Anyone cover their MLs for dust?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterK

Reaction score
Not an owner - yet! Looking at either Theos or Ethos.
I live in a house that for whatever reason has dust issues. With dust causing clicks pops as I read would think that it would be simple to make a slip on cover for the panels. Is this a stupid idea? Anyone do something to keep dust off when not in use?
Thanks Pete

I use the covers that came with my EM/ESLs when I have no plans to listen for a day or two.

Ever saw boys in the hood ? Thats my ML vista lol I use the custom dust covers that came with but I also put the plastic covers from the factory right out of the carton when not at home. I made the non covering mistake with my source se and they lost some of the magic on the top end

Yep - cover them whenever they are not in use for a few days. I use the fabric ones that came with them, but large plastic rubbish bags work just as well, if not look as nice.

What is the dust problem in your house though? That should be fixed anyway - dust is not good for anything, including yourself.

Didn't realize they came with covers. Thanks!
Here in Louisiana with the terrific humidity, mold and mildew type dust I believe is the primary cause from the ventilation system. Everyone I know complains of the same problems. No real cure with humidity running over 80-90% commonly in the mornings and evenings during the summer.

Not to be egocentric/condescending but...
I leave mine open....covers would look ugly...aka WAF.

Then again, I don't really have a dust problem.....
I guess I could put filters in/over the vents coming into the room....for extra protection that is. Agree with the above sentiment of dealing with the dust problem (if possible).

Last edited:
The thing with a dust problem - it comes from somewhere! It isn't just "there". Most dust comes from us (skin). If there is a dust problem, the source needs to be cleaned and the problem is gone.

I have 2 cats and I vacuum everyday but I feel if they aint covered they die a slow death

Perhaps covers made from nylon stocking sort of material? Should keep the majority of dust off and do little to the frequency response.. Just a thought. I have some Source's coming and I've given this some thought since the room they're going into does get dusty at times (being next to a GIANT holly tree never helps in the spring - yellow pollen covers everything..)

Perhaps covers made from nylon stocking sort of material? Should keep the majority of dust off and do little to the frequency response.. Just a thought. I have some Source's coming and I've given this some thought since the room they're going into does get dusty at times (being next to a GIANT holly tree never helps in the spring - yellow pollen covers everything..)

The covers that come with the source are pretty decent for dust but do nothing if there is smoke from kitchens or cigarettes

Am i reading this right??? simply not covering them will cause them to die?

Mine get used daily but if i go on vacation i should cover them. Not doing this will result in a "loss in magic as stated above?? even without direct sunlight?

Mine get used daily but if i go on vacation i should cover them. Not doing this will result in a "loss in magic as stated above?? even without direct sunlight?

Sure the speakers are very sensitive to dust and leaving them uncovered for a long period of time will degrade the sound quality even though no one is home. Cover them when ever you can after all its just a thin sheet of plastic that must be kept clean. The decline of the panels is gradual so you may not notice if listening frequently. Some folks have the panels die sooner than others

It all depends on your environment. I've had reQuests uncovered in my theater for over a decade - they still sound wonderful. I would keep them out of direct sunlight, vacuum them a couple times a year, and try not let too much smoke get to them. It certainly doesn't hurt to cover them, especially if you know you're going to be gone for an extended period... but covering them frequently? Not necessary IMO (as well as from my experience).

Where I live (BC's Okanagan) is very dry and we don't have much of a dust problem, so I don't cover my Spires. That said, I DO vacuum the panels every month or two, to keep them clean and sounding their best.

Back