best cd player under $2k

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the Resolution Audio Opus 21 cd player. It is a fantastic machine.

A review can be found at:
A review
Cheers
Marc.

Mf

SugarMedia said:
Check out "Musical Fidelity."

Especially the 'X-Ray' and 'A5' - they both offer outstanding sound for the money. A warning though - the A5 is a very limited production run so get one quick if you want it!

Cheers,

David

Ack!

I have heard good things about the Scott Nixon Tube DAC, the Audio Note DAC's, and the Ack! Dac. I have a Bel Canto DAC 1.1. I rarely listen it. It doesn't really hold a candle compared to my vinyl set-up.

its been awhile, but im still looking. the problem is that i like to try things out but buy from the net (used market). i don't like going to different dealers and try out their stuff only to return it and get it elsewhere. what should i do? how can i audition these players (in store) and still get a rather accurate presentation of its sound without having all my "parts" in the chain? what do you all do in these situations?

AnthonyA,
A tough question for sure. I do a lot of listening in stores with either the same or as close of the type of euipment I have. For me it is never easy and sometimes I just have to make a choice bad or good. For the most part I have do failrly well. It also comes down to satisfaction and trade-offs.

Not much help but I would be curious to see what others do. In my case there are not lot of places that are local so I would have to drive at least 100 miles, which I have done, to compare.

Jeff

yeah, i guess sometimes you have to take a chance. i just came back from a dealer audition today and listened to a cary 308 cdp vs. a shantling 100t cdp. well, both units are very nice, but the cary was remarkably natural sounding. i auditioned with a song that had fingers snapping (don't laugh ... i can't remember right now). well, the cary was not as sharp as the shantling but man was it ever realistic. i snapped my fingers afterwards and it sounded exactly the same. so, i'm currently thinking of a cary either 308 or 303/200. also i was wondering if anyone had any good success with the ayre cx-7 or wadia 830/301? i really am looking for comparison tests are any insight to help me decide. on a side note, i am an ht/2 channel setup meaning i will have a good pre/pro in the future, no preamp. what is the best solution.... use a good cdp's internal dacs (analogue) hopefully having a volume control (like the cary) so i can run them direct to my amps or using the pre/pro's pass through?

Shanling tube player is unbelievable with ML's You can start with a new one for around 1500 and upgrade the tubes for about 80 and down the road send it to be moded and upgade for even better sound. PS it looks cool as hell!

Don't hesitate! Go chinese! Jolida JD100A, and now 100S, Cayin CDT17, Shanling 200, Original Leonardo...All are top-class performers with Valve output, and btw, look at the price...! :)

Anthony A. said:
the problem is that i like to try things out but buy from the net (used market). i don't like going to different dealers and try out their stuff only to return it and get it elsewhere.

I hate to say it, but I think if we work with a local dealer to audition equipment and find something we like, we owe it to the dealer to give them the business at their premium rate. It's tough, but if we want knowledgeable, personable local service to remain viable in today's economy, I don't see another option. It sounds like you might feel the same way.

Hello,

Taz said:
Shanling tube player is unbelievable with ML's You can start with a new one for around 1500 and upgrade the tubes for about 80 and down the road send it to be moded and upgade for even better sound. PS it looks cool as hell!

I use a pair of SL-3's, and I've had the opportunity to play with the CD-T100, SCD-T200 and recently the CD-T300 from Shanling as well as pretty much every CD player from Musical Fidelity over the last couple of years. The Shanling's are universally great machines, though I'm a bit of an anachronism in that I prefer Shanling's from their direct, none valve outputs generally, though the new CD-T300 is devastatingly good, but at a touch under $7,000 is a little over budget here. I actually prefer the SCD-T200 for CD replay over the 100, the 200 having a little more air and better image focus compared with the 100, but having said that the 100 is a bargain.

From the Musical Fidelity range, if you're on a budget a used A3.2 is still great value, though it is VERY direct and honest, this unit does tend to highlight any flaw in the original recording ruthlessly, but in terms of resolving power and image focus it is great value. The A308 CD player is a touch more forgiving, a shade warmer in the lower registers with incredible bass power and drive, a huge dynamic range and a vast lateral image. These are also great value used. If you already have a decent CD player then the Tri Vista 21 DAC is a sensational buy, and probably the best DAC I've heard under £5,000 UKP. If I was really nitpicking, I'd say there is a hint of extra warmt in the upper bass and lower midrange, but that's being really picky against a dCS Delius DAC. The new A5 is a great player. I only had one for about 10 days and it was still running in, but it clearly is a World class competitor at it's price point.

A slightly leftfield choice could be the Perpetual Technologies P-3A Modwright Singature and P-1A with Modwright PSU. I've had this combo now for a little over 3 years and it still amazes me that it's competitive in such a fast moving area of the market. If you can pick a P-1A up used then a new P-3A to use with it makes for a bargain.

I hope you've found this useful and I've not droned on too much.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards,

Dave

a few have told me that by using a pre/pro as a 2 channel pass through, it is unnecessary to get a good cdp. although i was told to use the cdp's internal dacs regardless as opposed to the digital outs, i'm a bit torn (confused) if i will be wasting my money on a $2k used player as opposed to a $1k used player. what are your thoughts? will the pre/pro kill the cdps abilities?

Hi,

Anthony A. said:
a few have told me that by using a pre/pro as a 2 channel pass through, it is unnecessary to get a good cdp. although i was told to use the cdp's internal dacs regardless as opposed to the digital outs, i'm a bit torn (confused) if i will be wasting my money on a $2k used player as opposed to a $1k used player. what are your thoughts? will the pre/pro kill the cdps abilities?

I tend to find blanket statements like this to be dangerous at best and lethal at worst. What pre/pro are you using and what amplification? Some pre/pro's do have superb analogue pass through capabilities, likewise there are one or two with very good DAC's.

Regards,

Dave

analogueaddict said:
Hi,

I tend to find blanket statements like this to be dangerous at best and lethal at worst. What pre/pro are you using and what amplification? Some pre/pro's do have superb analogue pass through capabilities, likewise there are one or two with very good DAC's.

Regards,

Dave

I would go the opposite route and pass the processor through a two channel preamp.

Ultra cheap CD player...Sounds Awesome!

I have two cd players, a Wadia 830 ($1500 used) and a Sony SCD-CE775 multi-disc SACD player (around $400 new but discontinued).

Current system is Gamut D200 Mk II and Gamut C2R driving Martin Logan Ascent I's.

The Wadia is has a lot of high end transparency that brings out a huge amount of detail especially with the ML's. However, does not sound it's best with brighter recordings....it tends to sound kind of etched and a little thin. I run it straight through the preamp utilizing the Gamut's bypass stage.

The Sony sounds completely different and for some reason sounds better with many recordings. With many recordings, it actually has a bigger soundstage and more air with just slightly less detail in the highs (redbook and SACD). Very strange...when I first got it, the sound was dry with no depth at all. I even put it away in my closet for a while...I hated it so much.

Then, I read a post somewhere that said to leave it on continuously for a week. After I did this, there was an amazing change..however, I had to leave it on for about two months straight and the sound really changed...wow... I leave it on continuously now.

I like the Sony so much, that I'm thinking of switching to something like a used SCD-1.....but I can't imagine the sound being that much better! My only regret is that it is kind of cheaply constructed and the drawer gets stuck a lot.

If anyone has an opportunity to buy one of these...there's one on Audiogon for $150 ...grab it now. If you already have a cd player, get it for a second player. You may find yourself listening to this more than your $2K cd player....seriously!

Ernie.

analogueaddict said:
Hi,

Regards,

Dave
Agreed! IMO If your pre pro does not have a great analogue section looking at a $2000 CD player is probally overkill to use it as a transport. Then again if your pre does not maybe that is where you start your upgrade path I do not think you mention your speakers or pre/amp set up now that I think of it and really that will make a big dif.

I agree with ernio1 as I also run a Sony DVP-9000ES. It is a excellent red book CD player and SACD player to boot. I don't actually use it's DVD features.... :p

I compaired it against several high-end CD players including a Wadia 860 and it more than held it's own IMHO. (not that I have golden ears :D )

It's built like a brick too so transport qualities are not a concern for me.

I recently bought a used Jolida 602b tube ouput CD player for my dad's b-day present. It came with some NOS Mullard tubes. I hooked it up to my system before I gave it to him. For a couple hundred dollars, it is a very nice sounding player. It is more listenable than my Bel Canto DAC 1.1. My dad thinks its great. Far better than his couple year old, plain vanilla Sony DVD player.

Back