Best Center Channel for Vantage Speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRS2413

Reaction score
Hi all. I tend to be pretty indecisive at times, and I'm having a hard time making a decision on a center channel. I'm trying to decide between Stage and Motif. Just wanted to get an opinion of other ML owners as I've heard they are both viable options. Movies and music are equally important to me. Right now it will be driven by a Denon 2809ci AVR, but I plan to pick up separates later. I just sold my Matinee (which, on a separate note, never was a good fit with my Purities) but the sizing is just right to fit under my TV--Motif would be a painless replacement. The Stage is so tall it would require me to put my TV up on a mount, but it's a minor cost for larger drivers and more output. I ran into a pretty serious problem with the Purity/Matinee combo and didn't fully do my research before purchase. It was sort of an after thought purchase with my receiver...oops...and the Purities seriously overpowered the center channel. So now, here I am, in the midst of a full system upgrade, trying to do it right this time around by spending some time trying to figure out the best sonic match for the Vantage's.

It's my understanding is that the Motif was designed for the Vantage's and the Stage was designed for Reserve models, specifically the Summit X/Spire. Id like to hear other user's experiences. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Hi all. I tend to be pretty indecisive at times, and I'm having a hard time making a decision on a center channel. I'm trying to decide between Stage and Motif. Just wanted to get an opinion of other ML owners as I've heard they are both viable options. Movies and music are equally important to me. Right now it will be driven by a Denon 2809ci AVR, but I plan to pick up separates later. I just sold my Matinee (which, on a separate note, never was a good fit with my Purities) but the sizing is just right to fit under my TV--Motif would be a painless replacement. The Stage is so tall it would require me to put my TV up on a mount, but it's a minor cost for larger drivers and more output. I ran into a pretty serious problem with the Purity/Matinee combo and didn't fully do my research before purchase. It was sort of an after thought purchase with my receiver...oops...and the Purities seriously overpowered the center channel. So now, here I am, in the midst of a full system upgrade, trying to do it right this time around by spending some time trying to figure out the best sonic match for the Vantage's.

It's my understanding is that the Motif was designed for the Vantage's and the Stage was designed for Reserve models, specifically the Summit X/Spire. Id like to hear other user's experiences. Any recommendations?

I have heard the motif and own the matinee to go with my sources . The motif is not the big step forward that you seem to want to take I would go with a stage or if you can find a theater in good condition

The latter 2 should give you a serious boost in performance for HT and if I could afford it right now I would go for a stage .

The stage has a huge pannel and 6 1/2 inch drivers so if you can afford it then its a no brainer

I ran into a pretty serious problem with the Purity/Matinee combo and didn't fully do my research before purchase. It was sort of an after thought purchase with my receiver...oops...and the Purities seriously overpowered the center channel.

The Motif is pretty much exactly the same as the Matinee, only with slightly upgraded drivers, all metal grills, and a better mounting bracket... They literally have the same cabinet.

It sounds like you probably need to either go with the Stage, or adjust the output level of your center channel on your surround processor.

According to some on here, the Stage is more acoustic similar to Vantages more than Summits. So, if you can afford it, then Stage is the way to go...love my Stage with Vantages.

I'm using my Vantage as the front left and right, and the Motif as the center. I'm using the Fresco i's as the rear left and right, and a Focal sw800v as the sub. The entire setup is powered by a Denon 3310ci. The Motif matches well with the Vantage. I haven't experienced any noticable issues. I haven't experienced the stage in person, but I imagine you cannot go wrong with getting a bigger center channel. Both of our receivers have Audyssey, so you won't have a problem with calibrating the speaker.

According to some on here, the Stage is more acoustic similar to Vantages more than Summits. So, if you can afford it, then Stage is the way to go...love my Stage with Vantages.

+1 for the Stage. It can keep up with the Vantage in terms of output. But nothing wrong with the motif either. I have also found that there are no center speakers that is a true match for the Vantage. Run white or pink noise through the Vantage and then to a center, you'll hear the difference. A lot harder to tell when you're playing real material.

Last edited:
PRS,

If you can't swing the Stage and are looking at pre-owned, I use an "original" Cinema (not the "i") center channel with a set of Vantages with absolutely zero complaints. They may not be "paired to perfection", but it all works very well together to my ears.

Just 2 cents.

Hello,
I have been using a Stage with my Vantages for around 3 years and could not be happier. Especially if looking used, the difference in price is so close that the Stage really is the way to go.

There was an excellent Review done by Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity where they tested the Summit X, Stage, Vista, and Descent i. Not only did the Reviewer find the Stage to be one of the finest CC he has ever Reviewed, he found it matched better when paired with the Vista than with the Summit X. Kinda makes sense as the Stage and Vista both use the original Xstat Panel and not the CLX based Xstat on all ESL's since the Spire was released.
Here is the link:http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/home...artinlogan-home-theater-system.html?showall=1
Cheers,
JJ

Stage might be the best center channel ever made

I can't speak to how well the Stage would match the Vantages, but I use mine with Summit Xs and could not be happier. I have not yet heard any other center channel that is its equal. The Stage was the main reason I put so much effort into getting my Summits to sound good in my room.

Back