ATF Horizontal / Veritical dispersion (How wide?)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akm3

Reaction score
Does anyone know the specs on how the ATF speakers radiate? It doesn't say on the ML website. Is it like a normal driver very wide? Or is ~30 degrees like the curvilinear sources?

Or is it ZERO degrees because it is essentially a planar speaker without the benefit of the curved source?

I have two Mosaics, an Old Fresco and two Fresco i's (and a dynamo) on the way, and I am curious what I can expect in trying to get sweet spot coverage compared to Martin Logan electrostats

Does anyone know the specs on how the ATF speakers radiate? It doesn't say on the ML website. Is it like a normal driver very wide? Or is ~30 degrees like the curvilinear sources?

Or is it ZERO degrees because it is essentially a planar speaker without the benefit of the curved source?

I have two Mosaics, an Old Fresco and two Fresco i's (and a dynamo) on the way, and I am curious what I can expect in trying to get sweet spot coverage compared to Martin Logan electrostats
Hola...it is like a regular tweeter...you can be off axis, and still get very good highs, the dispersion is very wide...do not worry about it...you are going to love the closest sound to an electrostatic speaker...very much alike. I love ATF...happy listening,
Roberto.

We have a Martin Logan dealer in town again! (Yay!) It is Huppin's, which is the brick and mortar for OneCall.com.

Anyway, I got to listen to the Vantage, Source and Preface for the first times ever.

Vantages - Great!
Preface - Didn't like the sound! However, they look *much* better in person than the awful pics on ML's website
Source - I was very impressed!

Anyway, I didn't like the Montage when I heard it ? years ago at the old ML dealer...

But I went and bought 2 Fresco i's, a Fresco, two Mosaics and a Dynamo.

Why? Because I'm dumb! I now am certain I'm going to hate the sound.

Wish me luck

-Allen

Sources?

Hi. Can you give me more details on the Source? I am thinking of replacing my older Aerius i's with them. Would you consider them an upgrade? -Bob.

Hi. Can you give me more details on the Source? I am thinking of replacing my older Aerius i's with them. Would you consider them an upgrade? -Bob.

Well, I used to own Aerius and just demoed the Source briefly, so I'm certainly not an expert, but ...

Aerius and Source sound VERY different but I think it is more the direction ML has been going. Aerius have a VERY ESL like sound and the newer stuff just doesn't to me, they sound much more like traditional box speakers, but with amazing detailed highs. I prefer the romantic sound of the older martin logan designs.

That said, I still don't /edit (DO...I *do* think the Source are better than the Aerius...I confused myself) think the Source are better than the Aerius, however they certainly look better, in my opinion, and would be much easier to place and set in a room to get great sound.

The Aerius now look so 'old' to me, and are so large compared to the compact current models, I just don't see myself ever going back to them and their tradeoffs

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back