Integrated amp advice for ML

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

Robert D

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Arcam SA30 integrated. It sounded great and has Dirac Live which is a big advantage when it comes to blending a sub with your stats. Don't let the size fool you, it is a substantial piece of gear. Arcam SA30 Integrated Amplifier
How does class G do with the Martin Logan electrostats? I think class D is not recommended?

DaVinci Media

MLO Vendor
Reaction score
I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Arcam SA30 integrated. It sounded great and has Dirac Live which is a big advantage when it comes to blending a sub with your stats. Don't let the size fool you, it is a substantial piece of gear. Arcam SA30 Integrated Amplifier
I like both of them but I don’t think there’s really a fair comparison here the STR is definitely better than the halo integrated. Especially once you throw in the arc room correction. That being said I might prefer the anthem preamp combined with say a JC five stereo amp. I think overall the parasound amplifiers are better. They obviously are an amplifier manufacturer first. The anthem amplifiers are option limited where there is a vast number of Halo amps not to mention just the parasound amps.The arc software however is a game changer. I’ve never been a big DSP fan but at the price point it’s superior to the other options out there.

Northy

Reaction score
i think i do want SS so the Pass Labs would be great if I can find one in my price range. I saw a used Levinson 5802 which looks nice since I am only using digital sources.

anyone have any experience with the Cary si300 or the Luxman 507 or 505?

Another Pass Labs owner chiming in here, although I have the XA 30.8 + XP 22 - roughly for $17K for the three units. I realize this is outside of your budget. But as mentioned above, if you can get your hand on a used INT 25, you will be in audio bliss. Pass and ML make magic. Good luck and let us know.

macallan

Reaction score
I also saw that audio research has a new tube integrated the i/50. Obviously this would be tube and not SS but with the powered bass in the Ethos 50w may be enough

Big Dog RJ

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that 50w of tube power would be more than adequate, especially with hybrid stats. The bass and very low frequencies are taken care of by the built-in LF amplifiers. Although these are the real low notes, the upper bass and mid-bass is still reproduced by the stat panels.

I think I mentioned the ARC i50 before but thought you weren't interested in tubes. If it does interest you then there's a whole other world of fine quality tube gear that I would very highly recommend:
Conrad johnson CAV45 series 2
ARC i50
VTL IT85
Manley Labs Stingray II
Kondo Audio Note Overture

Amongst many others I've had direct experience with, the ones listed above, are the ones I've either owned or tried on my own ML's and Quad ESL's. The first three are superb value for money and they all have different sonic characters. The CJ CAV45 S2 won an award recently in a unique category of tube integrated amplifiers. The last one, K-AN Overture is one of the best money can buy, pure Class A 32w but is quite pricey!

The choice is yours!
Note: with ARC when it comes to their tube amps, you have to install matched pairs or matched quads of tubes, that's the particular way ARC has designed their gear.

Best, RJ

BDH55

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
To name a few: CJ, ARC, VTL, Manley Labs, Jadis, Lamm Audio, NAT, Quad, Cary Audio, Kondo Audio Note, Carver, Ayon, McIntosh, and Sonic Frontiers are just a few I've owned and sold during our dealership years. Put together so many top end tube based systems with panel type speakers over years, and each system was a joy to experience.
Big Dog, do you have any direct experience with either the Lamm M1.2 or M2.2 mono blocks driving the ML's? Lamm is one of the manufacturers I'm not sure I have ever seen mentioned in this forum...

Big Dog RJ

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yes! Very much so with both the M1.2 and 2.2. Both very highly capable and the M2.2 being the most powerful in monoblock version. It has a higher Class A bias compared to the M1.2, both are quite similar upon first impressions. Then when you turn things up on the M2.2 it really takes off! Both are designed for reactive loads, so ideal on panel type speakers, especially those notorious impedence curves found in full range stats and Apogee's.

Have auditioned these with Apogee Diva's, Maggie MG20, and Quad 2912's when I owned these types of speakers. I think the main reason Lamm is not mentioned much is simply because they're pricey. Their gear in Aus is top dollar, as everything else is in the highend...

Lamm's ML series, 2 and series 3, which are SE tube gear, is a whole other level and real top price. I've not personally tried these at home but had the opportunity of experiencing their tube gear at private demos. Although low in power output compared to their SS counterparts, they can really deliver some serious current & voltage that falls into that Pure Class A category of Single Ended design.
After extensive experience on their SE tube gear, is what motivated me to modify my CJ monoblocks towards a higher Class A bias.

If you can afford Lamm gear, it's pretty much the end game in terms of "fine amplification" it's an extraordinary performance! As I've mentioned on other forums, if not for CJ, since I'm passionate about tubes, I wouldn't hesitate one bit on either Lamm, Kondo Audio Note or VAC, they're all in a class of their own when it comes to top-end tube gear.

Cheers, RJ

BDH55

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Oh yes! Very much so with both the M1.2 and 2.2. Both very highly capable and the M2.2 being the most powerful in monoblock version. It has a higher Class A bias compared to the M1.2, both are quite similar upon first impressions. Then when you turn things up on the M2.2 it really takes off! Both are designed for reactive loads, so ideal on panel type speakers, especially those notorious impedence curves found in full range stats and Apogee's.

Have auditioned these with Apogee Diva's, Maggie MG20, and Quad 2912's when I owned these types of speakers. I think the main reason Lamm is not mentioned much is simply because they're pricey. Their gear in Aus is top dollar, as everything else is in the highend...
RJ, wow, thx for the great feedback! I am going to DM you to avoid hijacking this thread anymore than I already have...

Big Dog RJ

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I also saw that audio research has a new tube integrated the i/50. Obviously this would be tube and not SS but with the powered bass in the Ethos 50w may be enough
So just checking in... what amplifier did you finally decide on? Or you're not yet decided...?
Have you made a short list of the top three by preference and auditioned them? That would be the best way to go to avoid the confusion, since sky's the limit!
Interested to know, since I previously owned the Ethos.

Best, RJ