Would you sit an Amplifier like this???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HK-Steve

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This is not something I think is a good idea, but the Wife is sick of seeing all my equipment lying around taking up floor space. As we have another Baby due in 2 1/2 months she is turning my life upside down already ;)

She said,"Why can't you put it here" pointing to the rear Bass enclosure of my Quest Main Speakers. Sit the Amp here???

I myself don't like the idea, but it does provide a solution.
I have sat one of my Amps, Rotel RB991, as you can see in the picture.
htequipment.msnw

The other thought that I had was to build a support so the amp doesn't sit on the bass enclosure, but supported above it. Still in roughly the same position.

The only other option I have is to sit the amp on it's Face, behind the Quest.
This would have the speaker, power and inputs pointing to the ceiling.

Can anyone give me some comments??
Good Bad or ugly, any are welcome.

Cheers
Steve

I took a look at your picture.........looks dangerous if a child touched the back and it fell.

Here is a member system with the same idea, and it works better:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=270

If I were you, I would hook the Rotel amp up to a Panamax or power strip with remote turn on capablity and place it out of sight in a well ventilated enclosure/cabinet.

That is why I am thinking of a shelf or support,
So that it isn't an issue of it falling off the back, or as you suggested, Kid Safety.

The Amps in the picture you linked to are IcePower, which are good, but I don't like the sound of them, So I am sticking to my Rotel. The advantage of the IcePower is their size, and weight.

I do like the idea of the remote switching ON, but I don't have any room to relocate the amps to. Very tight room at the moment. I could have made my screen smaller, but I love my Marquee 9500LC onto my 2.5m screen width. :D and made some more room, but bigger is better in this case anyway.

I appreciate the comments.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
you could mount the amp flat against the wall. that's my plan and i believe that Gilbert of Blue Circle has done similar.

You also might use the Bryston PowerPacs. They mount with screws to the back of a speaker. They sound good too!

garmtz said:
Bryston PowerPacs.
Found a review with a picture - looks like an under seat car amp. In 60w and 120 w, guess these are not toys.

http://www.bryston.ca/reviews/pp120/gramophone2.html

One of the things I like about stereo (and women) is seeing a nice rack, equipment rack that is.

What will happen to the hobby when the systems are invisible to the casual observer?

Will this be a good thing?

HT systems are like that now.

Either the equipment/speakers are all open to be seen or enclosed behind fabric panels hidden from view.

With ML's you have no choice but to have them in plain sight :D

EricE said:
With ML's you have no choice but to have them in plain sight :D

because ML's are beautiful. who would ever put them away from sight.

right? riiiiiiiiiiiight. :D

EricE said:
HT systems are like that now.
Benign design verses industrial design? :)

Stereo is a malignant condition, I know - I have it. ;)

Well, I would NEVER Hide my ML's :D
It is pretty hard to hide them when you have 5 sitting around the room.

Fortunately, I do have a Wife that really likes the look of ML's,
the problem is the rest of the equipment hooked up to them :rolleyes:

I am going to mount the Amps Vertically behind the Quest,
I have had one of my Rotel RB991's this way for the last year located behind my equipment rack, with no issues.

Now that I have the 2nd Rotel, I have a major cable re-organisation, which is great as It is well overdue.

I Appreciate everyones comments,
And even the topic has changed to Racks :cool: Which I do have an interest(Ha Ha) don't we all??? In one form or another :p

Cheers
Steve

Why not go with a salamander Desings audio rack to hide your gear? You buy the rack itself and from there can buy accessories, like perforated side panels, doors to enclose your components; you can get the doors with perforated steel or frosted glass. You can even buy a rack mount kit to rack mount all your components inside the cabinet. Very wife friendly stuff.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/

DTB300 said:
Okay..since the side topic of racks came up...I could not resist...If the wife would let me, I would purchase this rack from Adona for my two power amps for my main and sub amps - and the company is local to me - right down the street...wonder if I can get a neighbor discount :D

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?accsrack&1122417142

Hay DTB300, Nice rack! :D

Looks like a nice isolation rack, I am going to go with GrandPrix audio my self. That’s if it doesn’t totally brake the bank. :(

Regarding mounting the amplifier on its side, consider the path that cooling air needs to take, if the heatsinks are inside the amplifier that is.

zaphod said:
because ML's are beautiful. who would ever put them away from sight.

right? riiiiiiiiiiiight. :D

Never!!!! Plus my wife love their look too :D

DTB300 those racks looke nice :rolleyes:

Yeah the Adona stuff is very nice. But with SMS-1 coming out soon for $500, I would rather spend my money on that then a $500 Amp Stand. But if I had $500 sitting around doing nothing, that stand is real nice.

Dan

DTB300 said:
Yeah the Adona stuff is very nice. But with SMS-1 coming out soon for $500, I would rather spend my money on that then a $500 Amp Stand. But if I had $500 sitting around doing nothing, that stand is real nice.

Dan

I'm saving my pennies for a SMS-1 and a dual SVS CS-Ultra package for next year :D

Back to the topic of amps on top of ML's.... I would wonder if the vibrations caused by the woofer enclosure would have a negative effect on the amps placed on top of them :confused:

EricE said:
I'm saving my pennies for a SMS-1 and a dual SVS CS-Ultra package for next year :D

Back to the topic of amps on top of ML's.... I would wonder if the vibrations caused by the woofer enclosure would have a negative effect on the amps placed on top of them :confused:

my concern as well, so i took three small (8") innertubes to sit between the amp and my sub. - the isolation is great.

then one day i thought "hmmm, powered subs have the amp directly attached to the sub (cf the ML sub line) and there seems to be no concern by the makers (ie: ML) on the effect of vibrations on the amp" ....

so i stopped worrying and started enjoying the music. seems to be a happier situation.

zaphod said:
so i stopped worrying and started enjoying the music. seems to be a happier situation.

So true! so true!

Some audiophiles are so engrossed with tweeks and improvements to their systems that they just can't sit back and enjoy the music. I bet 99.9% of the people on thist site have systems that sound 1000% better then what the big store chains sell.

Back