Which Subwoofer?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltran

Reaction score
I don't know if/when I'm going to be able to afford to upgrade my speakers, but within the next 2-5 years I'd like to get Vantages, Summits, Spires, or something along those lines. For now, however, I'm sticking with my Purities, and have decided they need a subwoofer. I'd prefer to buy one sub and stick with it for a while, even if I upgrade my speakers. So, the question is, which to go with? I'd like to spend as little money as possible, to get good results.

Does the down-firing of the Dynamo/Abyss provide a tangible benefit that may make me prefer it over the Grotto i?

Is the Depth i enough better than the Grotto i to be worth the extra money for me, when I'd like to be saving money for other new equipment? (talking about used prices)

Thanks

I don't know if/when I'm going to be able to afford to upgrade my speakers, but within the next 2-5 years I'd like to get Vantages, Summits, Spires, or something along those lines. For now, however, I'm sticking with my Purities, and have decided they need a subwoofer. I'd prefer to buy one sub and stick with it for a while, even if I upgrade my speakers. So, the question is, which to go with? I'd like to spend as little money as possible, to get good results.

Does the down-firing of the Dynamo/Abyss provide a tangible benefit that may make me prefer it over the Grotto i?

Is the Depth i enough better than the Grotto i to be worth the extra money for me, when I'd like to be saving money for other new equipment? (talking about used prices)

Thanks

Hola...the Dynamo and Abyss will do fine with your Purity, the Grotto i has a servo, so IMHO it is faster and better. The Depth i is a total different beast, and really worth the extra money. If you are thinking to ufgrade your Purities, then go for the Depth i. To my ears, one of the best in the marketplace today, regardless of price!. Happy listening,
Roberto.

Which Sub?

About christmas time last year I purchased a used Depth. Got a good deal on it from Echo Audio up here in Portland. It is an excellent unit. It replaced a M&K V2B which I have had for many years. I am very happy with it paired with my Aeon I's. Completely fills in the last octave that the Aeons don't cover.
I heartily reccommend getting a Depth or Descent.

Depending on your budget , subs are finicky . The Depth series is outstanding. However once you drop below the Groto i The non servo subs are a but slow IMHO. A good sub should be fast and clean. Servo helps that a lot.

I like my Dynamo for casual listening at my PC desk. But my next sub will hopefully be a JL Audio. :)

Definitely agree on the servo controlled subs so my vote is the Grotto i and up. I purchased a Sunfire sub which I auditioned with movies and its great. But when it comes to music, it's definitely slow (and annoying.. I actually bypass the sub now when seriously listening to music). So my next plan in upgrading the subwoofer. Probably Grotto i (Depth i is still an option) as I live in a small space.

Great plan buying the sub once, from all I have heard, you will not be disappointed by the Depth i.

Good Luck!

I will likely upgrade from my SuperCube I to a high end servo based ML brand sub in the future for music. For the home theater it works great as an LFE channel, especially for $600.

Last edited:
i built a DIY based on the adire 12" tempest. it had lots of volume and i knocked a picture or two off the upstairs walls, but it never had punch.

i replaced it with a depth and have been happy as a clam. the only upgrades i would consider are the depth i or a descent i or a second depth in daisy chain.

I have had plenty subs in last few years....starting from sunfire true subs, velodyne hgs 12 then hgs 15, definitive techs, 4 pairs of rel B1 subs, martin logan depth i and finally jl fathom f113. All I can say is get a pair of subs vs single....it does wonders. Which one is my favorite? I like the rels and jl fathom 113......These were my favorite two subs.....I like the rel for flexibility of hookups and I like the jl subs for really deep bass without the heavy boom lots of people complain about during 2 ch listening.....happy listening...

All I can say is get a pair of subs vs single....it does wonders.

My room is really rather small. While the concept of 2 subs sounds appealing, one high quality sub like a Depth i is probably overkill, in terms of filling the space.

Feltran (or anyone else) I need suggestions about subwoofer for my Purity.
2ch setup.
thanks

I can say with authority that a properly built Rythmik Servo sub Kit from Brian Ding at Rythmik will best just about 90% of all commercial subs in the $2k range.
!

I can say with authority that a properly built Rythmik Servo sub Kit from Brian Ding at Rythmik will best just about 90% of all commercial subs in the $2k range.
!

"a properly built" please explain with details...
thanks
Nikos

Properly built means , The right cabinet size with the right material and the right set up ! Do not leave build quality to doubt. When in doubt , build it stout. This was the first Rythmik Sub I built. It was a DS 1500 15 inch Servo design from Rythmik.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984831&highlight=

Hopefully Jtwrace chimes in as he built a DS1200 IIRC in a Aluminum cabinet he machined himself.

I to agree with JonFo on the IB subs. I am contemplating one now in my HT room.

Properly built means , The right cabinet size with the right material and the right set up ! Do not leave build quality to doubt. When in doubt , build it stout. This was the first Rythmik Sub I built. It was a DS 1500 15 inch Servo design from Rythmik.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=984831&highlight=

Hopefully Jtwrace chimes in as he built a DS1200 IIRC in a Aluminum cabinet he machined himself.

I to agree with JonFo on the IB subs. I am contemplating one now in my HT room.

Yes, CAP is correct. Build it with 1 3/4" walls minimum and brace properly (drawings on the Rythmik site) and you will be very happy. Of course you can be crazy like my and build it out of aluminum. So, proper volume, thick walls, bracing, stuffing and you'll be set. I/we can certainly help with any other questions you may have.

Here are the plans from the Rythmik site: http://rythmikaudio.com/diy.html
Brian Ding from Rythmik is also awesome with any questions that you may have as well.

Here is also another thread on a DIY Rythmik kit. IWalker is a good friend and he got me hooked on these.
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3861

Last edited:
OK great. but I think I will not take the diy road.
any other suggestions for my Purity?
thanks

Back