that approach (because I have been exposed to time series signal processing). For proper results a single time frame of reference is needed. So the VDA-2 approach of locking on to sync with the source's master clock promises great things. On the EE and circuit design side, of which I know very little, the VDA-2 avoids cascaded op-amps in the analog output stage in favor of a single transistor for the current to voltage conversion in Class A mode and no feedback. I grasp what these big words mean only at the surface. :)

Do you (still) own any CIAudio gear?

Hi Joey. Will do. I have not listened to the SB half as much as I did before Arcam managed to get a working DV137 into my hands. Then the Vantages came. The SB was useful for break-in, playing random playlists. Beyond that that I do not listen to the SB anymore other than for background. Now that the Vantages have begun to show their magic the Arcam is so much more involving with SACD but also CDDA. The new DAC will most likely put the joy back into SB listening!

Having said all this, the stock SB3 sounds much better than my Denon 2910 player - which may or may not be caused by the fact that I use a passive attenuator instead of an active pre-amp. At any rate, the SB is a steal at $300.

If I happen to travel to Chicago anytime soon I will remember to pack the DAC and power supply! This (that trip) is not likely to happen anytime soon though. There is also the slim chance that I'll dislike the DAC and send it back. It is much more likely that you will already have your own DAC with tubed analog output stage by the time that I will be ready to loan you my VDA-2. ;)

Jeff, I have read your previous posts in this regard, and man am I ready to be amazed and smile. :) It will probably be Tuesday or even Wednesday before my new gear arrives. Which player did you get?

ralflar,

Well I was keeping kind of quiet because I didn't want any flack from the other people here or being accused of having Joey-itis. You can PM me if you want to know. :D

Jeff:cool:

Hi Jeff,

Flak on this forum is rather rare, isn't it? You may see a lot of FLAC, though, from Squeezeboxers. ;)

I am really nosey tonight. Even more so after your post. PM sent.

What's so bad about Joeytitis. Most folks here have it. Feels good, too. :)

Update: the new toys arrived last night. Anything I'd write in their praise would be under the impression of the new toy excitement, so I'll keep my mouth shut until I've cooled down enough to have a reasonable chance at being objective. :)

Update: the new toys arrived last night. Anything I'd write in their praise would be under the impression of the new toy excitement, so I'll keep my mouth shut until I've cooled down enough to have a reasonable chance at being objective. :)

Great news! I just sent payment for my new DAc... tun tun tuunnn....

Anyway, you know the drill... pics, pics, and impressions.;)

I received a new camera today. How handy is that?

Just don't forget to entertain this board with your own pics. I am also looking forward to reading your own listening impressions.

Back