Which Sub to buy with SL3 and surround speakers suggestions.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HG5150

Reaction score
I have a set of awesome SL3s and would like to incorporate a sub to deepen the lows. I want something that is musical but can apply to home theater as well. Tight accurate bass. Something that will blend seamlessly with the SL3s. The music aspect is most important. Everything from Bach to VanHalen.

Also, any recommendations for surrounds? I have four Polk R15s which are great and plan to add a ML center in wall. Any input will be appreciated.

HG, I'll start out with my recomendation.........'JL' if you got the budget......... Velodyne 'DD' series if you want 'bang for the buck'.......I use the velo DD-15, built in SMS make set up a breeze.

I looked at JL and size and budget will not allow. I am considering two subs depending on the feedback from this post. I'll look at the DD15.

I looked at JL and size and budget will not allow. I am considering two subs depending on the feedback from this post. I'll look at the DD15.
I had the DD15, and now have the JL113. The JL113 works better for me. Retail prices, the DD15 is more expensive than the JL113. Used prices I am unsure. The JL113 is smaller in size, but about 30 lbs heaver.

Last edited:
I had the DD15, and now have the JL113. The JL113 works better for me. Retail prices, the DD15 is more expensive than the JL113. Used prices I am unsure. The JL113 is smaller in size, but about 30 lbs heaver.

I checked thier website and will consider the JL. Wondering if anyone has input on ML subs and the idea of twin subs as I have two pre-outs.

Retail prices, the DD15 is more expensive than the JL113.

pretty much meaningless..........first off nobody in their right mind pays retail, secondly the DD-15 is discounted more than JL (I paid $2300 for mine...new), with that being said am I saying the Velo is better than the JL.....not at all, merely pointing out some of the 'hazards' of retail pricing.

Two are better than one. All the subs mentioned so far are good. I would also suggest ML Depth i's or Descent i's.

Hola. Also you can think in two Grottos I (servo). I like them too. I use Depth I with my CLXs, but my room is very small. Two Grottos will do fine!. Try to listen to them, and choose the ones that you liked most. Happy listening and trust your ears!

Two are better than one. All the subs mentioned so far are good. I would also suggest ML Depth i's or Descent i's.

For sure, I wasn't trying to 'slight' M/L at all........

Good point. Still looking for suggestions regarding the use of one or two subs.

I spoke with ML and they said that I should look at one Decenti or maybe two Depths or Grottos for what I am trying to achive. They stated that they would blend with the SLS. Again, music is my primary concern knowing a sub can rock the house in THX mode, but most subs are muddy and boomy with music.

I am also a happy SL3 owner and went from Velodynne to 2 JL Fathom 113's and never looked back! They are absolutely amazing and blend with the SL3's perfectly! I agree with other posters - nobody pays retail for these - i bought mine for over $1000 off retail on audiogon... you just need to search!

SL3/subs

I have used two depths with my SL3's and now summits and set them them up per ML suggestions in the manual, behind each speaker and they worked great. I am sure you can find two used depths or i's at a reasonable price. enjoy

I have used two depths with my SL3's and now summits and set them them up per ML suggestions in the manual, behind each speaker and they worked great. I am sure you can find two used depths or i's at a reasonable price. enjoy

Thanks. I emailed Dana and she suggested the Depthi (one) or two Grottos. I'm concerend about remastered older material such as The Who---as they often place instruments in separate channels. Not sure if Im over concerned. Looks like I am narrowing it down to either one Decenti, two Depthi, two Grottos, or JL F113. Oh the choices!

I am also a happy SL3 owner and went from Velodynne to 2 JL Fathom 113's and never looked back! They are absolutely amazing and blend with the SL3's perfectly! I agree with other posters - nobody pays retail for these - i bought mine for over $1000 off retail on audiogon... you just need to search!

What size room do you have, material you listen to...THX and music or other???

Thanks. I emailed Dana and she suggested the Depthi (one) or two Grottos. I'm concerend about remastered older material such as The Who---as they often place instruments in separate channels. Not sure if Im over concerned. Looks like I am narrowing it down to either one Decenti, two Depthi, two Grottos, or JL F113. Oh the choices!

All of your choices are good. I would say it comes down to what kind of a deal you can find. Dana, by the way, is a "he". I call him "Mr. Prodigy" since he personally put together about 60% of the Prodigy's a decade ago.

All of your choices are good. I would say it comes down to what kind of a deal you can find. Dana, by the way, is a "he". I call him "Mr. Prodigy" since he personally put together about 60% of the Prodigy's a decade ago.

I agree and now have the knowledge to move forward. Any thoughts on the Grottos? Thank you for the gender issue...whew! I now know that Dana is a guy! Man, he is awesome!

Latest posts

Back