500 Dynamo Sub decent match for Electromotion ESL Speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpablo

Reaction score
The title is my question. I can't afford to purchase anything that costs more. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I should note my system is going to be for stereo only. Would a sub like this add or take away from the sound?

I know it's good to match manufacturers amongst speakers in general but does it make a big difference when it comes to the sub? Thanks again!

The Dynamo 500 is a good sub. For the money, is a bargain. Very clean, low distortion and easy to set up. But, the connection must be through RCA only. Your preamp or your receiver must have the option connection for a sub. Happy listening!

Thanks for the info Roberto! My amp doesn't have a sub out so if I split the audio output from my DAC will I be losing out any sound? If I go with a passive sub will I be losing our on a lot of power before it gets to the speakers? Thanks again!

If you do that, it would be the same thing as taking the REC OUT from your amp. You need to control the volume of the sub too, and your DAC does not has volume control, or yes?. It is too difficult to adjust the level each time you are going to play a song. Get the smaller sub, the Dynamo 300. It allow you to use the speaker' signal from the amp, and the amp will not read its load, because of the high impedance input (typically about 4000 ohms). This way, you can control the volume. Also, the Electromotions have very good bass too, and with this sub, I think would be just great for music purpose. Don't be afarid to have and use an 8'' sub woofer. I do like a lot what I listen. Also, you could buy an other brand used sub with speakers binding posts inputs. On the other hand, the 300 was thought as the aid for the Electromotions. Happy listening!

Thanks for the input Roberto!

My DAC does have a volume control but if I understand you correctly this would still be problematic when splitting the RCA out? If I use the Dynamo 300 then I can run another set of speaker wire out from the same binding posts the speaker wire for the ESL is connected to?

Thanks again!

You are correct. You can feed the sub from the speaker binding post, to shorter the wire. This wire is only for low signal info. When you use the DAC control, you loose some bits. The control is usually made, via digital, not analogue, producing a little deterioration of the signal. It is better to have the volume at the maximum at the DAC. The problem is not when you split the signal, it is when you use the volume control of the DAC. It is better to go via wire from the binding posts. Happy listening!

Thanks one again Roberto!

So to verify I can connect the sub and the speakers to the same binding posts on my amp? If I leave the volume all the way up on my DAC then I assume this is when you want also want a pre amp to control the volume? I suppose I could run through a older receiver I have with a LFE and rec out but I thought this would decrease the sound quality having to pass through another device? Thanks for all your time and patience with such a noob!

I do not know if you have a receiver or an integrated amplifier...or If you have separates, pre amp and amp. You can split the connection from the pre amp output with two Ys , one for each channel. Left output to Y and one to the L amp input and the other to the L sub input, Same for the R channel. If you do not have separates, from the binding post of the speakers or dual cable from the output sperker terminals of the amplifier, receiver, integrated amp, to the speakers and to the sub woofer. The volume at the DAC always should be at maximum level, because if the volume control is digital, there are some lost of bits in the process. Your old receiver is fine driving the Electromotions and the sub. Connect the DAC at AUX input and you are done. Happy listening!

Thanks again for all your help Roberto!

I have an Apogee Duet DAC, Hafler Amp, and older Denon reciever. The receiver has analog surround inputs and preouts so I plan on connecting the DAC to the L/R inputs then the L/R outputs to the Hafler. This way I can keep the DAC at full volume. I will use the sub pre out on the receiver for the sub, this way I won't have to sacrifice any power from the Hafler for the speakers. Still looking at going with the Dynamo 500.

Last edited:
Hey another Phoenix guy! I was in your situation "elpablo". I had the Dynamo 700. Great little compact sub, but I went bigger, and agree that for the sub, you don't necessarily have to match with the brand of your other speakers. So I went and got an Outlaw LFM1-EX (there was a sale) but as the price is now it's the same cost as the 700. And it's a 12" sub not a 10" like the Dynamo.

Latest posts

Back