Cables/Power Supply New McIntosh Amp/MLs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have enjoyed continued reading and getting educated via this Forum. My newer but growing system currently includes Vantages, a Matinee for center, and Denon 4308. I love the clarity and breadth of sound.

However, I recently couldn't resist purchasing a near new McIntosh MC205 (for a great price) to feed the Vantages to produce the kind of sound that I know I am missing as per all of your comments on having a good amp. I am getting a little ahead of myself as it will be a while before I round out the HT, and I probably should have upgraded my TV, DVD, etc. beforehand, but an opportunity presented itself and I moved on it.

I researched a number of amps and ended up selecting the MC205 for it's somewhat warmer sound quality, brand reliability, as well as price point. BTW - Any comments on this choice would be appreciated - even though it is now too late to change (it is currently on it's way via FedEx.)

As I am clueless when it comes to electricity, my first question is whether I need a modified outlet for the amp or am I OK with just plugging it into the standard outlet?

Second, I have been researching cables/wires for the MLs and have read many posts on this forum. As per Rich's recommendation, SignalCable looks appealing. I am not in the market right now for their high end Silver Resolution, but rather looking at the next step down - SignalCable Ultra Speaker Cables ($69/six feet pair), and Analog Two Interconnects ($49/two feet Pair.) Feedback on these would be appreciated.

I also looked into MapleShade and BlueJeans Cable as per some of your posts. Any suggestions on specific products within these brands that are comparable in price with the mid-end Signal Cables would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions on cables? Being new to high end audio, and as I can't determine whether cables are critically important, or nominally important (as there are points of view out there all over the board and I don't want to start another thread on that topic) I have decided to settle for a middle of the road cable made by a good manufacturer with a reasonable price point.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Michael , This topic is touchy and has been beaten to death ! I would suggest you do a search and spend some time doing it . There is a lot of info on this. Cables and IC discussions will as JonFo puts it "degrade as fast as a signal through a Bose speaker"

I'll try to hit all of your questions with one shot. Standard outlets, powercords, interconnecting cables and speaker wire are fine. With even the skankiest, chintzy-est, Wal-Mart crappola you'll hear 95% of what your system is capable of. Barring any sort of electrical snafu like a short circuit or improper connection, I think that most people here will agree with me.

But that last 5% is where some real finishing touches can be made. Whenever possible, audition potential new cables in your own system as system synergy is critical. For example: Silver cables (since you brought it up by mentioning the Silver Reference line) sound quite different than copper ones. Many audiophiles have strong preferences on this matter alone. Copper has a warmer sound. Silver can be analytical and cold in the wrong system.

Experimentation is in order. Do not buy the biggest, baddest cables that you can afford. It is likely that you can do just as well, if not better, at a fraction of the cost elsewhere.

Have fun with this !! It what the "high-end" is all about !!

~VDR

Michael, First off

:welcome:

What part of Colorado are you in? I'm up in Thornton.

Sounds like you're off to a good start. The cables you mentioned are going to be fine for now, if not forever. Focus on getting the equipment in place, the room sorted out and most of all, Listening to your new system!

Welcome Michael and congrat's on the new amp. I'm sure you will be quite happy with it. Regarding cables I won't get into that because it's just too subjective; however, power is another story. The MC205 can draw up to 10amps all by itself so you may want to consider getting a dedicated line run, your amp will thank you. Also, you can use any outlet; however, in order of preference I would install hospital grade, commerical grade, and lastly residential grade. The difference in costs are minimal and I'd only do it if you're going to install a dedicated circuit. In any case, good luck and enjoy the amp.

Hi Michael:

Say, I'm cleaning my closets, got some DH stuff to get rid of. If you'd like to save a few bucks, pm me....

Michael, Welcome, I concur with those that have posted before me !

As for Taylode (Dennis) comment on dedicated lines for your amp, I WHOLEHEARTLY agree. if you are at all electrically inclined it is a cheap and easy thing to do. While you're at it, if possible relocate your "noise making" devices(dimmers, anything with a compressor, flouresent lighting, etc) to one side of the down legs in your breaker box, leaving the other leg for audio and non-noise makers ! This will make a difference, and this is coming from one of the biggest 'cable skeptics' on the forum.......me !

Signal Cable, Blue Jeans, and DH Labs are all excellent cables, and great values. You can also upgrade to Volex 17604 power cords, which are likewise snake-oil free.

As you dial in your system, I strongly recommend investing the majority of your time and $$ towards improved room acoustic treatments, before spending significant $$ on cables. You'll get far more bang for your buck!

Once you feel you've maximized your room/acoustics, you might then tiptoe into the murky water of diminishing returns with cable upgrades!

I'm at that point now, and am about to replace my (excellent) Blue Jeans Speaker Cables with (hopefully even better) Audience AU24E cables (bought used on A'gon).

Hi Michael and welcome!

I noticed you mentioned the Mapleshade line. I try to stay clear of wire debates but...... I think the Mac/Mapleshade combination is a real winner! I've tried several price points and have settled on the MS.

The pictures on the web site are somewhat misleading. The speaker wires are not the customary garden hoses but very thin almost like a twisted coat hanger. I was taken aback when they arrived but thought I'd try them anyway. The IC's are also a little "unusual" but work well for me also.

Another Gordon may chime in on the line.

Gordon

Thanks very much for all of your replies and advice!

C.A.P. - Yep, I realize that there are many perspectives on this topic and didn't want to open another pandora's box on it - I am not in the market for the top-of-the line cables anyway, just a good quality set. Thanks.

VanDaRo - Thanks for the addressing all of my questions and for the insight on copper vs. silver - that is very interesting. As my current room situation is brightening (I think) my sound to some degree, it might make sense for me to stick with copper then.

MiTT - Thanks for the welcome, I am in Castle Rock - just down the road from you! I appreciate your input.

Taylode - Thanks, and good electrical advice. How do you like your MC207 and how does it compare in warmth to the McIntosh tube amps?

Jtwrace & Tonepub - Thanks for the suggestion on DH. I am looking at their site. Tonepub, I would be interested to know what specifically you have - I will PM you.

Twich54/Taylode - Thanks for the electrical recommendations. Problem is, I am less inclinded with electricity than I am with plumbing - and I am horrible at plumbing:( . My current system is set up in my great/family room for the next couple of years until I tackle finishing off the basement of which part will be a dedicated theater room. At that point I will certainly dedicate a line and follow your advice. In the interim, I would like to avoid spending electrical dollars on the temporary environment. Our use of the system is 65%/35% music/HT. Do you think I can get away without any electical mods assuming I keep the volume at a tolerable levels? If I don't do anything, what am I compromising - quality of sound, or am I going to be popping circuits regularly? Thanks!

Sleepysurf - Thanks for the advice. When I originally picked up the Denon & MLs, I purchased some 12 gauge wire at HomeDepot and some old ICs that I had (I know some of you are probably cringing) and hooked everything up - I hadn't planned to put dollars into cables. But now that I have invested the McIntosch, I can't help feeling it is inconsistent to spend money on this great equipment and not step up to some degree on the cables even if they only add a marginal benefit... I am just starting out in this hobby and I finding out there are never ending things one can add to improve the system... (stating the obvious to this choir)

Because I am not yet at the downstairs dedicated HT stage yet, I have limited/to no options regarding room treatments (my wife), so that is going to have to wait. Having read many of your posts on this, I do fully realize that when I can invest in this, it will yield significant benefits.

Gordon - I actually found out about Mapleshades from one of your posts. I appreciate your feeback and haven't ruled them out.

One other newbie question for you all - I plan to pre-amp my Denon and run the center and Vantages on the MC205's. I am not familiar with how this is done - I plan to dive into both manuals to figure it out, but I assume it is pretty straight forward. Any subtleties that I should know about regarding this approach? I want to make sure that I can still utilize the Denon Audyssey room feature after I insert the MC into the equation. Thanks!

Back