System #158 (Sequel)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh, I can see the liquid refreshment sitting on the floor...:)

Peter,

That is actually 2 cases stacked. The one you can't see (on the bottom) is a case of 1994 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale that I'm saving. (I also have half a case of '93, '95, and a six or so of later years) The thing about Bigfoot (and ALL barleywine beers) is that they are absolutely hideous the first 4 or 5 years they are in-bottle (much like a good Cabernet or Port), and the secret is you have to stash it away for 8 or 10 years before it gets really good. A lot of people say they don't like Barleywines--they're too strong, too sweet, too hoppy, to rough. Well, I can tell you, when Bigfoot first comes out every year, that is true. But I had a glass of Bigfoot this past summer from bottles of 1986 (the first year they made it), '89 , and '92, and the '86 was like the best Port I'd ever tasted--smooth, mellow, porty. Hard to believe it was beer.

The box you CAN see is mostly homebrew--mine and others. I've been home-brewing beer and cordials for about 15 years. It's my "third" passion (after stereo gear and letterpress printing, but before cigars!) In fact, my current brewing project is researching how to make gluten-free beer. My twin stepdaughters (they're going to be 22 this month) both have Celiacs disease (gluten intolerance) which makes things challenging for someone like me (I LOVE bread, beer, and Scotch, and the first two of those makes the girls VERY ill) I've got the bread thing down after several months of experimenting in the kitchen (they got their first Gluten-Free Pizza last weekend--they were thrilled to be able to ead a pizza and not be sick and cramped all the next day!). So now it's a quest for finging a way to make gluten-free beer, which is, in the eyes of most "traditional brewers" a contradiction in terms, since barley is the largest constituant of beer, and it is nothing but gluten, starch, sugars, and proteins.

I've got some recipes, and some good leads on the hard-to-get ingredients (food-grade sorghum seeds are tough to find-- and I have to malt the grain myself, because nobody sells sorghum grain in the malted form).

Anyway, when the weather gets a little warmer (it's been right about freezing for the last week) I'll break out all the brewpots, burners, grain mills, and carboys, and get to brewin'!

But to get back to the stereo, I'll hopefully have it all re-worked (with the video gear added) by Friday night. The DC/MD/VA Martin Logan Meet is this Saturday in MD, and I'll be spending the afternoon over at DBT300's house listening to his rig and hanging out with all the other DC-area ML fans. If I get my gear all put back together, I might have a few of the guys come over to see my system afterwards...

--Richard

Last edited:
Of course, it's all going to change this weekend, when I buy the stands and shelves I need to put the TV and my newly-aquired ML Logos Center speaker to the mix. I'll be sure to post new pics when it's all together.

Should be a VERY GOOD addition for you!

I've pretty radically changed things around in my system--added the Center and rear speakers, integrated the system, and best of all, moved it all out into a MUCH bigger room...

Please go to the top of this thread to see my updated specs and pic!

--Richard

Last edited:
Richard,

Hey hey! Glad you got the bug!!!

Anyway, wondering about those solar winds.... you mentioned a quick impression posts of them... are they noticeably better than what you had before? What did you have before anyway?

Joey

Anyway, wondering about those solar winds.... you mentioned a quick impression posts of them... are they noticeably better than what you had before? What did you have before anyway?

Joey,

I had some home-made cables that I made myself. They sounded pretty good, but were lacking a little in the bass department and tended to add a little glare to the upper highs.

The Nordosts are FANTASTIC. The only way to describe them in my system is that they are just not there. These are very transparent cables, and make my system just sound (at the risk of sounding like I'm parroting Nordost's website) "faster". I think that the low impedance of these cables in one of the reasons they sound so good with Logans. I've seen Nordost cables hooked up to a LOT of Logans in stores, and the fellow I bought them from updated to bigger Nordosts so that's why I got the Solar Winds. After having them in the loop for a few weeks, I now know why so many Logan owners like ordost cables. They are just effortless. The only down side is that now I'm starting to think I need a different amp (looking at a Sunfire) to drive the Sequels. The Carvers sound good (better running one in stereo than 2 in bridged mono), but the M-500t just sounds a little restrained, especially with pianos. (I REALLY miss my old Silver 7t's).

Based on my system, I would recommend Nordost cables to anyone with Logans, but as any recommendation in this hobby goes, your mileage may vary... :)

The rest of my main 2-channel connections are solid silver interconnects -- Oppo to Pre, Pre to Amp, Pre to surround processor. And although I LOVE the warm tubey sound of Carver gear, I have found that silver cables sound REALLY good with my gear--no glare or edginess like some people say with silver cables. The copper interconnects I've had (Belden, Canare, Monster, Audioquest, Kimber, Straightwire) have all sounded a little on the sluggish side--not so much warm, but more like fat I guess. These silver interconnects just sound clean. And the Nordosts, although copper-core, compliment the other cables well. I think I've got a really nicely synergistic combination.

Still working on the angles of the Sequels though. Every time I move them, it takes me a week to get them dialed into a new room. And the reason they are set way out on the ends of the rack, and so close to the back walls is ENTIRELY due to SAF. Given my 'druthers, I'd have them out in front of the rack, flanking the TV, about 3.5' from the back wall. As they are, they DO look very nice, and it makes for a visually clean installation, but I'll admit, we almost got into a shouting match over this placement. But domestic peace is more important to me than "perfect sound". And as they are, it DOES sound pretty darn good. We watched a couple movies this weekend, and after a few minor adjustments, I've got them dialed in pretty well. Hopefully by the middle of this week, I can have them really nailed, even with this less-than-optimal placement.

One of the real benefits of Carver's Sonic Holography is that it can help overcome this sort of placement issue. This placement, even considering the airiness of the Sequels, SHOULD sound a little flat, and the soundstage SHOULD be a little stretched and smeared, but with the SH kicked in, the soundstage seems to just lock right in, even though the speakers are almost 10 feet apart and the listening position is only about 8 feet back from the front plane of the speakers. An unexpected benefit of having the speakers this far back is that they are pretty much in the same plane as the Center speaker, so it makes the "time alignment" of the front 3 speakers when listening to 5-channel material just dead on.

I'm going to slap my newly aquired copy of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" on DVD into the player tomorrow, and see how THAT sounds.

"It's just a jump to the left..."

--Richard

Last edited:
You have another Solar Wind fan here. I pick mine up last year and remebered hearing a 'nice' difference, really liking them and them not giving them much more thought after that.
Well, the real test was when I got bored one night and switch back to my old Transparent cables. There was only one thing to say and that was yuck! It was almost as if someone put a huge blanket over my system. Muddy, uncoherent bass, unfocused mids and highs. I couldn't get the Nordost cables back in fast enough.
While I hate to get into the cable debate and am generally on the side that says there's not much to it, the Solar Winds are proof positive that the 'right' cables do make a difference. In my case, tightened bass, more coherent mids and highs, much better detail, female vocals so smooth and silky it made my heart melt. The only problem is that when I hear that much of a difference, I want to upgrade..

Erik gets to check out Dreamer's system

Well, I got to check out Richard's system today and I knew going in that I would be impressed. We spent a good 5 hours talking and listening to all sorts of music: Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, Marley, Vivaldi, Norah Jones just to name a few.

I brought over a pair old monster interconnects (my cables running from the CD to the amp) and I wanted to do an A/B comparison between those wires and Dreamer's pure silver interconnects. Silver, according to some, is very revealing and I found that on his system, they didn't add or take anything away from the performance. In other words, they are pretty transparent. When the monster cable was connected, we both noticed a heavier (or as Rich says, 'fatter') bottom end.

The cables seem to change the personality of the system. I though Richard's summation was very correct. The silver cables allowed a better sounding mid range and highs but the monster cables seemed to bring out more bass.

Rich probably needs a sub at some point and I think the ML Dynamo would do wonders in his room.

A few weeks ago both Rich and I had the pleasure of listening to Dan's (DTB300) system. Again we listened to the same Diana Krall CD and I was blown away when I heard those tracks on Dan's system. Dreamer's setup is no slouch and the same songs were equally enjoyable.

Richard also has the capability to use a passive preamp and that was sort of neat. He has a homemade preamp that is nothing more than a few wires and switches; no internal circuitry. The interesting thing is that some CDs sounded cleaner compared to a much more expensive Carver preamp!

We also talked about potential upgrades and Rich would like to get some Sunfire gear down the line and maybe a sub by the same company.

At any rate, whether he upgrades tomorrow or 20 years from now, Rich seems to make the most out what he has available-very nice Carver gear, great cables (Nordost speaker and White Zombie interconnects), and a very good sounding Oppo CD player. I believe he'll also need to move the couch back a few feet, but that isn't really possible for aesthetic and practical reasons; aka girlfriend would kill him.

I fully enjoyed my saturday afternoon with Dreamer and I hope I can return the favor soon!

Erik

Well, I got to check out Richard's system today and I knew going in that I would be impressed. We spent a good 5 hours talking and listening to all sorts of music: Diana Krall, Pink Floyd, Marley, Vivaldi, Norah Jones just to name a few.

Yeah, we really ran through a pretty diverse and eclectic list of tunes. It was a REALLY fun afternoon! I don't get much opportunity to really "geek out" with my system. Usually it's just me listening on my own. It was really nice to have another set of ears to listen, and I really appreciated Erik's comments and observations.

I brought over a pair old monster interconnects (my cables running from the CD to the amp) and I wanted to do an A/B comparison between those wires and Dreamer's pure silver interconnects.

Now, THAT was an interesting comparison. The Monsters (and these were some relatively low-end Monsters) had a much more pronounced (more thump, but not as tight) bass than the Zombies, and the Zombies had MUCH cleaner mids and highs, but the bass was MUCH more laid back (tighter, but not nearly as visceral). It was a very interesting and revealing experiment. My CD player has two sets of stereo outs, so we were able to A/B them with the flick of the source selector on the preamp.

A few weeks ago both Rich and I had the pleasure of listening to Dan's (DTB300) system. Again we listened to the same Diana Krall CD and I was blown away when I heard those tracks on Dan's system. Dreamer's setup is no slouch and the same songs were equally enjoyable.

That is really a strong compliment to even put my system in the same sentance as Dans. I'm flattered. Sometimes I think my system sounds like crap compared to other people's systems, but Erik told me that I am WAY to hard on myself. I will admit that I am my own worst critic (in many areas of my life), and sometimes I get so wrapped up in the tiny details (that I hear, because I listen to my rig every day) that I lose sight of the "big picture". Compared to people like Dan and "twitch", my system is pretty "entry level", but I'm working on it, and trying to squeeze the most out of what I have. That's what I LOVE about this hobby--we each strive toward the same goals (perfect sound, system synergy.etc) uaing VASTLY different financial, technical, and aural resources.

Richard also has the capability to use a passive preamp and that was sort of neat. He has a homemade preamp that is nothing more than a few wires and switches; no internal circuitry. The interesting thing is that some CDs sounded cleaner compared to a much more expensive Carver preamp!

I'll post pics of my "GPP" (Ghetto Passive Preamp) sometime this week. I'm sure that some of y'all will look at the pics (especially the internals) and just roll your eyes, but you GOTTA hear this little box. It's surprisingly clean-sounding...

At any rate, whether he upgrades tomorrow or 20 years from now, Rich seems to make the most out what he has available-very nice Carver gear, great cables (Nordost speaker and White Zombie interconnects), and a very good sounding Oppo CD player.

Hopefully I'll be upgrading VERY soon. I'm looking for a Sunfire Signature 600x2 amp for the mains, and a Sunfire Preamp (TGP-III or TGP--IV). I'm also considering moving up with my speakers to something a little newer (I have a line on a pair of Ascents) and I DEFINITELY need to upgrade my analogue front-end.So much gear, so little money... :eek:

I fully enjoyed my saturday afternoon with Dreamer and I hope I can return the favor soon!

I really enjoyed having Erik over and getting to show off my system to someone who could really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get the amp and pre upgraded in the next few months, and have the whole crew over this summer.

We were talking about this, and we both agree that since there are so many ML folk in the DC metro area, we should make this sort of thing a regular event. I think that what would be ideal would be to have one local member host every month or two, and just rotate the "party" around to everyone's system through they year. It would be a FANTASTIC opportunity to hear other people's gear (and this crowd out here has a pretty wide-ranging set of kit!) and it woul dalso give the hosts the extremely valuable opportunity to get half-a-dozen outside opinions about their setup, and LOTS of valuable input for possible improvements. I think we all could benefit from this sort of thing tremendously...

We've got a GREAT pool of very enthusiastic ML owners out here, and I think our little club has the potential to grow into a very tight-knit group of fellow audiophiles, all helping each other optimize their systems!

Let's get our ESL on, folks!

--Richard

I just closed a deal on a new (new to me, anyway) preamp!!!

drumroll.........

ARC LS-25 mkII, silver aluminum face, with DH tubes, an extra set of tubes, original box and manual. And it's local, so I don't have to risk shipping it!

I'm going to pick it up Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully I can have the system all re-configured and dialed in by next weekend. Updated pictures will be posted by the middle of next week.

Plans are already in the works for some of the local ML folks to come over for a listen.

Joey-itis struck me hard about a month ago, but I think it will be in remission for quite a while after this purchase. ;)

--Richard

So, I called the guy this evening to arrange pickup of my new preamp, and he told me that he'd sold it to his sister. Apparently the preamp had been his fathers, and the family was pretty upset he was selling it or something.

When I'd last talked to him on Friday (I was out of town all weekend, in NC) he was all for this deal, and seemed pretty cool. He didn't call me or anything...

Luckily, I was going to pay cash, and had not already payed through PayPall or anything. But I already had gone to the bank and taken out the money. As you can imagine I am pretty ****ed...

If anyone is interested in who he is on Audiogon, PM me, and I'll send you his username...

I guess I'll just have to use the money to get new amps or something instead... :)

--Richard

Sorry to hear he jerked you around.

Like you said at least you hadn't sent any money.

Keep looking another ARC will turn up and it will be worth the wait.

I've made a few changes to the system, most of which can't be seen in this pic, but I thought I'd post a new one anyway, because I did change the shelves a little and move the video gear up above the TV...

Changes:
1) got a second shelf for the center rack, and moved VCR and cable box above TV. EFFECT: it looks neater, and the cabling is less cluttered. No sonic improvement

2) Got new footers for the Oppo. They are white ceramic cones from Australia. I got them from a guy on EBAY, and ordered 8 sets of 3. I had the Oppo on a set of small DH Cones, and they were just too small to be stable. I'll probably put most of the other components (processor, pre, etc) on them when I move (except for the amps, which will stay on the big black Isopod ceramic cones, and the TT, which will stay on it's slate and Lacrosse ball stand.) EFFECT: It sounds tighter and a little more open, and it's a LOT more stable. IT hasn't fallen off these cones yet when I push the buttons too hard. (It fell off the DH Cones about twice a week...)

3) Placed 18"x18" marble tiles under the amps and a smaller tile under the preamp. EFFECT: It looks REALLY nice and seems to keep them even cooler than before. I don't know if there is any sonic improvement, because I haven't had a lot of time lately to do any REAL critical listening.

Attachments

• Dreamer_003.jpg
    Dreamer_003.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
I have mentioned it in another thread, but I thought I'd post the news here too: we are moving in about 3 weeks. Currently we're in Columbia MD in a 3br condo, which makes setting up a proper listening room pretty tough.

We're moving to Fayetteville NC for new jobs, and we've already got a house lined up. It is a 4br stand-alone house, 2-stories, and it has a BEAUTIFUL room in the basement, complete with built-in cabinets, that I'm going to use as a dedicated listening/HT room. I think this will sound a LOT better, because it is a much bigger room (about twice the size of the LR in the condo) and it's in the basement on a slope, so it's a VERY solid-walled room with a slab-on-ground floor and only 1 large window in the center of the back wall. IT should be a LOT easier to get my Sequels sounding good there. (of course, I'm VERY tempted to start looking for upgrades for the main speakers--looking at ReQuests, Ascent-i, or maybe even some Monoliths if I can find a good deal on a pair that is close enough to pick up rather than ship).

Anyway, by the middle of June, there will be one less ML owner in MD, and one more in NC. I'll miss the folks up here--the ML owners in the DC-Baltimore area are a GREAT group of people. But it looks like there are quite a few ML guys in NC as well, and I know there are at least a half-dozen fellow Carver-heads down there too, so I think I'll be OK... ;)

I hope I can make it for the upcoming ML Listening Day in Charlotte NC. It's on my calendar!!!

The only part of this move that I'm not thrilled about is the move itself. I have a LOT of stuff other than just stereo gear (here in the condo, and in storage, including about 2.5 TONS of bookbinding and letterpress printing equipment), and although I LOVE playing with my system, the idea of taking everything apart, boxing it up, hauling it 400 miles, and then unpacking, setting it up and then spending a week trying to tweak it back into some sort of musical state is just NOT really something I'm looking forward to. I guess I do have a pretty big motivation knowing that the new listening room should GREATLY improve the sound of my Sequels, and it also should let me really run the Carvers a lot harder too. :rocker: Neighbors? We don't need no steenking neighbors.

So all you NC ML folks--be prepared to start getting a lot of PMs from me--I need to know where all the good audio stores are in NC. Here in the DC metro area, I've gotten really spoiled--there are probably 2 dozen really nice stores within 90 minutes in any direction of me (not counting Tweeters, Circuit City, and Best Buys). I don't think that the Fayetteville area will offer that kind of selection of retail audiophile eye-candy.

I'll keep y'all updated on the move. Pics will be posted of the process...

Wish me luck.

--Richard

Welcome to NC! :D I spent 7 years in Fayetteville myself, back in my Air Force days. It's a bit hot here in the south, but I think you'll enjoy the mild winters. :)

Richard, how much for that rosey napkin under the TV set ? (Not that I really need it, but I think it would look neater without :) )

That is my sweetie's addition.

Under the TV is a REALLY big ugly black steamer trunk, with some pretty ratty hardware. Personally, I like it, because it has a very distressed look to it, but she didn't like looking at the scratches on the case and the rusty hardware, so she covered it with that cloth...

In the new place in NC, this entire shelf system will not be used, because the listening room has a full-wall built-in, with dozens of little nooks and shelves for components. It should look MUCH nicer.

--Richard

Here is a pic of the new "listening room". It's going to look a LOT different after we get all the stuff moved in and set up though. Should be a LOT nicer than the current "family room setup" in the condo...

Attachments

• Dreamer_004.jpg
    Dreamer_004.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 418
Back