Who says Logans can't do rock ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanDaRo

Reaction score
I don't know who said it first, but I distinctly remember hearing people kvetch about some supposed fact that Martin-Logans can't rock -- or can't rock with authority.

Well, Cerwin-Vegas they're not. But rock they do, especially when paired with a good subwoofer. Since I'm off today and the family is visiting in Pittsburgh, I took the opportunity to break out some wild and woolly material. In that listening there was a fair smattering of rock and metal like Dream Theater and Megadeth.

With the new sub now jiving well with the mains, my speakers unleashed an unholy torrent of double-devil-horns, stomp-a-mudhole-in-your-face rock that I found impressive, if not the best that I've heard since my days with the Kappa 9.1s. And yes, I had the rig turned up fairly loud -- saw 102 dB on the Rat-Shack meter a few times.

I especially liked the intros to Megadeth's Kill The King and Angry Again. Scary-good guitar players those guys are... Now it's time to crack a beer and chill to some Larry Carlton or Acoustic Alchemy.

Happy listening all, and happy Fourth of July !!

~VDR

Hi VDR, happy holiday to you too!

Yes, they can sure rock!

I just finished some more acoustic treatments today (story to come soon) and man, these things can sure do the hard stuff. :rocker:

It's all about managing the room modes. The speakers themselves do great!

Although, a big Infinite Baffle sub and custom tuned mid-bass drivers also help. ;)

I just spun Porcupine Tree's 'Fear of a blank planet' in DVD-A format on the system, and man, what a treat. bass like you wouldn’t believe and tom-tom slam that's nice and clean.
The mid's and highs are sublime, but with no trace of room ringing, even more so.

People who criticize them, really just have bad setups IMHO.

You know what's funny? I had a VERY stressfull day (may be on call all damn weekend and I have to travel on Sunday to boot). So when I got home I poured myself a nice double Bourbon and threw in some Ministry. "Jesus Built My Hot Rod" never sounded so good - and this is on CLS's mind you.

Saw this post VanDaRoo and said to myself "Fuc%in' A they can do rock!"

I opened this thread while listening to Radiohead's new The Best Of. Um, yeah, I suppose they do rock.

Sometimes, for fun, I'll even route rock music (that's heavily studio processed anyway) through 5.1, or even in stereo front + mirrored stereo rears, for a "big headphones effect." Listening to rock LPs this way is an appropriately subversive way to appreciate them, given the mood.

I'm sure the Summit/Descent combo slams the **** outta my Sequel II/Depth rig....

It's good to be a reviewer, eh ??

~VDR

Last edited:
Agreed!

Summits rock like a Saturday night Corvette going fast on a dirt road... what a ride....

My must haves:

Led Zeppelin II

Ozzy Tribute to Randy Rhoads - Randy Rhoads studio out-takes {Dee} Guitar obviously but fantastic for speaker placement

DIO - Like a Rainbow in the Dark

& for the Speedball ending? {Think John Belushi}

Merle Haggard - Epic Hits 1984 - Thats the way love goes {How well you can hear the words following "That's the Music ..." is a test I use for quality}

Best Regards

*** PsychoAcoustic ***

Summits, Perreaux, Krell, JL Fathom

YES INDEED ! It must be something in the air! While listening to Ken Scollick system yesterday I think we hit 110 db with some Talking Heads. His huge room was filled with sound. I do not usually listen at anything past 85 to 90 db (Rat Shack Meter tested) but it was one of those days. This I can tell ya the Prodigies HAVE bass, They just need to be pushed a bit to get it out of them.

Golly, you guys sure are right!

When my wife was away last night, I took the opportunity to have a boy's night.

I put on my "Best of Barry Manilow" and let me tell you, Barry was a force of nature, like getting baked at the tanning salon and having your hair blown, all at the same time! I nearly dropped my wine spritzer!

Golly, you guys sure are right!

When my wife was away last night, I took the opportunity to have a boy's night.

I put on my "Best of Barry Manilow" and let me tell you, Barry was a force of nature, like getting baked at the tanning salon and having your hair blown, all at the same time! I nearly dropped my wine spritzer!

ROFL!

faaaaaabuloussssssssssssssssss!!:D

Martin Logans can't rock.

:guitarman::guitarman::guitarman::guitarman::

Oh alright, maybe they can...:rocker:

I'm sure the Summit/Descent combo slams the **** outta my Sequel II/Depth rig....

It's good to be a reviewer, eh ??

~VDR

I love my job!

Seriously though, what really takes these speakers to the next level is really good source components, careful attention to setup, a good room and tons of clean power....

I've listened to the Summits on about 40 different amps now, and aside from the Premier 350, the only other amp that really makes them get up and go has been the Sanders Monoblocks.

The others play pretty loud, but the 350 and the Sanders play really loud effortlessly. That's the difference for me.

That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the Summits with other amps, but these two so far have been the ones that worked the best, with the most sheer grunt, dynamics and musicality. I have a few other big monster amps coming in over the next six months, so I'm sure there will be a couple more to add to my list.

Hm I remember hearing a 350 connected to some Avalon Eidolons in London. Really distinctly unimpressed by the setup - very expensive and totally average, it left me cold! Maybe it does gel with a Summit, though I find it hard to imagine... though the 350 got an ace review by Martin Colloms in Hi-Fi News over here. You should know him because he is a Sterophile contributor.

I think Martin is an idiot, though. He basically slagged of SACD and did it now favours at all, compliaining about timing etc. What a fool - SACD is definately audibly superior to CD by some margin. We get a great hi-res format, and a premier reviewer knocks it. If the audiophile community won't endorse a hi-res format, then who will?

Martin had me conned for quite a few years, until I actually heard some of the stuff he wrote about. Ken Kessler is much more to my tastes, possessing excellent wit and appreciation of genuinely fine components, plus and obvious love for it all.

MLs rock - and KK does too!:rocker:

Back