best cd player under $2k

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap Sony vs. Expensive Sony SACD Player

Has anybody compared a expensive Sony SACD player with a cheap one like
an SCD-CE775 and an SCD-1? Is the sound quality that much better?
(See my earlier post)

Thanks,
Ernie.

at the moment, my system consists of ascent i speakers, pass labs x250 amp, and (don't laugh please.... i have it for sale) a denon 3803 receiver used as a pre/pro and denon dcm 280 cd player. the cd player is the weakest link, followed by my receiver. anyways, my plans are, in the next few weeks, to purchase a very good cd player used and then in a few months, get either the anthem d1 pre/pro or an ead 8800 pro. not much more at that price range that have received so many great reviews. i am leaning towards the anthem more, but if anyone has suggestions/comments, feel free to speak. so, keeping in mind these choices being used as a direct (pass through) 2 channel analogue pre/amp, will cary or musical feidelity setup (for example) be overkill. i will be using the cd players internal dacs regardless, followed by my all nordost spm, quattro fil and vishnu setup. what do you all think?

Anthony, I came from a EAD Theatremaster Encore and was very impressed that it could hold its own against dedicated CD plays from the high-end. EAD service and support was also top notch but that was before they were bought out by AlphaDigital.

I now use a Yamaha RX-V2400 as a pre/pro and feel it is maybe 85% of the EAD in terms of HT quality but out to left field for 2ch duties....

EricE said:
I now use a Yamaha RX-V2400 as a pre/pro and feel it is maybe 85% of the EAD in terms of HT quality but out to left field for 2ch duties....

I have the 1400 - step below the 2400, and while it is a "warm" sounding unit, I would agree with you on the HT Quality. Great unit for watching movies. Wish I had the $$$ for a Lexicon or an Anthem...

For MCH music, it has a warm, laid back tonal character to it - but then again I only use it to power my center and rears in a 7.1 - Main speakers and Surround speakers are Pre-Out to dedicated amps.

Dan

Back