Broadband Internet speeds

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about latency

Line speed is of course only half the issue.

What about LATENCY?

Does anyone know a test for that? I know my speeds are acceptable, but sometimes latency kills me!

. . . . . so does anyone know the what the 'transfer rate' refers to and what its relationship is to the raw download/upload speeds? Or is Google going to get another click-through!

I found this doing an Internet search. It explains it pretty well.

The reason for this is because what they tell you your download speed is, as you say 7 Mbps, which is 7 Mega bits per second, when you are downloading something on your computer it displays it in kBps which is kilo bytes per second. Since there are 8 bits in a byte, when you say your download speed is 780 kBps thats actually 6240 kbps or 6.24 Mbps, which is pretty close to 7 Mbps

I enjoy a very fast internet connection via cable modem. Here is the results at Speakeasy, Chicago server:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 23368 kbps (2921 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2426 kbps (303.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Most web servers, with the exception of Microsoft, Google, Yahoo or subscription-based file servers, simply cannot provide data at this level. Which is too bad, really.

~VDR

Holy Moly George! Are you getting that with STANDARD FiOS, or are you paying a premium for the faster speeds??? I'm only getting 10384 Down, and 1680 Up, with the standard triple-play FiOS package (Phone, TV, Net).

I'm not sure. I just told my wife I want the fastest possible since I maintain lots of websites and she manages the bills. :D

Chicago server:
Download Speed: 8554 kbps (1069.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 6552 kbps (819 KB/sec transfer rate)

Back