Autoformers vs Direct Coupled?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I currently have a Sonos - Channel Islands VDA-2 DAC - Juicy Music Peach II Preamp - B&K 200.2 amplifier -ML Ethos set up. I am happy with the overall sound but have thought about simplifying the system and moving the Peach/B&K combo to another room for my previous speakers Klipsch RF-7s and replacing the Peach/B&K with a Mcintosh Integrated. I have narrowed it down to 2 products $3500 - MA252 (Hybrid design, tube preamp section and 100 / 160 watts 8 and 4 ohm respectively direct coupled amplifier) or the $6500 MA7200 (100% solid state integrated with 200 watts into 8/4/2 ohm, + modular DAC section) amplifier.

Pros: of the MA252, price, tubes in the front end, (No autoformers?)
Cons: No DAC, no meters, slightly less power (no autoformers?)

Pros: of the MA7200, DAC section, easy of use, blue meters
Cons: No Tubes, (Autoformers?)

From a pure sound perspective which would likely match better for ML Ethos? a Hybrid Direct Coupled integrated or a Full Solid State with Autoformers? Will both configurations improve upon my current set up? The $1500 B&K is 15+ years old and the tube preamp was around $1500

So what did you do?

Currently I use a tube pre which is direct coupled w solid state amp. I like the tube / SS combo.
I just don't know the mac gear that well. Seems like some are liked way better than others. There is a huge Mac group on audioaficianado.

Sorry for the late reply

Haven't done anything yet. I like my current set up, the Peach has had a few problems in the past but is working fine now. When i do upgrade, I am thinking of either the MA252 or a used MA7900, can't find a used 7200 yet. The MA252 is really appealing as it has what i need and nothing more so I am not paying for features i don't need. The only downside is the power. Is 160 watts into 4 ohms enough for the Ethos? I am getting lots of conflicting information. I know it will be loud enough but have read / heard that the bigger 7900 type Macs have a bigger power supplies and will be more powerful / dynamic. However, I went to a local Audio Advice and they are using the Primaluna HP integrated to drive their 11as which is 70 watts per channel. I understand tubes are different but it is still confusing that some say 160 is not enough while other say 70 is more than enough.

The MA7900 would be a safe choice but more $ (2-3K) and would not have any tubes. Does that matter? I don't really know

Back