Advice for first pair, (I'm such a noob)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeratheart

Reaction score
Hello all, very glad to be here! I became aware of ML's while working at a electronics retail store in 1999. Loved, no, completely head over heels for, anything Martin Logan. So now 9 years later, family, better job, etc., and I'm looking to upgrade my Def. Tech. fronts (BP30 towers) for both music and movies. I've been waiting so long!! I'm sure I'm going to want a big sound for my 14' X 25' room. My Denon AVR-1804 (90 wpc into 8 ohms) will have to run whatever ML's I get, and the amp will come second. I see Requests and Quest Zs used in my price range. They are appealing because of their size. I know it's important to fit speakers to the room, but I don't know where my desire for a big sound and a reasonable speaker stop overlapping.

The amp that will eventually be running my MLs will be $500 to $1000, and might be used. Most bang for the buck is where my budget will take me.

I can't improve my source to anything significant for a while, and I'm running a Sunfire Super Jr. with music and movies right now, but I certainly would omit that if the MLs didn't need it for music after I feed 'em more power.

Thanks so much for your time. I've learned alot just reading through this site!!:bowdown:

Ben

David Matz a fellow ML member is selling his Ascents at an amazing price. You are only a 6 hour drive from them. Please check the Classified section of this site. Enjoy.

Quest --ReQuest are good speakers,(I had a set) but at Davids price I would look into them! They will have all the detail you need, and will be much easier to drive than the Quest or ReQuest. They like gobs of current. They probably have a better chance of not having to replace panels also.

Do I NEED to go smaller?

Thanks for the info, and I wish I had a day to go to Chi-town.

I am warming up to the fact that smaller might work better. Do quest/request and the like need more than an entry level rotel or anthem can give them? Or should I assume I need to spend more to run them?

Always a pleasure,
Ben

David Matz a fellow ML member is selling his Ascents at an amazing price. You are only a 6 hour drive from them. Please check the Classified section of this site. Enjoy.

Hi Ben,

Given your room size, Cherian's recommend is an absolute no brainer. You are not going to get anything in the ML line at that performance / price point. We all have to start somewhere and David's Ascents are quite a bit up the ladder.

My advice. Send David a PM and close the deal. Pick them up when your schedule allows.

GG

Last edited:
1st Pair Advice

Definitely jump on the Ascents.A used Sunfire is highly recommended in your $500-$1000 amplifier budget.I personally would try for a used Cinema Grand around the $1000 price.If you are patient a great deal will eventually come along.Good luck.:music:

Back