What a mess !!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question -- a serious one: When you talk of the need to "Create a climate where businesses will thrive here in the US, jobs will ramp..." what are the top two or three specific things we need to do to begin to turn things around?
Surely, there must be a better approach than what we've been doing...

good point Len / Todd .......I too have thought about that as well........ I mean as we spread our 'Western Doctrine' and culture to India and the Asian basin countries it has come back to squarely hit us in the area of inability to compete, labor along with many other areas , regulation, enviroment, etc.

I certianly don't see Americans lowering our standard of living, well actually I do, but not by choice !

Todd, FWIW, I did notice recently that UPS announced plans for conversion of some or all of it's delivery fleet to run on LNG, given what we have going on here in Pa (Marcellas gas Play) I think that is a step in 'domestic energy' direction for others to heed.

Question -- a serious one: When you talk of the need to "Create a climate where businesses will thrive here in the US, jobs will ramp..." what are the top two or three specific things we need to do to begin to turn things around?
Surely, there must be a better approach than what we've been doing...

That reference was intended as a serious examination of the Fairtax proposal (or similar). Fairtax is essentially an embedded sales tax on everything. It's clean, extremely low overhead, puts more money in the pockets of the working man/woman (which they will spend!) and best of all, it creates a zero-tax safe harbor for any business that wants to setup shop in the US. I can't think of any greater gravitational pull for virtually any business than to be able to operate in a tax-free zone.

Anyone who REALLY examines Fairtax will see that it isn't just smoke and mirrors. It's been modeled six ways to sunday and is well thought out. Imagine the savings in just gutting the IRS alone? Just that one (first) step would save billions a year! Of course it would also put more than a few government workers out of a job... but like I said, we as a nation need to roll with the punches if any real change is going to take hold.

Could you imagine an April 15th not filled with anxiety and distress for MILLIONS of people? I can... but not until the lobbyists and power-brokers are put out to pasture. That's the real road-block.

http://www.amazon.com/FairTax-Answe...SNOO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298682429&sr=8-1

Good book that walks thru the concept.

Todd, FWIW, I did notice recently that UPS announced plans for conversion of some or all of it's delivery fleet to run on LNG, given what we have going on here in Pa (Marcellas gas Play) I think that is a step in 'domestic energy' direction for others to heed.

That's awesome! There is absolutely no reason that every large (short-range) fleet in North America shouldn't already be on LNG. It should be law. All car rental fleets, all delivery services, all government... etc etc. Yes, there would be some infrastructure costs, but how does that compare to ****ing our money away now to the Saudis?

Also, I am sickened by US auto manufactuers. Sickened. 2011 model small SUVs STILL get << 20mpg. That is completely unacceptable. Again, IMO, there should be much stricter laws to govern MPG and polution. I suppose it's still always the individuals decision to go "clean/green" and some options exist for that... but most folks don't think globally. So how to address? Make the bad options unavailable.

Is that somehow "encroaching on freedom"? I could care less. If it means helping the economy, the nation, and the environment... then we have the responsibility to do it. Not 10 years from now... but right now - this year.

That's the other thing that bugs me about gov... it's glacial and it doesn't need to be.

I didn't vote for Perot, but you really have to wonder if we had a sharp business man at the helm, one with an actual soul (i.e. cares about the earth) how things might be different today.

Last edited:
Could you imagine an April 15th not filled with anxiety and distress for MILLIONS of people? I can... but not until the lobbyists and power-brokers are put out to pasture. That's the real road-block.

But, but, to whom will the Fat Cat Wall Street Bankers give their bribes, er, money? And, wouldn't eliminating lobbyists be considered cruel and unusual punishment, especially to those dudes (and dudettes) on K Street (here in DC)? 'Course, some are already in jail <Cough> (Delay, Abrahmoff)...ah, but I digress (again)...

Thanks for the link -- on order!

Carroll Quiqley on the Two Party System: "The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one perhaps of the Right, and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can 'throw the rascals out' at any election without leading to any profound or extensive shifts in policy... But either party in office becomes in time corrupt, tired, unenterprising, and vigorless. Then it should be possible to replace it, every four years if necessary, by the other party, which will be none of these things but will still pursue, with new vigor, approximately the same policies".

-- Carroll Quigley, "Tragedy and Hope", 1966, p. 1247-48

The (D) v. (R), "Fat Cat" v. "Union", (fill in your own, etc.) thing is at once both amusing and embarrassing. This is an illusion to keep us fighting amongst ourselves. At least as measured by the recent comments, this illusion seems to be doing very well.

Do any of us really believe the problems we face cannot be solved? Really? No, there is a much more simple explanation: the reason things are the way they are is by design.

It is easy to lose liberty, not so easy to regain it.

Do any of us really believe the problems we face cannot be solved? Really? No, there is a much more simple explanation: the reason things are the way they are is by design.

It is easy to lose liberty, not so easy to regain it.

Hmmmm, you make it sound spooky and conspiratorial. Let me guess, you're a Bilderburger kind of guy... watching over your shoulder for the Illuminati, the powers-that-be who planned Obama's election, planned the wars, planned the current economic crisis...plan everything... right?

Maybe I'm reading too much into your post... but I really doubt it's a grand-scale illusion by design kind of thing. I think we have mostly fat-cat idiots in charge who dine on corruption, arrogance, ignorance and stubbornness... and are too weak to bring about the changes this country desperately needs.

On the other hand, I do believe Cheney, Rove, Limbaugh etc etc are Lizard aliens come to rip at the fabric of our civilization... or at least it seems that way ;) I don't think G.W.B is an alien though... way too far behind the evolutionary curve.

I promised myself I would steer clear of this thread... so much for promises.

Great post, Todd. I also think the Fair Tax is a nice idea - sometimes the best ideas are the simplest. Our tax code is one of the complicated, bloated, and mind numbingly sophisticated pieces of legislation in the history of mankind. I can't imagine that adding 1000s of pages to the tax code each year is a promising solution to some of issues related to taxation.

I'd also like to basically scrap both the house and senate and elect all new people AND install term limits. It boggles the mind that we have no term limits on the people who truly direct this country. We have limits for governors and the President - but we have many career politicians in the form senators and congressmen/women.

Hmmmm, you make it sound spooky and conspiratorial. Let me guess, you're a Bilderburger kind of guy... watching over your shoulder for the Illuminati, the powers-that-be who planned Obama's election, planned the wars, planned the current economic crisis...plan everything... right?

Hold on, let me first adjust my tin foil hat... :ROFL:

Maybe I'm reading too much into your post... but I really doubt it's a grand-scale illusion by design kind of thing. I think we have mostly fat-cat idiots in charge who dine on corruption, arrogance, ignorance and stubbornness... and are too weak to bring about the changes this country desperately needs.

The world is far too chaotic to be "planned" in the way you've described. No one person, organization or even government can plan global outcomes in your "Bilderberger" scenario- that's silly talk...

The real issue has not been addressed: If it is agreed that the current state of affairs is unsustainable, why is it not being corrected? Possible answer: because the cost of the change to those wielding power is far too high. Of course, there are other reasonable possibilities as well. What do others think?

It's simply a matter of programming: It's far easier (not to mention more fun- especially on online forums!) to believe and argue that it's all the "D's vs. R's" fault than to consider for a moment that they are two sides of the same coin, as that would break the illusion and thus break with deeply-ingrained and established patterns of belief, leading to an uncomfortable state of cognitive dissonance.

On the other hand, I do believe Cheney, Rove, Limbaugh etc etc are Lizard aliens come to rip at the fabric of our civilization... or at least it seems that way ;)

An intriguing and amusing possibility for certain. I think you make an excellent conspiracy expert! :D

On the other hand, I do believe Cheney, Rove, Limbaugh etc etc are Lizard aliens come to rip at the fabric of our civilization... or at least it seems that way ;) I don't think G.W.B is an alien though... way too far behind the evolutionary curve.

Dont forget Bill Mahr, Rachael Maddow, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, The ED show. ect.

Todd I am not so sure that the right has an exclusive on hot air the left has their share of mud slingers as well.

Last edited:
Dont forget Bill Mahr, Rachael Maddow, Keith Olbermann, Chris Matthews, The ED show. ect.

Todd I am not so sure that the right has a exclusive on hot air the left has their share of mud slingers as well.

Sadly, true. Although in comparison, the entities i spotlight are like rabid hyenas compared to the slightly annoyed junior woodchucks on the left.

Though i am glad olberman has been dethrowned. That was overdue.

Todd I am not so sure that the right has an exclusive on hot air the left has their share of mud slingers as well.

One can certainly doubt that Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh actually believe their venom-spewing hatred of anyone who does not agree with their extremist views. President Reagan, Barry Goldwater, and even Daddy Bush did not countenance Rush.

I see him and his ilk as hugely detrimental to our Country, for his divisiveness (and outright lies) and, if Republican leadership had any guts, would tell him to go take a hike. He's just a half-baked hypocrite, undeserving of anyone's attention.

His latest stunt? Calling the First Lady "fat." Boy, talk about the needing a good look in the mirror!!! Just another one of many, many uncouth acts.

I miss Countdown with Keith Olberman. He was the first cable news anchor with the wavos to call out Bush when all the other pundit's thought it was anti-American to say anything slightly disrespectful about the president.

Jeeze, anybody get a load of Glen Beck lately? I watch out of morbid curiosity, it's like a slow motion train wreck.

After the Citizens United Supreme Court decision, I fear we're heading for an Oligarchy. I'm gonna end up, just another "Koch Whore".

I guess I'm being a little cynical, but I'm a third generation Floridian with a new Governor that belongs in prison, not in the Governor's Mansion.

haha, o.k. that's my rant...

Sadly, true. Although in comparison, the entities i spotlight are like rabid hyenas compared to the slightly annoyed junior woodchucks on the left.

Though i am glad olberman has been dethrowned. That was overdue.

I guess that is merely a matter of perspective, both sides can take on the hyena syndrome at times.

Rush and Olbermann are extremely polarizing individuals.

This hobby has certainly taught me that everyone hears something a bit differently.

The point is most people live somewhere in the middle and the extremes on both sides give me a headache.

I miss Countdown with Keith Olberman. He was the first cable news anchor with the wavos to call out Bush when all the other pundit's thought it was anti-American to say anything slightly disrespectful about the president.

Yeah, exactly. That was back when the Bushies were fostering the idea that ANY criticism of Shrub made one disloyal to the USA. Funny how that concept quickly went out the window as soon as Obama became President. :rolleyes:

Imagine the reaction had some democratic congressman had shouted "YOU LIE!" during one of Bush's State of the Union addresses! What a :eek::mad: bunch of Hypocrites!!!

The point is most people live somewhere in the middle and the extremes on both sides give me a headache.

Agreed Larry, as I said before (and I'll say again).....there are times I wish the earth were flat, that way the idiots that are far right and left would all fall off !

Recent posts are hilarious and have me LMAO. Please keep up the good work!

BTW, anyone ever listened to "The John Birch Society" by the Chad Mitchell Trio (yeah, I know this dates me, but really, some of those lyrics are priceless):

"Oh we're the John Birch Society, holding off the Reds;
We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads!"

Back