Broadband Internet speeds

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STV

Reaction score
Just curious, what download speeds do you all have? I just switched from Hughes Net satellite which was 1.5 Mbps to DSL at 3.0 Mbps.

Last edited:
Just curious, what download speeds do you all have? I just switched from Hughes Net satellite which was 1.5 Mbps to DSL at 3.0 Mbps.

I've got 700k. They actually call that broadband here in Australia. To be fair, it's wireless. I could get up to 24Mbps on ADSL2++, but that's not available in the remote location that is our house. The bush and quietness is nice though!

Long story, but we live in a resort estate - it has its own communications infrastructure. Broadband is available via the body corporate through the "fibre to the home" infrastructure and distributed around the house at jaw-dropping rates. So we use the wireless!

Last edited:
I've got 700k. They actually call that broadband here in Australia. To be fair, it's wireless. I could get up to 24Mbps on ADSL2++, but that's not available in the remote location that is our house. The bush and quietness is nice though!

Long story, but we live in a resort estate - it has its own communications infrastructure. Broadband is available via the body corporate through the "fibre to the home" infrastructure and distributed around the house at jaw-dropping rates. So we use the wireless!

When things got really congested, speeds via the HughesNet I had would range between 800k-1.0Mbps. Now that I'm at 3.0Mbps at a pretty much constant rate I am so much happier.

700k for a wireless connection is pretty decent. I'm sure 24Mbps ADSL2++ would be the ultimate, but like you said the tranquility of where you're at is worth the tradeoff.:)

Verizon Fios - 5 meg down, 1 up. I can get up to 20/20 if I want.

5 Mbps download/1 Mbps upload is sweet.:) Right now the fastest I can get is 3.0, while other areas of my state can get up to 12 Mbps. I sure wish FIOS was available where I live, I would LOVE to have 20/20.

We sure have come a very long way since the days of dial up.:D

Just ran five tests using this tester here. The results varied quite a bit, getting the download/upload pairs in mbps of 4.5/0.47, 2.6/0.57, 3.8/0.67, 4.8/0.45, and 2.9/0.48.
This is a good test site: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
I'm on Cox Cable and just got 13.77 Mbps down and (as always) 563 Kbps up. But then it gives transfer rates(?)

Last Result:
Download Speed: 13770 kbps (1733.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 563 kbps (68.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

So what does that mean? See what you get using this site. I'd be interested in comparing.

Last edited:
I'm on comcast cable (It's Comcastic! Not!). Just measured download speed at 1352 kbps (169 kbps transfer rate) and upload speed 1881 kbps (235 kbps transfer rate).

I'm on Cox Cable and just got 13.77 Mbps down and (as always) 563 Kbps up. But then it gives transfer rates(?)

Last Result:

So what does that mean? See what you get using this site. I'd be interested in comparing.

I got 731 kbps down
223 kbps up.........using your tester

I have AT&T DSL and hit 5 megs down and 760k up. When I was on Comcast with power boost I would get as high as 10 megs down and 500k up. Comcast cable TV sucks. I love my direct TV!!!

Using kcl's tester I got 1630 kbps DL and 501kbps UL. (from W.VA.)
Using nsarch's tester my fastest DL was from Dallas, at 7222 kbps and slowest DL was from Seattle, at 3736 kbps. My UL speeds varied from 513 kbps (LA &DC) to 522 kbps from Chicago.

Last Result:

I did the test and here are my results. I have verizon FIOS. A little quicker I think. :devil:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 20686 kbps (2585.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4575 kbps (571.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Holy Moly George! Are you getting that with STANDARD FiOS, or are you paying a premium for the faster speeds??? I'm only getting 10384 Down, and 1680 Up, with the standard triple-play FiOS package (Phone, TV, Net).

Just did the speed test using Speakeasy:

My results

Download Speed: 2924 kbps (365.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 325 kbps (40.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

O.K., this is weird. Which tester do you trust? Using the Frontier Communications tester, I get faster upload speeds than download speeds and they are both consistently low (under 1000 kbps download and about 1500 kbps upload.

But using the speakeasy tester, I consistently get download speeds of around 10,000 kbps and upload speeds of 2300 kbps. I tend to think the speakeasy test is more accurate.

O.K., this is weird. Which tester do you trust? Using the Frontier Communications tester, I get faster upload speeds than download speeds and they are both consistently low (under 1000 kbps download and about 1500 kbps upload.

But using the speakeasy tester, I consistently get download speeds of around 10,000 kbps and upload speeds of 2300 kbps. I tend to think the speakeasy test is more accurate.

Are you sure the first tester is not quoting in kB/sec instead of kbps? ie. 1/8th the speed?

George, all fiber is a good thing!!!!:bowdown:

. . . . . so does anyone know the what the 'transfer rate' refers to and what its relationship is to the raw download/upload speeds? Or is Google going to get another click-through!

I have Time-Warner Roadrunner, and here are my test results:

Frontier:
Upload-----351 Kbps
Download--6634Kbps

Speakeasy (Washington DC Server):
Upload-----363 Kbps
Download--6609Kbps

Speakeasy (Atlanta Server):
Upload-----355 Kbps
Download--6620Kbps

Speakeasy (Seattle WA Server):
Upload-----356 Kbps
Download--6303Kbps

Pretty speedy I think, considering this is cable. We have the full digital package--VoIP, Digital Cable TV, and Cable Internet. Considering all three formats are shared on the same bit of copper coax, I think these speeds are more than acceptable. The upload speeds sort of suck, but the downloads are more than zippy enough, and we've got three laptops currently hooked up and running. I omagine if I had just one computer running, and turned off the cable box, my speeds would go up a little...

But, FiOS would be sweet. When we were at DTB300's house last year for the DC-area Martin Logan Meet, he was just talking about getting the FiOS hooked up. Those numbers are AMAZING. Man, it looks like the only thing faster than FiOS is to get your own dedicated T-1 line dropped, but I imagine that is considerably more expensive.

As it stands, FiOS is not available in NC to my knowledge, except maybe in the Ashville area (western tip of state) and perhaps in the RTP area. Nothing at all down here in the "Sand Hills"...

But our cable speeds are pretty snappy, so I'm happy most of the time.

--Richard

Last edited:
Man, it looks like the only thing faster than FiOS is to get your own dedicated T-1 line dropped, but I imagine that is considerably more expensive.

Actually, FiOS exceeds T1 speeds by quite a lot. A single T1 circuit is 1540Kbps up and down (24 channels x 64Kbps per channel). My office has a 'bonded T1' with two circuits for a 3MB circuit (really 3072 Kbps) which is ideal for hosting our own servers. Several companies are offering bonded T1s with up to 9 Mbps, after which it becomes more reasonable to look at fractional T3 circuits.

Now if I can just get RoadRunner to admit that they're throttling my cable modem connection at home. I get 1.5 Mbps down/~450Kbps up consistently with tests from Speakeasy, but 8-10 Mbps down when testing with RoadRunner's own speed tests. :(

- Jason

. . . . . so does anyone know the what the 'transfer rate' refers to and what its relationship is to the raw download/upload speeds? Or is Google going to get another click-through!

Line speed is usually measured in kilobits per second. Transfer rate is generally kilobytes per second. That is, 1 byte = 8 bits. So divide by eight.

Back