weak sound from panel - help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plmatlock6

Reaction score
I have 9 year old ML SL-3's which I love. But slowly they have become bass heavy and I am required to turn up the amplifier more to get adequate sound volumn. I recently turned the bass down on the base of the unit and that helped the balance but I am having to turn the amplifier up to levels that previously would have driven my wife from the room. I have vacuumed the stators and that did not help. Has anyone else had this expreriance or know what is going on?

I recently had one of my Odyssey speakers behave like yours. It was putting out about a 1/3 rd of the sound of the other speaker through the stator.

Martin Logan suggested that I swap stators to rule it out that it was a stator problem. I did that and the stator that was not playing , played fine in the other speaker which ruled out a stator problem. Once that was done, ML said it was the rear circuit board. They were correct and now it is fixed.

I suggest contacting Jim Power at ML. Possibly your SL3's may need new panels. It is a very easy procedure to install them .

Cheers, Greg

I also suggest a Panel upgrade, as the newer panels are a big step up in quality.
You even get Clear-Spars (transparent lines within the panel)

Get new panels from ML immediately. At 9 years old, they are ready. I had the same issue a few months ago. One speaker took about 2 minutes to get as loud as the other one. ML confirmed that this is a normal failure mode for the panels, and I bumped up my panel replacement timetable from "when I get around to it" to "right now -- today".

BTW... The ClearSpars look fantastic on the Sequels/SL3's.

~VDR

Thanks to all, I did contact Jim Powers, and he suggested vacuuming again with particular attention to the horizontal bars, which I did. The sound is now much much better. I am not sure yet whether I want to take further action, although new stators sounds appealing.

I had this problem with my re-quests. Cleaning helped some. Got new panels the other day and could not be happier, its a huge upgrade, if you can afford it, do it, you wont regret it!

Back