Advice Welcome

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinax

Reaction score
:bowdown:

Hello everyone. I am new to Martin Logan and new to better listening as a whole, so I am open to any advice that may be offered.

I recently fell in love with the sound of ML Vantage speakers at my local Best Buy. I listened to some Definitive STS's as well but the ML's blew them away. I have a feeling I was being set up by the sales guy, but they don't work on commission there so I think he was just building me up to what he knew I would really go for.

Anyway I have made my mind up that I will be buying the ML Vantage, but I have various questions as to what to go with it. I have some ideas but.....

Also while I appreciate help I think I had better put some budgets out there. $2500 for receiver, another $3000 for center and surround speakers max, $1000 for ancilliary items that I am not aware of. That should keep things around 12K inc the Vantages which I don't really want to go above.

1) Center speaker ? which should I choose to go with these awesome L/R speakers (the guy in the shop wasn't that clear on his recommendation.)

2) Surround sound ? What rear/side ones should I consider

3) I am considering the Onkyo NR5007 receiver, is that going to have enough power for these and is it a good receiver ?

4) I have read posts about amplifiers to go with the receiver, is it necessary ?, what do they add, and any suggestions on what might fit with what I am putting together here.

5) I have got a Panamax M5300-PM line conditioner already, will that be good enough ?

6)SubWoofer, My wife hates em taking up space, is one really necessary ?

7) Speaker wire? what AWG rating should I go for and any suggestions here would be great, I have a friend that suggests going to monprice.com over getting expenisive store ones but I don't know

I have read a lot about positioning, some of it I understand, as for movies we will be front and center and that I can handle. For Music we will not just be sitting there, I am trying but I am not a music purist and some of the finer points that I have read about when it comes to clarity etc etc I really don't mind, I'm 46 and I don't hear quite so well from my right ear as my left, so getting things perfect is going to be very difficult. I guess what I am asking is once I set this up for Optimum Movie listening will it really be that big of a deal if we are in the Kitchen listening to music ?

I don't know if this helps but the room is 26 x 17 (living room area main listening) but it continues into the Kitchen (24 x17 approx). When watching Moves (65" Panasonic Plasma) we will be sitting approx 12-14 feet from the screen and speakers.

I know I am asking a lot but if anyone can tell me if the equipment I am thinking of plus suggestions will be a good fit or should I juts go back to the drawing board. I Guess I am trying to fit everything around the speakers which I hope is the right way to go.

Thanks in advance and if I have missed anything please let me know

Regards

Daryl

Hi Daryl,

I noticed you mentioned you would be sitting approx 12 to 14 feet from the screen and speakers. Martin Logan speakers do require a good deal of room between the wall behind them to the stator panel. 5 feet from the wall is excellent.

Hopefully , you can do this in your room. As for the HT end of things, others here will have to help you out. Martin Logan do make excellent center channels.
Cheers, Greg

Welcome Daryl! Since I'm a 2 channel guy I'll let others comment on HT equipment. I think most would recommend a separate power amp but since the Vantage has powered bass it may not be needed.

Have you considered used equipment--more bang for the buck?

For good budget cables consider Blue Jean Cable or Signal Cable, again many more options on used cables.

Hi Churchill

I will take a look at the cables thanks..

I know this will sound a bit ostentatious (hope I spelled that correctly) But I don't do used on anything. I'm certainly not rich, I don't know why I am that way, I guess I have always liked the ability to go back to the retailer plus if there is damage or a problem then it's me that has caused it.

Thanks

Hi Moon

Really 5 feet? wow thats quite a distance, they will be 2-3 feet in front of the TV stand kind of free standing in the middle of the room.

Hmmm maybe a re-think here

Thanks

Welcome Daryl, I'll let the Ht experts chime in on your recomendations (I'm more a two channel guy and therefore suscribe to putting ones $$ there first and let the other channels 'follow' )

So what's the 'scooter' in your avatar......1200 "Sportie" ......softail ??

Hi Moon

Really 5 feet? wow thats quite a distance, they will be 2-3 feet in front of the TV stand kind of free standing in the middle of the room.

Hmmm maybe a re-think here

Thanks

Two to three feet is fine for vantages. The closer to the front wall the more base. Further from the front wall less base. My summits are about 32 inches max from the front wall. Depends on your room and room treatments and other factors. Not just base, but reflections, etc. It is experimentation, to see what works best for you.

:bowdown:

Hello everyone. I am new to Martin Logan and new to better listening as a whole, so I am open to any advice that may be offered.

I recently fell in love with the sound of ML Vantage speakers at my local Best Buy. I listened to some Definitive STS's as well but the ML's blew them away. I have a feeling I was being set up by the sales guy, but they don't work on commission there so I think he was just building me up to what he knew I would really go for.

Anyway I have made my mind up that I will be buying the ML Vantage, but I have various questions as to what to go with it. I have some ideas but.....

Also while I appreciate help I think I had better put some budgets out there. $2500 for receiver, another $3000 for center and surround speakers max, $1000 for ancilliary items that I am not aware of. That should keep things around 12K inc the Vantages which I don't really want to go above.

1) Center speaker ? which should I choose to go with these awesome L/R speakers (the guy in the shop wasn't that clear on his recommendation.)

2) Surround sound ? What rear/side ones should I consider

3) I am considering the Onkyo NR5007 receiver, is that going to have enough power for these and is it a good receiver ?

4) I have read posts about amplifiers to go with the receiver, is it necessary ?, what do they add, and any suggestions on what might fit with what I am putting together here.

5) I have got a Panamax M5300-PM line conditioner already, will that be good enough ?

6)SubWoofer, My wife hates em taking up space, is one really necessary ?

7) Speaker wire? what AWG rating should I go for and any suggestions here would be great, I have a friend that suggests going to monprice.com over getting expenisive store ones but I don't know

I have read a lot about positioning, some of it I understand, as for movies we will be front and center and that I can handle. For Music we will not just be sitting there, I am trying but I am not a music purist and some of the finer points that I have read about when it comes to clarity etc etc I really don't mind, I'm 46 and I don't hear quite so well from my right ear as my left, so getting things perfect is going to be very difficult. I guess what I am asking is once I set this up for Optimum Movie listening will it really be that big of a deal if we are in the Kitchen listening to music ?

I don't know if this helps but the room is 26 x 17 (living room area main listening) but it continues into the Kitchen (24 x17 approx). When watching Moves (65" Panasonic Plasma) we will be sitting approx 12-14 feet from the screen and speakers.

I know I am asking a lot but if anyone can tell me if the equipment I am thinking of plus suggestions will be a good fit or should I juts go back to the drawing board. I Guess I am trying to fit everything around the speakers which I hope is the right way to go.

Thanks in advance and if I have missed anything please let me know

Regards

Daryl

I'll try to briefly address your questions. It sounds like you are more serious about Home Theater, and two channel will be mainly background listening.

1) Center Channel- If your main focus is Home Theater, the center channel is very important, and you want it to match the tone of the Vantages. I'd recommend the Motif (aluminum cone woofers) or Matinee (similar specs, but paper cone woofers).

2) Surrounds really depend on your overall room architecture (on wall, in ceiling, or freestanding). Don't have enough info yet to advise you on that.

3) Onkyo Receiver- Not familiar with this model, but it could be a good starting point, and you could add a separate power amp for the Vantages later, if you get more serious about two-channel performance. I couldn't tell if the Onkyo has Audyssey MultEQ built-in, which I strongly recommend (particularly for home theater).

4) Separate amp- Would recommend down the road if you want to get the most out of your Vantage ESL panels. You could still use the Receivers pre-outs, or eventually upgrade to a separate preamp with Home Theater Bypass.

5) Line Conditioner- Living in Tampa, you definitely want capable SURGE protector. I'm sure the Panamax is a decent unit (at least to start with), but could be current limiting with a separate amp.

6) Sub- Definitely recommended for Home Theater, and would fill in the lowest octaves for two-channel listening as well.

7) Wires- Blue Jeans or Signal Cable are definitely great values in line with your budget.

BTW, if interested in the local Tampa gang, check out our Tampa Bay Listening Society!

Last edited:
Back