Black Diamond Racing wide pucks

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Thanks to Rich, I purchased eight of these (BDR calls them "pits") to decouple my Summits from my hardwood floor.

They are 3/4" high / 3-1/2" diameter.

When Rich was here listening to my system, he said that the bass was a bit uncontrolled. Having listened to the Summits, as well as the SL3's spiked directly into the floor for some 7 years now, I was skeptical.

It took about a minute to hear the improvement. No more vibrations coming through my very solid wood floor, which not only made bass pitch definition / extension much better but also eliminated any micro vibrations from the panel resulting in a much more engaging listening experience.

Once the pucks were installed, the lower end was attenuated a bit but all that was, IHMO, was a vibration induced "warmth" to the overall sound with the speakers coupled directly to the floor.

I adjusted the 25 and 50HZ crossover controls slightly and the warmth was back without any vibrations with a low end that blends much better with the panel. There also appears to be a reduction in the overall noise floor of my system, which was pretty low prior to installing the pucks.

My guess is that the additional height / vibration control, along with Jason's marvelous spikes installed in the rear of the Summits, allows the down firing driver to "project" sound much better into the room.

Pricey ($83 / each) but highly recommended for those who have a similiar setup.

This again reconfirms my personal experience, over many years, that elimination of any vibrations from the system yields positive, audible results.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon, glad to hear I was of some help to you. I thought decoupling your Summits from your floor would help. Sometimes it just takes a pair of fresh ears to hear the limitations in our systems, we become so used to the sounds they make. That's why having others come over and give a critical listen is so important. Can't wait to get back out there again sometime and listen to your system again. By the way, we have a new addition to the family now. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

By the way, we have a new addition to the family now. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Rich, Congrats to you and Cindy, I trust mother and baby are doing well !!

Rich, Congrats to you and Cindy, I trust mother and baby are doing well !!

Rich,

Congrats on the new addition!! I trust all is well! Enjoy what is probably one of the biggest accomplishments of your life. I wish nothing but the best for you, my friend!

:)

Joey

Congratulations Rich and Cindy! Gordon, I have also been using BDR pucks under my Summits with essentially the same results as you. I highly recommend them to anyone with Summits.

Rich and Cindy - GREAT NEWS! Always good to welcome a new audiophile to the fold.

Gordon, I haven't been using the BDR cones or pucks under my speakers, but I did help arrange for a few sets to be given away at the National Get Together earlier this year. They are a class company to do business with.

I do use cones and pucks under almost all of my other equipment, so I'll have to give this suggestion a try.

Attachments

• BDR1.jpg
    BDR1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 751
Congratulations Rich and Cindy!!!

Glad all went well and I trust Mom and the new Jackson are doing well.

Best regards.

Gordon

Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone. I posted a picture in the off-topic forum.

Back