Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Having decided that my Benchmark DAC-1 is probably the weakest link in my system, I've been searching for a suitable upgrade. After appreciating the detail, tonal balance, and superb soundstaging of my Oppo BDP-95, I decided to focus my search on a ESS Sabre 9018 chip based DAC (fully understanding that power supply and analog output stage design are just as important as the digital decoding side). I almost pulled the trigger on the Audiolab MDAC (designed by John Westlake) but backed out after finding out John and Audiolab had parted ways, and that John did not plan on selling his new "Lakewest" designs in North America (bummer).

I was subsequently considering the Weiss Dac 2 (or newer 202), when I recently stumbled upon the Invicta DAC, from new Canadian company Resonessence Labs. Turns out, Mark Mallinson, president of Resonessence Labs, and many of their engineers, previously worked for ESS in designing the Sabre 9018 chip, thus are (theoretically at least) in the best position to maximize that chips performance. After reading some (generally) favorable reviews of the Invicta on 6moons, Audiostream, and elsewhere, I just ordered one for a 30 day trial. At $4000 (USD) it's a bit lower price-point than the Weiss 202, but offers some unique functionality (OLED display, SD card input, more firmware upgradability options), plus the future promise of DSD playback.

Since they're built to order, then tested and burned in prior to shipping, I expect delivery the first week of June, or so. Hopefully will be able to compare it head-to-head against the competition at one of our local audio society meetings, in addition to comparing vs. the Benchmark in my own system.

In the meantime, I'm surprised there haven't been many end-user comments about this DAC elsewhere on the net. Anybody else here considering purchasing one (or better yet, who's actually heard one)?

Having decided that my Benchmark DAC-1 is probably the weakest link in my system, I've been searching for a suitable upgrade. After appreciating the detail, tonal balance, and superb soundstaging of my Oppo BDP-95, I decided to focus my search on a ESS Sabre 9018 chip based DAC (fully understanding that power supply and analog output stage design are just as important as the digital decoding side). I almost pulled the trigger on the Audiolab MDAC (designed by John Westlake) but backed out after finding out John and Audiolab had parted ways, and that John did not plan on selling his new "Lakewest" designs in North America (bummer).

I was subsequently considering the Weiss Dac 2 (or newer 202), when I recently stumbled upon the Invicta DAC, from new Canadian company Resonessence Labs. Turns out, Mark Mallinson, president of Resonessence Labs, and many of their engineers, previously worked for ESS in designing the Sabre 9018 chip, thus are (theoretically at least) in the best position to maximize that chips performance. After reading some (generally) favorable reviews of the Invicta on 6moons, Audiostream, and elsewhere, I just ordered one for a 30 day trial. At $4000 (USD) it's a bit lower price-point than the Weiss 202, but offers some unique functionality (OLED display, SD card input, more firmware upgradability options), plus the future promise of DSD playback.

Since they're built to order, then tested and burned in prior to shipping, I expect delivery the first week of June, or so. Hopefully will be able to compare it head-to-head against the competition at one of our local audio society meetings, in addition to comparing vs. the Benchmark in my own system.

In the meantime, I'm surprised there haven't been many end-user comments about this DAC elsewhere on the net. Anybody else here considering purchasing one (or better yet, who's actually heard one)?

Hi Alan,

Thanks for sharing that. I for one have never heard of either the company of the DAC so I very much look forward to investigating further as well as hearing what you think after you've spent some time with it. I think we're on the brink of a whole new wave of DACs with great new features and outstanding performance/value, with DACs like the Invicta leading the way. I love me W4S-DAC2 (with the vaunted SABRE reference devices) but will always be on the look-out for better sound.

Cheers

Had a chance to (briefly) compare the Invicta to the Bel Canto 3.5VB in Audioseduction/George's Summit X setup yesterday, streaming redbook and high-res tracks via SPDIF. As expected, they have slightly different sonic "flavors" with the Invicta being slightly "warmer" and a tad "laid back" vs. the Bel Canto, which was a little "brighter" and more "forward" in overall presentation. Regardless, both were extremely musical, providing superb imaging and tonality across the spectrum, with no listening fatigue whatsoever. George and I agreed we could happily live with either. In my own setup, comparing the Invicta to my Benchmark DAC-1 (and Oppo BDP-95) was "no contest" with the Invicta trouncing both. Just "shows to go ya" that there's much more to a DAC than just the chipset, as the Oppo and Invicta both utilize the ESS Sabre 9018. IMHO, the Invicta's extra features (dual headphone outs, SD card playback, upcoming FLAC and DSD support etc,) make it a little more "future-proof" than most of the competition at (and arguably above) it's price point. Our local audio club is hosting a "DAC Shootout" in a couple weeks, so I'll report back on how the Invicta fares against those others.

I've heard it, Alan. Had it in my system - see the Magtech thread - there is even a photo.

I used it's preamp straight into a Parasound A21. Unfortunately this combo didn't work in my system - in fact it sucked. I didn't go any further with the DAC, but it never got a fair chance. To get a decent sound out of the Para, it had to be fronted by the EAR 868 - otherwise the sounstaging was just, well, really poor. We ran it using the songs stored on a memory stick - nice feature.

What needed to happen is Invicta -> EAR -> Parasound. We never got the chance - even during a 6 hour session - but TBH we were really interested in other things.

There will be a review available soon I expect on HiFi Pig, as I had their review unit. Pay attention to that and not a word of what I just said:)

Another thing that made us lose interest was we couldn't get it to work with my Windows 7 based laptop. Sure it tried to install a driver, but the driver installation failed. Unsure why - didn't have the inclination to investigate. The Invicta itself may not have had the latest firmware on it - I noticed there was a facility to upgrade it, but did not pursue it.

It really look like it belonged in a car dashboard and we felt it quite complicated to operate on first encounter.

Sorry I can't be more positive about it - just sayin' it like it was:)

Last edited:
I appreciate your candor. I plan on trying it direct to amp at some point, just for kicks. Right now, via my C-J preamp, it has excellent soundstage imaging and depth. Just did a comparison tonight of SD card playback vs. SPDIF from my Squeezebox Touch. Couldn't really appreciate a difference. I guess that's either a testament to how good the SB Touch digital output is, or how "jitter-resistant" the Invicta is.

I'm in the fortunate position of living a hop and a skip away from Resonessence Labs, so had the opportunity to listen to the Invicta. I'm not a digital guy, so I didn't listen to it at great length, but Annie reviewed it in the mag an issue or two ago. She liked it. :)

Rich, do you have the issue number (or link)? I searched for it but couldn't find her review.

OK, I've gotta stop sniffing glue! Annie has reviewed the Invicta, but the review hasn't been published yet! It will definitely be in the next issue (Issue 8) of the mag. I'm currently working on that issue, so it'll be out soon.

Sorry about that!

Back