ElectroMotion ESL vs. Aeon I

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the opportunity to purchase either a pair of ElectroMotion ESL or Aeon I from local sellers for roughly the same price.
These would be for a 2-channel system only and I have several high quality power amps and also have an REL Stadium III subwoofer in my system.
I would appreciate opinions on which speaker to purchase.
Thanks
the panel on the esl is better. unless the Aeon's have had a replacement. the ESL panel is an x stat gen. the esl cabinet is a more budget product. the Aeon i construction quality is grander.

One new thing I learned, the Aerius speaker has a tweeter on it. Where is it located, behind the panel? I didn't know any ML main speakers had/have tweeters. That could be a plus.
FYI it's Aeon i, not Aerius.

The tweeter which ML calls "Natural Ambience Compensation" or NAC is at the back of the speaker box near the top. It can be turned on or off and sort of fills the sound in the room.

I've attached the Aeon i service manual which shows how to replace the panel.

Attachments

• Aeon Service Manual.pdf
    268.4 KB · Views: 0
FYI it's Aeon i, not Aerius.

The tweeter which ML calls "Natural Ambience Compensation" or NAC is at the back of the speaker box near the top. It can be turned on or off and sort of fills the sound in the room.

I've attached the Aeon i service manual which shows how to replace the panel.
Oops, yeah I confused the two names but knew which one it really was. I wonder why they abandoned having the tweeter on the back?

If I remember correctly ML recommended turning off the NAC for pure music listening, and using it for background music to fill the room. It probably affects the accuracy and measurements which is why not all ML speakers have it. In the picture below it is the oval near the top rear of the speaker, and the little hole above the tweeter is where you can insert a long thin tool to turn it on and off. Personally I like it on leave them that way, although these are my surround speakers only.

Doing a quick search it seems like only the Aeon i and Clarity have it.

1689908985309.png

If I remember correctly ML recommended turning off the NAC for pure music listening, and using it for background music to fill the room. It probably affects the accuracy and measurements which is why not all ML speakers have it. In the picture below it is the oval near the top rear of the speaker, and the little hole above the tweeter is where you can insert a long thin tool to turn it on and off. Personally I like it on leave them that way, although these are my surround speakers only.

Doing a quick search it seems like only the Aeon i and Clarity have it.

View attachment 24413
Makes sense. Its interesting that they used it only for some models.

If the NAD is Class D bridged, probably not a great fit... apparently contra-indicated by several amp manufacturers (driving ESLs, that is, where at high frequencies impedance drops below 1 Ohm...
The impedance drops, but so does the effect in high frequency, meaning that the Amperes are also low. I run bridged mode on 8 ohm Arcam P429 with the the ESL X fo more than a week and prevuously to that 5y on the Aeon i that I had for 18y. The X is defenitly a step up, but also a step up for the smaller brother. The X has 1.6 ohm at 20kHz, the Aeon i about 1 or 1.2, if my memory serves me right, impediance. Of course the Arcam is class g not d. But the better class d seems to double the wattage with impedance. NAD master and Lyngdorf. But fot the smaller series I don't know. For my Arcam class d its 90/120 for 8/4 ohms so defenitly not doubling. And 5y playing also quite loud no issue (so far).

Here's the reply I received from the ML service department:

The panels are definitely much older on the Aeon I than the EM ESL.
A new set of Aeon I stats cost $995.00 for a new pair.
A new pair of EM ESL panels would be $1,250.00
There is a bigger difference in the cost of the HV power supplies.
The Aeon I's are $379.21 where as the EM ESL are $95.00
The EM ESL is easier to work on.
There really is no substitute for your own ear on this type of decision.
Interesting the panels for aeon i, both bigger not any longer in production, are cheaper than the EM

One more advice giver to chip in: my gut is between any two hybrids to go for the one with the lower crossover. And that the Electromotion, being in the "bargain ESL" category, it would probably be the one with the higher. Turns out, though, that the Aeon i is 450 hz while the Electromotion is 500, almost insignificant. This information from the ML site, under current products and "museum" products If there were a huge difference in panel size, hence, crossover frequency, I would have said go with the Aeon i then save up for new panels. As it stands, though, you're going to have to go by other factors, such as how each one sounds to you, how you feel about each seller, panel age, and the fact that ML's hybrid ESL technology has evolved for the better over the years. Having never heard nor seen either of the two candidates, I'd say go with the Electromotion.

Interesting the panels for aeon i, both bigger not any longer in production, are cheaper than the EM
It's possible the EM's have more segments, hence, better control of the resonances but more expensive to build. The difference in HV modules is very interesting , though. Maybe one is old school voltage multiplier circuit while the other is switch mode and works with a "wall wart", so less iron in it.

I stand by my opinion that it's mostly a wash, and you're going to have to go primarily by how each one sounds to you--but I would gravitate toward the EM.

One new thing I learned, the Aerius speaker has a tweeter on it. Where is it located, behind the panel? I didn't know any ML main speakers had/have tweeters. That could be a plus.
Not that I'm aware of... and I've had a pair for 20 years. Replacement panels, not regular tweeter that I've seen, no location other than the mid-woofer box where it could be mounted.

Not that I'm aware of... and I've had a pair for 20 years. Replacement panels, not regular tweeter that I've seen, no location other than the mid-woofer box where it could be mounted.
I screwed up, it's the Aeon I. I confused the 2 names.

Having had the Aeon i and the EM although the X version i can say the sonic signature is different. The Aoen i is closer to a conventionel LS with it's warmer sound compared to the EM X's more analytical sound. So in realaty it comes down to preference I think. I'm surev you'll be happy with either - I was. The Aoen is nicer to the eye but now getting used to the EM's looks and sound I find it overall the better and the better match to my Focus (It all started with my Cinema i completly failing)

One more advice giver to chip in: my gut is between any two hybrids to go for the one with the lower crossover. And that the Electromotion, being in the "bargain ESL" category, it would probably be the one with the higher. Turns out, though, that the Aeon i is 450 hz while the Electromotion is 500, almost insignificant. This information from the ML site, under current products and "museum" products If there were a huge difference in panel size, hence, crossover frequency, I would have said go with the Aeon i then save up for new panels. As it stands, though, you're going to have to go by other factors, such as how each one sounds to you, how you feel about each seller, panel age, and the fact that ML's hybrid ESL technology has evolved for the better over the years. Having never heard nor seen either of the two candidates, I'd say go with the Electromotion.
One thing to add: the generation of panel (x-stat) on the ESL has benefits in sound and efficiency etc. over the Aeon. Overall sq inches are not an apples-to-apples comparison.

One thing to add: the generation of panel (x-stat) on the ESL has benefits in sound and efficiency etc. over the Aeon. Overall sq inches are not an apples-to-apples comparison.
When did the newer microperf panels come out? It looks like the ESL came out in 2011. Depending on how old this pair is, is it possible that the panels aren't microperf?

Back