Subwoofer for Ethos?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I am currently using a Klipsch RSW-15 with my Ethos in a 2.1 set up with a mixed use of Music and TV/Movies. Music is my top priority but I do watch movies from time to time in 2.1 Here is my question.

I have a tubed preamp (Juicy Music Peach II) and B&K 200.2 amplifier to drive the Ethos. I would like to sell my Klipsch RF-7s and matching RSW-15 so I will need a new subwoofer.

I have narrowed it down to the following. They range from $1,200 - 2K

Martin Logan 1100x Pros: Cheapest option, should blend well with Ethos, has ARC which i would really like since i don't have any room correction currently) Cons: Is going from a 15" Klipsch to a 12" a step down?

Martin Logan 1600X Pros: Larger driver, should play lower, also has ARC) Cons: Will it suffer at all for music? Larger overall cabinet is less aesthetically pleasing

SVS -SB 4000 (No ARC but has a remote to control crossover, volume, phase) Pros:App controlled, much heavier unit, likely the best in terms of sheer output. Cons: Will it match the Ethos? Is this more geared to HT, does that matter?

JL Audio E112 No remote control or ARC. Pros: JL has a solid reputation for music. Cons: No app, no ARC. JL recommends 80hz crossover setting, I plan to run the Ethos full range and cross the sub over at 40-45hz.

I've got a SVS PC-4000 and it shakes the walls literally. My Ethos could shake things hanging on the walls, but not the walls themselves.

This subwoofer goes low enough and with so much authority that it is scary, as in we are having an earth quake scary. I had to dial mine back quite a bit to get them to match, but it will depend a lot on your room.

For movies..... OMG!

For music they do very well and after tweaking both the bass on the back of the Ethos and the subwoofer roll off, both frequency and fall off, I found I could get them to match. Granted that will depend on your room.

I have two systems, my media room has Definitive surround speakers and the PC-4000 in a large room with a large wrap around couch and exercise equipment. My Ethos stay on the main level and the subwoofer ends up closer to where I'm sitting so I have to dial it way back or it dominates, but once it is setup it blends well and feels pretty seamless to me.

I only had my sub up with the Ethos for a short period of time, but I was very impressed with how it sounded.

It has 3 ports which you can plug or leave open. They effect the frequency range and intensity somewhat. It is louder and goes lower with all three ports open. To me it sounds more natural open, but I think that will depend a great deal on how it is interacting with your room.

I think the important take away is that I got them to match two very different speaker systems and two very different rooms. It feels like a natural extension almost all of the time. There are a few instances in my media room where it can draw attention to itself, but mated with the Ethos it felt very good and natural.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, what crossover setting do you find works best to blend with the Ethos on the SVS?

Thanks for the response, what crossover setting do you find works best to blend with the Ethos on the SVS?

This is where things get complicated and vary dramatically by room.

For example I don't have my Ethos set to the same bass setting normally. My left is at -2db and my right is at +2db for them to sound right by themselves because of how the room interacts with them.

My placement of the subwoofer no doubt had a LOT to do with how I set the crossover for it.

I would hate to even make a suggestion on what might work in your room. I wouldn't want to bias you in any direction. It will require some experimentation and there are absolutely no settings that will work for everyone specifically based on your room and the placement of the speakers and subwoofer in your room.

As a Balanced Force 210 owner, I cannot recommend it enough. You should hear it before you finalize your decision - especially if you value the quality of the bass. It is lighting fast ideal for music playback - awesome on movies too.

Back