AVR for my setup..

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holiday

Reaction score
I will be using my setup mostly for movies in a Home theater room that is 20x14

I have:
2 Motion 12s for fronts
4 Motion 10s for sides and rears
Motion C center
2 Dynamo 500s for subs.

Most people are recommending a Denon 4311 or some saying a Pioneer Sc-61 or Sc-65..

I only plan on using it for movies with my projector and a little bit of gaming so I dont need all the bells and whistles.. Any good way to go or is spend over 1300 a must?

While I can't recommend as specific model I've had good results in the past with both Denon and Onkyo. I still have a Denon piece in my TV room.

Denon. Buy through Crutchfield. Lifetime product support.

$1,300 is plenty.

Only issue is volume required, which will impact what model you select.

GG

Any advice on models though this is where its driving me nuts.. I never owned any good audio equipment and I have people telling me at local shops all different things.. Anywhere from a Denon 4311 all the way to a Pioneer VSX-60.

There's been a lot of HDMI hardware issues with recent Onkyo products...including a TX-NR807 that lasted just under a year for me (about the average, it seems from reports on avsforum.com). I'm done with Onkyo...just bought a Marantz to replace it after a power surge last week fried most of the HDMI board again.

Wow a power surge fried it? Do you suggest a power conditioner or somethign then? What speakers were you running with the 807

Holiday,

Go with the Denon 3313CI. About $1,200 through Crutchfield with a 60 day return option.

Gordon

Gordon appreciate the advice but the 4431 can be had for almost around that...

My thing is...

Would I be better off buying like a:

Denon 3313
Pioneer Sc-61
or something around the 700-1000 mark and getting a Emotiva 3 Way amp to do my fronts?

Or should I just go with something like the 4311 or the Pioneer Sc-65 and not worry about the amp?

What do you guys think of the Marantz SR7005?
Their AV7005 processor has rave reviews.

I was wondering that as well.. You can get that item now for $1000 shipped.

But most saying at that price range stick with either a Denon or a pioneer

Wow a power surge fried it? Do you suggest a power conditioner or somethign then? What speakers were you running with the 807

I was using a surge protected power strip. I'll have to look for something better. I have ML Vantages, a ML Motif, and a ML Descent sub. The Onkyo wasn't "enough" to drive the Vantages, or Motif, so I added an Emotiva XPA-2 and UPA-1 to drive them.

What do you guys think of the Marantz SR7005?
Their AV7005 processor has rave reviews.

I was wondering that as well.. You can get that item now for $1000 shipped.

But most saying at that price range stick with either a Denon or a pioneer

I already have a Marantz CD player, and there were a lot of issues reported with the Denon 3312, IIRC, on avsforum, so I researched the Marantz AV/SR 7005 and SR6006 models pretty extensively. Ultimately I chose the SR6006, because it had comparable features, and was at least $400 cheaper than I could find the two-year old 7005 models for when I was looking last week. Crutchfield had the SR6006 priced about $800 cheaper than the SR7005.

I can't report about the SR6006 yet because I haven't opened the box from Crutchfield. I've been waiting for my local ML dealer to get my Vantage fixed.

Can't comment on Pioneer...no experience with them.

Ya you have a better setup then me and thats probably why you needed the Emotiva.. Im thinking with my Motion 12s I wont need a Amp if I run something good for a AVR.. Denon 4311 or Pioneer Sc-65 should do it plenty .. And for some reason I think it might be overkill

my vote is for the 4311, as it has plenty of power, but more importantly, it has Audyssey XT32, which is a very high-performing room corrector that also can handle two subs and time-align each independently.

I will offer a somewhat different opinion... I have an Onkyo tx-nr809 and use it with a Motion based system. 135 watts per channel and it is over 40 lbs in weight. It is all you would need for your system IMO. The new ones are out now, and the comparable model is the tx-nr818. Similar specs except it has the audyssey xt32. Amazon price is in the 800's. Plenty of receiver for a motion system. Rule of thumb is the place to spend extra $ first is on speakers, not a fortune on a receiver for a system with speakers that total in the area of some receivers you have been recommended. Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.

Latest posts

Back