System #137 (Vantage)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ralflar, nice system,I particularly like the shot your using for your avatar-very cool:cool:

Just plain awesome man!!

No other words to describe your well built system! Welcome to xstat beauty and musicality!

Joey

Thanks guys. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. The setup has changed quite a bit since those pics were taken. Many weeks ago my new line stage, DAC, headphone amp, headphones arrived. I also worked on room acoustics and visuals. Most cables were replaced. I added a surge suppressor with voltage regulation. I added a Depth-i and high-pass filter the main amps now, letting the Depth-i handle the low bass. All of this improved my system quite nicely. I have been too busy buying new music and listening to it as well as rediscovering the old stuff, so I could not be bothered to post system updates here.

Tomorrow more room treatments will arrive. More cable replacements are due in a few days. That means I'll be enjoying more music again when I should be updating these pages ;).

So, until that happens, here is an older photo.

Attachments

• tempsetup.jpg
    tempsetup.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 322
So.... er... symmetrical! Me likey!

Congrats on the ever evolving system, Ralf!!

Joey

Symmetry is so last month ;). Check new pics in first post of thread.

More changes

Thanks man. Meanwhile the Arcam DV137 has been replaced by a FMJ139 (FMJ = full metal jacket, no kidding), and an Emotiva DMC-1 pre-pro arrived today. It and the Emo LPA-1 will replace the Yammy 1600 HT receiver.

I have been playing with an Emotiva 2-channel pre-amp (RSP-1) and power amp (RPA-1) also. Very low prices and very good quality both, especially the RPA-1.

Perhaps I can take some pics this weekend before I pack it all up and ship it to Europe.

Thanks man. Meanwhile the Arcam DV137 has been replaced by a FMJ139 (FMJ = full metal jacket, no kidding), and an Emotiva DMC-1 pre-pro arrived today. It and the Emo LPA-1 will replace the Yammy 1600 HT receiver.

I have been playing with an Emotiva 2-channel pre-amp (RSP-1) and power amp (RPA-1) also. Very low prices and very good quality both, especially the RPA-1.

Perhaps I can take some pics this weekend before I pack it all up and ship it to Europe.

Yes, please do take pics!

So why are you packing it to go to Europe again? I must have missed something from the previous posts....

Joey

Pics taken. Sorry this first one is fuzzy. Exposure time was about 2 seconds due to low ambient light. I don't have a tripod and there is only so much an image stabilizer can do. I posting it anyway to show the blue light displays. The LEDs can be dimmed further on the Emotiva components.

Re. packing: job transfer. It happens every few years.

Attachments

• emo-blue-lights.jpg
    emo-blue-lights.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 178
Another photo. Left foreground shows my pitiful excuse for an HT system. 5.0 of the 7.1 channels are provided by the Polk SurroundBar which you can see here. The Depth-i adds 0.1, the 2 surround back speakers are not shown here.

Considering that the 5.0 speaker part is so poor I was expecting that the DMC-1 would make no significant difference when it replaced the Yammy 1600 pre/pro. Boy was I wrong.

Attachments

• full-rack.jpg
    full-rack.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 174
One more pic. It shows, from bottom to top, the Emotiva RPA-1 2 channel amplifier, the DMC-1 pre/pro, the RSP-1 2 channel pre-amp, the CIAudio PLC-1 passive pre and its DAC and headphone amp siblings with their power supplies, Arcam and Squeezebox on top shelf.

The RSP is nice but I prefer the passive pre. It does use expensive parts, e.g. both the RSP and the PLC use motorized Alps potentiometers. I suspect that my preference of the PLC reflects: my preference of passives. The RSP is probably a very capable pre-amp for those who prefer actives. The DMC is basically a Theater Grand IV, and much better than I expected. (Or should I say that the Yammy is even worse than I thought?). The RPA is a top notch amp for an unbelievable price (got mine during a sale for $530 shipped). I am not sure I could tell it apart from much much more expensive CIA monos...

Build quality of all 4 Emo components is outstanding with a single exception: the power on/off buttons are cheap and feel like it, too.

Attachments

• closeup-rack.jpg
    closeup-rack.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 176
Back