amplifier for Puritys

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husk

Reaction score
Hi
I own ML Purity's and use a Cambridge 840A amplifier (by passing the power amp in the speakers). I am looking to upgrade as I think the speakers are capable of much more with a better amp

what I do like about the Cambridge is the strong control over the bass response - I think it may be a high damping factor - but Im not technical! - and the amp only cost £500 new so goodvalue! Bass was too strong using tghe pre-amp of the Cambridge into the Puritys power amps.

Any ideas for a new amplifier would be most welcomed - I may go up to about £2000 for an integrated - or even a pre-amp only - as long as I can control the bass.

I really love the open , sparkling clarity of these speakers - I tend to like an open / airy / transparent and detailed souund - and as already said - a well controlled bass!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Husk

Hola...perhaps my reply would not be too good, but my suggestion is: change the speaker's model. The Purities were made for Ipod or computer amplification in mind. You do not need an amplifier to drive them. Yes, I know that you can use an amplifier with them, but you are feeding a compromised signal. Put your money on Theos model, and use your current amplifier to drive them. This change will be more dramatic for good, than changing you gear using the Purity. You can not by-pass the digital amplifier built in them. Even the new Electromotion will do better, if you want to use an amplifier to drive them and get the best at the bass. It is quality bass, not quantity bass. Please do not get me wrong. I do know how nice the Purity sings, but trust your ears and put the money there... happy listening,
R.

I use the same speakers and have a Cambridge amp too (640). And I too had a problem with too much bass, instead of good detailed bass. After experimenting a lot with bass traps etc., I finally found a good and not very expensive solution to enhance the acoustics of my room and keep the bass in much more control: Sugarcubes, phase invertors and diffusors made by Acoustic System International. The small wooden devices are almost too good to be true, and for about three hundred pounds you will have made an upgrade to your system that otherwise would have cost you thousands.

Back