Absorber or Diffuser Panel Behind Els speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pars

Reaction score
I plan to place electrostatic speakers to my room. The max distance from the rear wall can be 3.5". What helps the imaging? Absorber or Diffuser? Some say Absorber is the way to go for better imaging, some say it kills the reflection and so the sound stage.... Any experiences?

Tons of threads on this topic, please use the search function.

My experience and results from hundreds of actual measurements of the impacts of diffusion vs. absorption lead me to recommend absorption behind the speakers if they can not be pulled out enough.

If doing multichannel (music OR movies), then absorption is your friend, as it really helps deliver a cohesive soundfield. It also really helps fix the head-in-a-vise problems that excessive sound coming from the side walls creates.

Sometimes, some diffusion helps in very specific locations, and I have some on the back wall of the dedicated room.

Tons of threads on this topic, please use the search function.

My experience and results from hundreds of actual measurements of the impacts of diffusion vs. absorption lead me to recommend absorption behind the speakers if they can not be pulled out enough.

If doing multichannel (music OR movies), then absorption is your friend, as it really helps deliver a cohesive soundfield. It also really helps fix the head-in-a-vise problems that excessive sound coming from the side walls creates.

Sometimes, some diffusion helps in very specific locations, and I have some on the back wall of the dedicated room.
Sorry for being lazy and not searching the forum before. On the other hand I got my answer, thanks a lot. Absorber it is 😍

Back