AM/FM Tuners

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

as350_b3

Reaction score
I have my Oddysseys mated to Krell Showcase Pre/Pro and Amp and sometimes miss being able to listen to regular radio. :confused: Since the Krell Pre/Pro doesn't offer an AM/FM tuner, I've been researching my various options online and would like some of your input on the following tuners:

- Parasound Halo T3
- PArasound TDQ 150
- Arcam Diva T61
- Denon TU1500RD
- Harman Kardon Citation 23
- Carver TX-11b

I really don't know much about any of the above tuners and was hoping some of you might have experience with some of these tuners and can help me select the best one.

Thanks
Andy :)

I ran a CARVER YEARS BACK TX-11A and it was a good unit for a tuner,

There is a Carver TX-11A (or B) for sale in the basement/used area of a local stereo shop near me. It's on consignment originaly sold for $1,000, selling now for $400. It looks to be in perfect shape.

Overture Audio, Ann Arbor Michigan.

1 (734) 662-1812

They don't open untill 11:00 am, I don't know if they are open Mondays.

Note: There are (4) four Thom's that work there, I typically deal with the one going by the name of "TJ".

What kind of reputation does the Jolida JD-402 Tube Tuner have? New tube tuner for a fair price, I've seen Paragon (another local shop) carry them.

My next purchase will be more of a project, thinking about picking up an old Scott tube tuner from the early 1960's and getting it restored. I just like the way they look. Don't listen to a lot of radio at home right now.

Last edited:
I've also considered adding a tuner to my system. I can't say I've auditioned these units but based on what I've read I would try one the Magnum Dynalab if you want a quality (but pricey) tuner. Or a good value for a tuner is one of the vintage Sansui tuners. I think the Sansui tuners are really nice looking but since they are vintage units, be sure it's in in good condition with all the lights working.

I did have a B&K PT3 II preamp with a built-in tuner and I don't recommend it as a tuner. It was pretty weak when it came to pulling in stations which brings up a point. Be sure to budget for a quality antenna. I was using a powered Terk antenna but it didn't help much. The Magnum Dynalab ST2 antenna is supposed to be pretty good and retails for about $99.

However, I've decided to go a different route and add a Squeezebox made by Slimdevices www.slimdevices.com . They're reasonably priced around $200-$300 The Squeezebox will allow you wirelessly stream internet radio or (relatively) high resolution FLAC music files from your computer. It has an internal BurrBrown DAC or you can use the digital output. The only other parts you need are a computer with a wired or wireless lan. The software is free.

I had an opportunity to check out Sleepysurf's Slimdevices Squeezebox setup at his house. The quality of sound it puts out was much better than I expected and the versatility of it is great. It's definitely worth considering as an additional source for a system.

I have extensively compared FM tuners against XM digital radio. FM smokes XM sound-wise. (Given a good FM signal, of course.) There are two lesser-expensive ways of acquiring an FM tuner. One is to search out an older model, used Magnum Dynalab tuner. The second is to look for an old out-of production Dynaco tuner. Three models are recommended: the FM 3 (tubes,) the FM 5 (sold state and FM only,) and the AF 6 (solid state and AM-Fm.) There are many articles available to modify the Dyna units for even higher quality performance.

I don't dispute FM has better sound quality. However, satellite radio smokes FM when it comes to content. In my opinion FM has really gone down hill over the years. I'm old enough to remember when radio stations played what they wanted to including a complete new release LP.

The radio stations of today seem to only play what the big companies tell them to play. I.E. "Clearchannel". It's usually the same stuff repeatedly not to mention endless commercials and infomercials. At least FM is free.

Agreed - in most places FM programming sucks. Fortunately, in NYC we have several good, listenable stations, among them some college radio stations which serve up lots of good stuff.

I agree about the difference in content when it comes to comparing FM vs. XM. I run XM at work and can't imagine how I'd function without it.
However, at home I like to listen to NPR (car talk, news, etc.) and a couple of obscure radio stations along with the occasional classical or rock station whenever I'm not in the mood of picking the artist (i.e. CDs).
Up until now I have been using a tiny, horrible sounding alarm clock radio and can't wait to listen to music/news using a high quality tuner.

One manufacturer you might add to your list is Magnum Dynalab. My dad has one of their tuners, a very nice piece.

The vintage alternative

as350_b3, I think you should seriously consider analog vintage tuners.
I had a Marantz ST6000 wich is their best unit in the standard range and I thought it was really musical.
One day, I made a blind A-B listening (very easy to do with tuners) with an old Pioneer TX608L: Huge difference. The old analog Pioneer is much better, breathes more, even more analytic whereas it was an entry level model and it's 25 years old.
So I kept it in my system.
You can find very good vintage analog tuners on Ebay for not much money:
Pioneer TX9800, Kenwood KT917, McIntosh MR's, Tandberg TPT3001 are some good examples but you can find many others.

Take a look at this
www.fmtunerinfo.com

Back