Appropriate Center/Surrounds for Vantages & smaller space

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronning

Reaction score
Hi-
I've found somewhat useful posts around ML center and surround channels, but have some specific questions:

1) Is there really a big enough difference between the Matinee and the Motif center channels that warrants their difference in price?

2) What about using the Fresco as a center channel? Aesthetically, it's a bit easier to blend in with the TV and entertainment center I have setup (and it's less expensive)

3) I'm looking at the Monitor Audio RS6 or RS8 as surround speakers (these were actually my runner-ups to the Vantages if you can imagine), mainly because I think they're great speakers and they are the right size / aesthetic. I'm looking for other suggestions, though, on slim, beautiful tower speakers that may better sonically match the MLs.

Thanks!

Hi-
I've found somewhat useful posts around ML center and surround channels, but have some specific questions:

1) Is there really a big enough difference between the Matinee and the Motif center channels that warrants their difference in price?

2) What about using the Fresco as a center channel? Aesthetically, it's a bit easier to blend in with the TV and entertainment center I have setup (and it's less expensive)

3) I'm looking at the Monitor Audio RS6 or RS8 as surround speakers (these were actually my runner-ups to the Vantages if you can imagine), mainly because I think they're great speakers and they are the right size / aesthetic. I'm looking for other suggestions, though, on slim, beautiful tower speakers that may better sonically match the MLs.

Thanks!

Hello,

Given you have the Xstat panel on your Vantages, I would recommend at minimum, the Motif. Both the Motif and the Stage use the Xstat. A soft dome tweeter is used for HF. I believe ML calls it the Xstat-HD.

I am currently using a Stage with my Vantages and it sounds great. Previously, I was using a Cinema i. Amazingly, the Stage is not much bigger than the Cinema in size. It does sound much better and plays louder at the same volume level.

Last time I looked, Audiogon had 2 Stages listed for around 2 grand. There were no Motif's listed.

Cheers,
ML

I would agree, except that I just blew $3k on used Vantages, and can't really imagine spending another $2k on just one center channel! Maybe a bit later...

In the mean time I may run phantom or using my existing center until I sell it.

Hello,

Given you have the Xstat panel on your Vantages, I would recommend at minimum, the Motif. Both the Motif and the Stage use the Xstat. A soft dome tweeter is used for HF. I believe ML calls it the Xstat-HD.

I am currently using a Stage with my Vantages and it sounds great. Previously, I was using a Cinema i. Amazingly, the Stage is not much bigger than the Cinema in size. It does sound much better and plays louder at the same volume level.

Last time I looked, Audiogon had 2 Stages listed for around 2 grand. There were no Motif's listed.

Cheers,
ML

Back