advice on upgrade

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkd

Reaction score
hi im new to this forum.

i just moved to canada and the only thing i could with me was a my amps. -.- but think i broke it during my flight form hk.

i manage to get a temperary ml stylos from my uncle which he said he had since 199x. i just bought a bryston b-60r to replace my amps.

i was a loyal b&w customer but after going to a few hi fi store and listening to the stylos. i quite like the sound.

can anyone suggest a good pair of speakers? no more then 8000.

also would their be a better amp to power these speakers or is my brystons good? have a few weeks before i cant exchange them.

sticker price for bryston was $2559. also currently using monster thx cables.

looking for pernement speakers as ill be staying in canada for a long time.

i use a cowon d2 to connect music

If you like the Martin Logan sound, try the Vantage about $5200 US, a pair new. Normally I would recommend the Summits but they are outside your stated price point ($11000 vs 8000). The Vantage is an excellent alternative and probably a better value.
ML Summit

ML Vantage

Bryston amps do a fine job of powering ML speakers. But a gentleman from Colorado Roger Sanders makes an amplifier specially designed to power Electrostatic speakers, It cost a bit more $3995 than your Bryston though.
ESL Amplifier

Welcome to our little group. :music:

--burke

do they make intergrated amps?

im in university now in canada so its best not to have too much fragile amps in the room.

should i be concerned about speaker wires, adding another pre amp, cd player (my uncle has a sony X777ES player i can buy of him for $500 dunn if its worth it though), powr strips?

and will a norml monster audio cable do for connecting my devices?

what kind of different sound/ quality will i hear from like a vista to a higher model?

im new to picking out hi fi stuff since my dad usually does this all.

Another Option

Summits will fit in your price range if you buy used.

I have, and like, ReQuests. They are quite large, though. So a lot depends on your room. What are the dimensions?

There is a big diff.

:cool: I have done a lot of work on upgrading the SL3, an other Older panel ML, the new ones are Better,i say Vantage win,s!
just one mans o-pin
thanks

does the vantage use 4 wires or just 2 wires too hook up? my amp just have in inserts for the - and + for left and right. some speakers i seen need like 4 inserts.

also do the newer ml have a built in base? i always see a cone for the bottom but dunno if its a sub or not.

thanks for help everyone.

once i get enough advice ill start seeing what i can sell and keep ^^

Hi

I have:

Bryston 6BST 4bST
Ascent i, Theatre i , 2x Logos
Homegrown Audio Silver Lace IC and Spkr
Denon 4806ci as processor for now.

So I have a pretty decent appreciation of your sound.

I actually am thinking of some changes, but I'll give you some past insights.

Brystons are Canadian made with a strong Canadian following, and 20 yr transferrable - so easy to sell on used market. Sound though is a bit forward, but so be wary on new spks and amps that have to be broken in.

Many have recommended Sunfire, older krell.

Gilbert Yeung, owner of Blue Circle audio is a fellow Canadian, ML enthusiast and also has equipment that seems to go very well with ML - eg. he has cables specifically for ML. I own two Music Rings Conditioners, and noisehounds - made a difference. Listened to a couple of amps and pre-amps - good compliment. Asthetically, the equipment doesn't grab me - sparse and industrial like, just keep that in mind should that be relevant to you. Not trying to pitch a vendor - I've just listened and found them well matching.

H.

Sander's Amps

I have Roger's first Innersound amps/pre-amp/phono. Amps are bridged monoblocks. Roger and I spoke many times when he was starting up Innersound and a few times after he sold it. The electronics are manufactured by Coda Technologies who are contract manufacturers for OEM's. They design and manufacture out of CA.

I have a SME 10/SME V/Koetsu RSP analog setup and CLSIIz's on Sound Anchor stands with Stereo REL Stadium III's (2). The transparency of the electronics is what I enjoy the most and while I've had issues (replace all the PS caps, fried diodes) they never cease to bring a smile to my face.

I am an EE by training and Roger is full of knowledge and loves to talk gear. I'm glad he's resurfaced and waiting to hear his speakers, his forte.

Paul

Latest posts

Back