What Are My Options For Next Upgrade?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yang1815

Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty content with my system setup right now since I use it more for HT than music (through Airport Express optical to Denon) but I was just wondering what I could add/change to my system to improve it. Or should I leave it as the way it is and put the money towards a second Martin Logan system? I was thinking about maybe a center channel? I have a Mirage subwoofer that I have yet to hook up to the system due to the lack of room! Not sure if it'd match the system though. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Here's the link to my system:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1367

Audio components are listed here:
Aerius
Denon 3806 as pre/pro
Anthem AMP 2 Special Edition (hybrid)
BlueJeans IC/Speaker Cables

Thanks!

Well, I'm pretty content with my system setup right now since I use it more for HT than music (through Airport Express optical to Denon) but I was just wondering what I could add/change to my system to improve it. Or should I leave it as the way it is and put the money towards a second Martin Logan system? I was thinking about maybe a center channel? I have a Mirage subwoofer that I have yet to hook up to the system due to the lack of room! Not sure if it'd match the system though. Any suggestions/comments would be appreciated!

Here's the link to my system:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=1367

Audio components are listed here:
Aerius
Denon 3806 as pre/pro
Anthem AMP 2 Special Edition (hybrid)
BlueJeans IC/Speaker Cables

Thanks!

You like HT more than music, but it appears that you watch movies via a 2-channel system?

I take it, you don't have a true surround sound set-up then?

If that's the case AND you don't have room for rear speakers, a sub could certainly add an extra dimension to your HT experience. If your processor has a '3-stereo' option (meaning a center channel speaker + 2 main speakers), then, yes, a center channel could be a nice addition.

I would take a long, hard, look at a used ML center channel. Man, they are fantastic sounding!

Unless you are planning to add more speakers and hook up the sub, I wouldn't bother with an upgrade to your surround sound processor at this point.

If space is a big problem, consider the Tube Subs over at SVS, or the ML Dynamo.

Erik

Yang1815,
Well a loaded question but I think there are always options. As far as a center channel, I think that is a good idea. As a test, have you tried to use the speaker(s) in your TV as a center channel? Some TV's can be configured to use the internal speakers as a center channel...........just a thought. You could also just borrow a small bookshelf speaker and try that and see if you like the sound presentation. It probably will not match real well but you never know.

If you want to buy a center channel I would look at manufactures which manufacture good quality (there is a loaded statement) speakers. Yes, ML ATF speakers do blend well with the panels but there are other manufacturers who make fine products which will be fast enough and not "color" the sound as to making you aware of the center compared to the L&R side.

The sub is almost always a nice enhancement to the overall sound. The positioning of the sub is not always in a corner and you may find another place where it will produce the sound you need and not be in the way. The sub can be in many places within in a room and it is experimentation and fun which is part of this hobby.

Good Luck

Jeff:cool:

ML Cinema center channel and Scripts for the rear wall or overhead like Robin does! No doubt these speakers would be a GREAT match for the Aerius and would REALLY add to your HT experience, a sub should also be VERY HIGH on that list. You are really missing out on the bottom end w/ the Aerius.

I would strongly suggest that you audition a good center speaker. I believe you will be amazed at how much better your home theater will sound.

Next, a subwoofer is also very important for HT. The subwoofer in the Aerius is decent so its not like you're lacking here, but I seem to recall that it is a passive subwoofer. A good powered subwoofer will give you a better home theater experience.

Thanks guys!

I was thinking a center too, and if you look at the picture of my setup... I don't have room for the 12" sub! I'd have to run a cable to the corner of the room which would block either doorways...

Same reason I haven't even considered the rears yet.

I originally though I'd use my ML's more for music but I thought wrong!

I'll keep an eye out for a used ML center! (My OCD doesn't allow me to mix speaker brands, another reason to not hook up the Mirage sub!!!)

Really appreciate all your inputs!

I'll keep an eye out for a used ML center! (My OCD doesn't allow me to mix speaker brands, another reason to not hook up the Mirage sub!!!)

Mine TOO! Prodigy, Theater, Ascent, Script, Descent! LOL!

Looking to do an MBL HT system too (but I will probably resort to an REL sub...hey, at least it is a three letter company product! LOL!)

Quick Question...

My amp (Anthem) is a 2 channel amp. Should I get another amp dedicated for the center channel or hook it up directly to the Denon 3806? Maybe I could try ampless to hear how it sounds then decide?

Darn electronics!!! So many possibilities >_<

My amp (Anthem) is a 2 channel amp. Should I get another amp dedicated for the center channel or hook it up directly to the Denon 3806? Maybe I could try ampless to hear how it sounds then decide?
Money, Money, Money. This is the bottom line for you to get better sound for your HT setup. If it was me, and HT was my main goal then:

Adding a Center Channel, Sub, and Surrounds would greatly improve your HT experience. I would go with some good Surrouds first, then the Sub, then the Center Channel (you can run Phantom Center until you purchase a dedicated center as you probably are doing now) in that order. But you also need to power those speakers too.

You will see in my post, I did a comparison of a main stream receiver against a dedicated Pre Pro and found the main stream receiver really did degrade the sound. Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?p=45597#post45597

But going this route of a Pre/Pro that does not drive speakers, you need to have amps to drive the Surrounds and Center. But individual amps can be picked up at a good price, and there are some nice 7 channel amps out there that come up for sale used.

You have a good idea on how the ML speakers sound, but only you can decide on the amps to drive them and the Pre/Pro to use based on what you like from each of them. But again you need to decide your $$$$ and go from there. Initially using the Denon for just your surrounds will "probably" be ok, but again it depends on your sound levels you like to have :). But you will find dedicated amps (again depends on the amps you get) should make a great improvement in the sound you would be getting. Take a look at JonFo and his multi-dedicated-amp setup for the ultimate HT sound. But $$$ plays a part and small steps are sometimes needed to get there.

Dan

Thanks Dan, appreciate your inputs and your review on pre/pro vs. receiver.

My plan for the future is to keep the Denon as pre/pro and when I am shopping a second system dedicated for music, I will get a dedicated pre/pro and use the Anthem amp to drive whatever MLs I get in the future. As for the Denon, I'll probably expand that with a 5 channel amp for HT with matching ML speakers.

So for now, I'm leaning towards getting a monoblock for the center and an ML center speaker.

And of course $$$$ is a big issue and I haven't really come up with a budget yet for speakers. My focus now is get through finals and pick out a car for purchase this summer (~50k budget). Leaning towards M35x over GS350AWD or RL. Any thoughts on this issue??? (totally OT I know!)

There are a pair of Aeon i's up for sale on Audiogon for $1900, Ascents for $2300, and Vista's for $3100 - shipping included!!! You could use any of these as your new mains, and put the Aerius as your surrounds. I still think that adding surrounds would be a bigger upgrade than adding a center at this time, but your $$$, system and of course your decision!!! Good Luck!!

Dan

There are a pair of Aeon i's up for sale on Audiogon for $1900, Ascents for $2300, and Vista's for $3100 - shipping included!!! You could use any of these as your new mains, and put the Aerius as your surrounds. I still think that adding surrounds would be a bigger upgrade than adding a center at this time, but your $$$, system and of course your decision!!! Good Luck!!

Dan

MMmmMMMmMM... Vistas as mains.... ;) .

Latest posts

Back