A popping sound from my new summits

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchell1079

Reaction score
Howdy,

The new summits are awesome, but when I turn on my Levinson 431 amp they pop and go thud...what do you think that could be?

All the components are running thru a Richard Gray power conditioner (except the amp whic is plugged directly into the hospital grade wall outlet)...

Mitch

Why don't you give them a try without the Summits being hooked to the Richard Gray. What I believe you are hearing is a turn on spike thru the Summit's bass amps. I too get that every now and then. Never bothered me.

Is it a loud snap from the stat panel? I get this from my Sunfire TG 2. This is a known problem with the sunfire TG 2 pre amp.

Start with your power amp off and pre amp off, then turn on your pre-amp then turn on your amp. If you do not hear the “pop” then it’s the pre amp that is causing the problem.

For what its worth, with my Pass Labs, I hear a very minor "thump" turn on transient. No pops. Dealer said it is normal and its no big deal since its very low in volume.

GG

I don't get any pop or any noise. Have you guys tried to turn on the amp first then the pre??

The pop and thud sounds like an amp problem...

The pop and thud sounds like an amp problem...

Hola...yes, it looks like an amp problem. Does the poping sound comes at both channels? Do you have this problem only when you turn the Levinson?...the preamp could have it too. Just, turn on the amp only, and listen. Check it for both channels. Usually the problem is at the differential input stage of the power amp. When you turn off the amp, does the poping goes away?...happy listening,
Roberto.

I don't get any pops because I leave my Pass on 24/7 and it's always ready to play. :music:

I used to get a popping sound from an old Hafler amp I had at turn on and turn off. Also had a quiet "thump" from my McCormack DNA-1 when I owned it. My BAT amps and pre-amp are quiet as a tomb.

Hi,

I have a thumpy amp also. My solution to the problem is to turn on the amp/ preamp first, count to ten, and then turn on the speakers. No thump then.

best,

k

I agree with K.

Heck when my system is on and I turn the ceiling fan on there is a thump/tick in the speakers. I believe the thump is created by a switching transient causing a noise or low voltage spike in the house electric which is caused by the turn on circuit of the amplifier. I can create this thump with a few other electronic appliances in the house, the air conditioner downstairs for one.

Could also be some of the other culprets named by some of the other members here too, but more than likely I think it is just a transient from the amp. Plugging the amp into a seperate circuit could cause ground loop problems so I wouldn't recommend that to highly. I would do as K says and just turn on the speakers last.

Sam

I don't get any pops because I leave my Pass on 24/7 and it's always ready to play. :music:

what about the enviroment? Unless you listen A LOT you are not doing any good for the enviroment. Just a thought. You would be amazed by doing that how much you are wasting...

Nether do I get any popping noise from Plinius SA-102. They are left on 24/7 and top of it the system has an auto mute during power on.

The amp should be the last think on first thing off. With my amps Monarchy, the warn you about this.

If you turn the preamp on after the SE-100 is switched on, the preamp will
generate a large pulse that could be detrimental to your speakers. There is
also a good chance it would wipe out the output MOSFETS .

Latest posts

Back