Australian Audio Show - Sydney

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Von Schweikert - a lot of people loved this sound, but I couldn't see what the fuss was about.

Attachments

• IMG_2834.jpg
    IMG_2834.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 357
Suitcase systems.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_2841.jpg
    IMG_2841.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 321
Acoustic 3D

Now here's something interesting. This is from Australian startup Acoustic 3D. It was playing solo piano, and I didn't hear it with anything else unfortunately. It certainly wasn't the best sound of the day, but for what it is it was DAMN INTERESTING. If this is anything to go by, we'll hear a lot more from this company in the near future.......

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpg
    IMG_2880.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_2881.jpg
    IMG_2881.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 378
This Aurender is nice, but it's a transport only and a $8,000 transport at that! Wow...

Oh, and it this system was playing so bloody loud. Not only inconsiderate to all those in the rooms around, but had me leaving before I'd finished.

Attachments

• IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2845.jpg
    IMG_2845.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
A big REL, Sonus Faber and A-R-C!!

The Ref 40 wasn't here this year Bernard......must all be sold out!

Attachments

• IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2854.jpg
    IMG_2854.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_2856.jpg
    IMG_2856.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_2858.jpg
    IMG_2858.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 220
Richter (small Aussie company, but their speakers are pretty big here, especially in the budget market).

Attachments

• IMG_2859.jpg
    IMG_2859.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2860.jpg
    IMG_2860.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 218
Verity, with one of those Aurenders feeding a dCS Paganini. I've heard reviewers rave on about Verity, and I think I heard what they mean - this was good!

Attachments

• IMG_2861.jpg
    IMG_2861.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 223
Euro Audio Team (EAT) and the new Audio Physic Avantera. I think these will be my next speakers now ML has given us their backside......They are the closest to ES I can find from a box.....

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Karan / PS Audio / more EAT

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 223
Audio Note - honestly, what's the fuss?

Attachments

• IMG_2876.jpg
    IMG_2876.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_2877.jpg
    IMG_2877.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 231
A big REL, Sonus Faber and A-R-C!!

The Ref 40 wasn't here this year Bernard......must all be sold out!
They don't make it anymore. It was a 1-year production run to celebrate ARC's 40th anniversary. Shame!

They don't make it anymore. It was a 1-year production run to celebrate ARC's 40th anniversary. Shame!

But they made a substantial few - would have thought there'd be some left over? Obviously too many people with more money than you or I!! Bet none of them appreciate their Ref 40 preamp as much as I would though.

But they made a substantial few - would have thought there'd be some left over? Obviously too many people with more money than you or I!! Bet none of them appreciate their Ref 40 preamp as much as I would though.
They come up for sale quite often on Audiogon (there's one right now), but I can't afford one even second-hand. There was even one guy in Toronto who had two, and was selling one. And yes, you and I would really appreciate one.

Audio Note - honestly, what's the fuss?

It can sound really good. My favourite domestic system (that isn't owned by me!:D) is based on a DAC4.1, M5 pre, P4 300B amps and a pair of upmarket E speakers. It's not really tuned to my muscial tastes, but what it does it does very well. Plugged by 211 amps into it with fab results.

Had the 4.1 in my system for a bit, as the owner of the above brought it round, and it is a very, very good sounding DAC. But so it should be it costs a lot of money. It comfortably beat an Audio Research CD 7 (well, a 7.5 as it had be upgraded). That surprised me, but obviously better it most certainly was to all present.

Said system also contains an Origin Live TT & tonearm, an AudioNote IO cartridge and an ANUK S3 step up. Plugging a Kondo S6 step up into it gave amazing results. Most of us were just flawed by it's overall goodness. Incredible step up - what's more it isn't even the best Kondo step up.

However, I have also heard Es sounding naff. They need good kit attached to them. I would also say that there are type Es and type Es, with the better ones being significantly better. I also think the worst DAC I have ever heard was a cheap AN one. So there is a big variance in the range.

They do manage to pull off good sound at shows, not always, but most of the time here in the UK.

Euro Audio Team (EAT) and the new Audio Physic Avantera. I think these will be my next speakers now ML has given us their backside......They are the closest to ES I can find from a box.....

I think about the best you can do with ESLs on a reasonable budget is a pair of restored Quad 57s. Not sure what the support is like for Quads in Australia but a decent pair of 57s is quite an expereince. Still a fantastic speaker.

I think about the best you can do with ESLs on a reasonable budget is a pair of restored Quad 57s. Not sure what the support is like for Quads in Australia but a decent pair of 57s is quite an expereince. Still a fantastic speaker.

Yep - heard a pair of '57s owned by a fellow member here. Fantastic speaker (with what they do), but they do leave a few stones unturned!

As for the AN stuff - I don't doubt they were achieving something - there were many people I spoke to that loved that room. But I just didn't hear it. Maybe the cost of that stuff has something to do with it - go in expecting perfection and am disappointed with anything less?

Back