What do you use for portable listening???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yang1815

Reaction score
My gf just gave me Shure E2c's and they are pretty amazing.

Wonder what other people use for portable listening???

I just might have to upgrade later haha...

iPod + either Sennheiser PX100 or Ultimate Ears' UE-5c.

Headphones are another world with an upgrade path all their own. How about a $1K set of personally shaped for your ears In-Ear-Monitors (ear buds) powered by a $4000 fully balanced headphone amplifier. Of course it would be a shame to then use an ipod as a source component.

Although I would consider the very portable Headphone Micro Amp since I travel quite a bit.

http://www.headphone.com/products/

Etymotic Research ER6's.

Absolutely great headphones with excellent sound isolation, as they are in-ear designs.

er6-top.jpg

However, I'd love to use a pair of these Stax electrostatic headphones:

007-12.jpg

Here's a great review on the Stax line of earspeakers

The ultimate ESL lovers headphone :cool:

Not very portable though, just like ML's, they require and AC plug nearby :p

I use my AKG K501s with a Japan-sourced MiniDisc player. Minidisc has a great sound... definately different sounding from CDs.

iPod with either some killer Sony ear buds that sound great (can't remember the model) or some Shure E3c's. I actually prefer the Sony's for some reason, and they cost $100.00 less than the Shure's.

Sometimes I just listen to the voices in my head :eek:

iPod running Apple Lossless and Shure E2c or Sennheiser 515. The Shures are great but I too would love to use a pair of Stax electrostatic earspeakers!!

I used to use a Dell DJ, but gave up on portable listening. If you want to check out some good headphones (they are pretty hot right now too) go to Vmoda

http://www.v-moda.com/

I have a few portables... Just bought the wife an 80 gig Video Ipod, I have an older 3rd gen 15 gig pod, and a new black 4 gig Video Nano, will get a black 80 gig Video IPod for myself in the future.

I have some Etymotic ER4P's which produce some AWESOME sound...BUT...the problem is the same with ALL of the noise isolating ear buds, you hear your teeth and chewing if you are eating anything. You hear clicking ANY time the headphone cord is bumped...they are a PITA in my opinion! The ONLY time I use my Etymotics is when I am mowing the yard because the zero turn mower is so loud I need some sort of ear plugs!

I just use some cheapo in ears for my regular listening (but I am intrigued by the V-moda) because I usually only use them when I am riding my handcycle anyway and I want to be able to hear cars sneaking up behind me... The phones were $15 and they SUCK! Was looking for something better but it looked like all of the good stuff is the noise isolating kind and I already knew I did not like those...again other than for music when I am shooting guns or mowing the yard I'd rather listen to my ML's! Of course most of my guns don't make much noise because of their enhancements so I really don't need ear protection for MY guns anyway...:cool:

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Some of the setups aren't really portable at all IMHO...

I mean does anyone actually wear a headphone with an amp to go jogging?! Even travelling/flying too...

But anyways I don't see a problem with iPod if the rip quality's good... Apple lossless or even AAC I think are ok...

I guess I was looking for ML owners' opinion on some of the more established earphones such as Etimotic/Shure/Ultimate Ears.

Considering the E3c/E4c/ER6i, going to definitely wait for the new SE line from Shure to come out because then the E series will drop in price hehe.

I use my Shure's a lot when I'm studying (which is hours everyday... Joey knows...) and definitely when I'm flying. Jogging no because it's kind of dangerous, but running on a treadmill, yes.

Wife bought me an iPod shuffle last weekend......sort of a late Xmas gift. Its neat.....would be better with longer wires to the earphones but at around $70 I think its worth every penny...

Tj

iPod -> Headrom Total Bithead -> Etymotic ER4-P with the P-S cable (effectively ER-4S)

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Some of the setups aren't really portable at all IMHO...

I mean does anyone actually wear a headphone with an amp to go jogging?! Even travelling/flying too...

I travel with them and the amp every work day. (1 hour train ride from the burbs to downtown) and a few hours a day at the office/cube land.

But anyways I don't see a problem with iPod if the rip quality's good... Apple lossless or even AAC I think are ok...

Given a quality rip Apple lossles or greater then 256kbs AAC, the playback quality is fine. Before the music sever I used to hook the iPod to my Pioneer VSX-74TXVi and ML Vistas, still great sound.

I guess I was looking for ML owners' opinion on some of the more established earphones such as Etimotic/Shure/Ultimate Ears.

Headphones and the lack of amplifier power to drive them are the limiters with portable music. First problem is the garabage $29 headpones they include with a $300 player. Second is the lack of amplifier, this has beeen cut so that they can use smaller batteries and still get an acceptable battery life.

I get a headphone amplifier, I have the Total Bithead, but also consider the Micro (I will get one of those next time I get a case Joeyist). This makes an audible difference even in the bad headphones they give you.

Next get a great set of phones. ER-4S is waht I have and love, great sound, (these were the best speaker I owned up till I got my ML Vistas). And excellent sound isolation. Required for travel (train or plane) and in large noisy cubes at work.

I use my Shure's a lot when I'm studying (which is hours everyday... Joey knows...) and definitely when I'm flying. Jogging no because it's kind of dangerous, but running on a treadmill, yes.

I used to were heaphones while jogging and riding my bike till I noticed a Mercedez directly on my tail one day. I never heard it approach. these were cheap sony headphone connected to a walkman. If exercising outside (on the public roads) no headphones or cell phones you need to be aware of your enviornment.

Nice setup. Yeah if I were considering the ER4, or even ER6 for that matter, I'd get an amp to go with it too. However, most of the time I carry just the minimum and there's no room for an amp.

As for exercising outdoor yeah definitely no sound isolation earphones. Thanks Burke!

I use a Rio Karma with CD's riped as OGG Vorbis files and a Sony Hi-MD Minidisc recorder (really nice sound, and can also record .wav files) and a pair of Etymotic ER-6. I have a headrooom amp, but I don't use it when I am on planes. The improvement in sound isn't really noticable in that environment, but then again the Karma has a much better headphone amp than the iPod does.

I lost my first pair of ER-6 on the first leg of a trip and couldn't bear the thought of flying back home without them, so I scoured the Phoenix area looking for a retailer so I could replace them before returning home.

Like other's have said, the bad thing about these is you can't eat anything cruchy while the earphones are in, but they isolate better than the noise cancellation headphones.

Latest posts

Back