choosing between two oppos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaphod

Reaction score
i've been looking to get an oppo player, looking at the 95 as it still does 1080p over component.

however ...

there is an oppo 83se locally available for $500
there is an oppo 95 NIB (it's been sitting for a year) available for $925

the 95 has balanced outs (i can take advantage of those, but probably will not - see below) and two HDMI if i want to keep my video and analog chains separate. and the 95 does 3D (which i have never seen, nor really want to).

the 83se is no slouch in the analog or video department

i have a very good redbook transport and DAC combo (museatex) and no SACD, i'll probably only use the 7.1 analog outs for trueHD as my bryston does not decode that.

so while i *could* plug the balanced L/R into my 2 channel pre, i probably will not use the oppo for redbook unless my current transport dies.

so my question is - local 83se for $500 or NIB 95 for $925

If I were buying an Oppo player today, it would be the new BDP-105. Unlike preceding models, it can stream DSD tracks, and has full DLNA Rendering, so you can stream music from a network server using using a smartphone or tablet as remote control. It obviously costs more than the older models, but you get what you pay for.

yeah, that's knd of what i'm thinking. that is, the 105 has a number of advantages over previous models. but right now, i'd rather put the money into the room rebuild and get a very passable BR player that will keep me happy for a few years.

for instance - i'm pricing out getting a coat of real plaster in the room, but that will be a couple or more grand. that sort of foolishness limits the budget for a player to around $800. the NIB 95 is over that by a smidge and the local 83se is below that, but has the huge advantage of allowing a demo before i buy it.

Zaphod, why not a 103?

It's analog section is no slouch in the general scheme of things and has all the latest bells and whistles.

IMO an '83' is not worth $500.......$350-400 tops. But if you want spend $500 I'll sell you mine !

Zaphod, why not a 103?

It's analog section is no slouch in the general scheme of things and has all the latest bells and whistles.

Agreed. The 103 seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance.

I'd just pay the $499 price tag for a brand new Oppo BDP-103 before going with an older model with no warranty. The 103 player has the same mainboard, laser & loader assembly as the more expensive 105 unit and you probably wouldn't notice any differences between the two especially if you bypass the DAC with a digital cable.

Zaphod, why not a 103?

because dumb@$$ here didn't think that a 103 would be that cheap. with the 105 being $1200 i didn't even consider that a 103 would be $500. sigh.

thank you #zero for pointing that out.

i am still a bit hung up on component outs, but i can live without them.

i am still a bit hung up on component outs, but i can live without them.

Zaphod, please double check this, but I believe that all component outs on modern gear no longer output HD (no 720 or 1080p), as we passed the 'Analog Sunset' window back in December.
Plus, if your display supports HDMI, that will always be a cleaner image than other options.

If you are still running a CRT projector, CurtPalme is having a sale on the Moome HDMI input cards right now.

Zaphod, please double check this, but I believe that all component outs on modern gear no longer output HD (no 720 or 1080p), as we passed the 'Analog Sunset' window back in December.
Plus, if your display supports HDMI, that will always be a cleaner image than other options.

If you are still running a CRT projector, CurtPalme is having a sale on the Moome HDMI input cards right now.

yep, the 83se is 1080i out only on component, and i have a HDMI solution currently that will work with my CRT, but when that breaks or stops working ... well maybe then i'll move to digital :)

Speaking of moving to Digital, I'm about to pull the trigger on a JVC RS-4810 4K projector. But my darn CRT just looks so good, I'm in no hurry :cool:

Speaking of moving to Digital, I'm about to pull the trigger on a JVC RS-4810 4K projector. But my darn CRT just looks so good, I'm in no hurry :cool:

JUST DO IT!!!!! It will be worth it just to take back the center of your room from that monstrosity!

JUST DO IT!!!!! It will be worth it just to take back the center of your room from that monstrosity!

LOL, I know, I know. It's overdue. Just have so many other projects going on now. Maybe in September.

Rich - that's what the ceiling is for .... the PJ!

My plan had been to keep the CRT PJ just two or three years, but twelve years later, it's still on the floor.
The ceiling has a lovely custom mount for a digital PJ, all ready to accept the new unit as soon as I run the 35' HDMI cable.

Back on topic, the Oppo is impressive, I used it a lot yesterday and it just shines on SACDs,

Hola Roberto, thanks for that recommendation for long runs. It's much easier to source and run a pair of CAT6 network cables than play roulette with HDMI cable selection.

Back