Cardas Neutral Reference Speaker Cables As Power Cords

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I have a double run of Cardas Neutral Reference speaker cables from my ARC monoblocks to my SL3s, for biwiring. These cables are 8ft in length, from the days before I had monoblocks. As the monoblocks are right next to the speakers, the speaker cables do not have to be that long; they could easily be half that length. I noted that in my SL3s the ground lug from the IEC power connector is not used (i.e. only 2 conductors used in the power cable), so I was considering using one pair of speaker cables as power cords to power the SL3s, and cutting the other pair in half for the double run (yes, I do realize that a solder pot is needed to reterminate the cables). Any thoughts on this ?

Alternately, does biwiring really make a difference? Instead of paying the Cardas distributor to reterminate the cables would I be better off using a single run of cable with high quality jumpers instead of the cheap stamped metal that ML supplies ? I would save the retermination money, and if at a later date I needed longer cables I would still have them.

Last edited:
Good morning Bernard,
The first day I received my Vantages I removed the stamped Jumpers and installed E-ticket Jumpers. Just seemed to be a higher quality upgrade for Vantages.

Lee

Are those speaker cables certified for 120V AC?

Unless you know that for sure you could be playing with fire.

Check with the cable manufacturer

Hi Bernard,

For what its worth, I use Mapleshade power cords, which uses their speaker wire. I suspect other manufacturers do the same. The best advice I can give is to call the manufacturer and see what they say.

Good luck. Sounds like an interesting option that could work well.

GG

Back