Using Center channel speakers as Rears

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davioj

Reaction score
Well I just bought the focus C18 and have my ESL C, have a chance to purchase a second ESL C at a real good price and have been wondering if anyone has used the ESL C as rear or side speakers and would it work well or should I just get rid of the C that I have and not think of doing this was wondering what are the pros and cons of using these speakers for that purpose.

Dave

I don't know if anyone has tried it. You could be the first to try and let us know. However I think it would be best to sell/Trade-In the ESL C and put the money you would for the extra ESL C for 2 or 4 Motion FX2s or even a good set of EM-ESLs for surround over using the ESL Cs. I use EM-ESLs for my surround channels and enjoy it. I wasn't a fan of the ESL C but maybe it can be a great surround speaker! However If you do go the dual ESL Cs please let us know how it goes. I would be very interested.

I'm running reQuests for fronts, Focus C18 Centre, Ethos for side surrounds and 4 ML inceiling MC 6 or MC 8 just thinking that I already have my old ESL C so I was just thinking of using it with another for rear and wondering if there was any reason for not using this setup, may be these will not put out the proper dispersion of sound.

Dave

I am running CLSii's for L&R
Logos Center
ESL Classics side L&R
Stylos Rears
Vignettes front and rear height.

Not traditional but sounds outstanding.

Well I just bought the focus C18 and have my ESL C, have a chance to purchase a second ESL C at a real good price and have been wondering if anyone has used the ESL C as rear or side speakers and would it work well or should I just get rid of the C that I have and not think of doing this was wondering what are the pros and cons of using these speakers for that purpose.

Dave

Nothing really prohibits from using C speaker also in different place. Good speaker is a good speaker. There are many great installations with same speaker in 7.1, although usually people spend more on L-C-R than surrounds.

Some things to consider:
- ESL-C [and Focus] are specific. I would measure them with REW, in order to understand , how they behave in that specific position [e.g. floor bounce and side wall reflections will be completely different to C Channel placement] and you might get surprised by e.g back of the sofa or near to the corner placement impact
- to get this real immersion and "bubble" of sound, it is usually advised to have surrounds and rear surrounds the same. Significant difference between rears and surrounds will be distracting with panning from back to front or similar.
- depending on the size of your room - 4x Motion XT B100 should be more than enough

I'd think the vertical dispersion would cause an issue. Putting it vertical will possible also limit the sweetspot. The EFX is a nice solution (I use the older version), but, of course, if you have space/budget for the classic 9 that too could be an option. I like the EFX myself.

Well thanks for the replies but I just found out my rear installed in wall wiring will not reach where I planed to mount them, should have checked this out first. Sorry guys, I was also very undecided about using them anyways so this made up my mind for me I will sell my old centre an use the money to get a OLED tv when they come down in price.

Thanks

Dave

Back