Panels Dangerous?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiBoneFramer

Reaction score
I found having a tv right above my illusion results in the panel being lit up a bit. I gently wedged a cheap black foam sound absorber between the top of the stator and top of the cabinet behind the panel. This cuts down on all the panel light and actually helps my sound as I have a bit too much energy in my room at the panel frequencies.

Can some one please object if this is harmful to the speaker or a potential hazard?

That's perfectly fine. I experimented with foam absorber panels lining the rear cavities of my Sequels (basically trying to turn them into monopoles, and the foam was touching the rear stator, and no issues.
Your setup sounds like it would be pretty safe.

As usual, I'll recommend a 4" broadband absorber (with no reflective elements, no 'limp-mass' in it) at the floor wall junction behind the Illusion, as that will cut down on comb filtering and increase dialog clarity. Go up the wall to the height of the illusion, or all the way up to the bottom of the screen for aesthetics.

I don't see any harm in what you're doing. But can't the panel light be switched off? Since the Illusion is designed as a home theater center, you can't be the only user with this problem. I'll have to consider this if I ever get the scratch and space for an Illusion, since I use a projector and pull-down screen, which spurious light would mess with even more.

I have stick-on strips designed to tone down overly aggressive LED displays. They are especially useful for Monoprice a/v equipment, who are notoriously clueless about how much light a user wants a video switcher or the like to emit. Maybe something like that, or taping over them altogether with vinyl tape, would help. But your solution seems perfectly fine and has acoustic advantages, apparently.

That's perfectly fine. I experimented with foam absorber panels lining the rear cavities of my Sequels (basically trying to turn them into monopoles, and the foam was touching the rear stator, and no issues.
Your setup sounds like it would be pretty safe.

As usual, I'll recommend a 4" broadband absorber (with no reflective elements, no 'limp-mass' in it) at the floor wall junction behind the Illusion, as that will cut down on comb filtering and increase dialog clarity. Go up the wall to the height of the illusion, or all the way up to the bottom of the screen for aesthetics.
Thanks Jon!

I don't see any harm in what you're doing. But can't the panel light be switched off? Since the Illusion is designed as a home theater center, you can't be the only user with this problem. I'll have to consider this if I ever get the scratch and space for an Illusion, since I use a projector and pull-down screen, which spurious light would mess with even more.

I have stick-on strips designed to tone down overly aggressive LED displays. They are especially useful for Monoprice a/v equipment, who are notoriously clueless about how much light a user wants a video switcher or the like to emit. Maybe something like that, or taping over them altogether with vinyl tape, would help. But your solution seems perfectly fine and has acoustic advantages, apparently.
There is no light on the illusion, just the membrane reflecting the screen a bit. Black out the panel and my whole front is completely black. Just looks cooler

There is no light on the illusion, just the membrane reflecting the screen a bit. Black out the panel and my whole front is completely black. Just looks cooler
I see. I was looking at a different model ML that does have a light, which is dimmable, but no mention of one in the Illusion manual. I can see where a glare from the diaphragm could be annoying, and fixable. Membrane glare also makes photographing tricky, for selling purposes.

My CLS II's flank the projector screen, and no glare trouble at all.

Back