VTL DeLuxe 120 Monos w/ CLS II?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArneW

Reaction score
Hi,

let me first say how I amazed I am that there is a forum like this! I'm already beginning to love this place even before I have my ML's up and running.

Eventually, I bought a nice pair of CLS II speakers off eBay two days ago. I wanted these things for 20 years, and now my dream has come true. At least I hope so. But while I'd love to replace my conventional speakers, it occurred to me that I may not have the amps to drive them, let alone make them really sing. So here is my question: Will my pair of late 1980s VTL monoblocks go up in smoke or can I expect them to be a good match? They are switchable (tetrode/triode) which means 120 wpc in tetrode and 50 wpc in triode mode. I'll probably not even try to hook them to my other amps, which consist of two VTL tiny triodes (25 wpc). The only other option which I'm not sure I'd like is an old big SS amp, a vintage Amcron/Crown DC300. Which one will do the trick, if at all?

Arne

I auditioned both the ST-85 and ST-150 with my CLSIIz's for a couple of days each, and they ran fine - in both modes. Not sure about "long term" use, but for the few days I had each one, I had no issues with them.

Note: I have the IIz's and not the II's.

Dan

Depends on your listening level

Arne,

Just tried a VTL ST 150 with my Summits. No problem. However, with the CLS II, you may run out of gas if you listen at high levels. I'd refer to Dan on this since he has personal experience with this combo. I had the CLS II and ran with a Moscode hybrid amp / approx 100W per channel. Seemed to work fine as long as I didn't "push it" too much. I would be concerned about bass slam / definition based on my recent and past experience. May not be an issue for you depending on your personal listening preferences.

GG

Hello Arne, and welcome. You're right, this forum rocks - plenty of nice and knowledgeable people. First off, you should make sure that you really have bought CLS II's - check out the serials on both the electronics and the panels. I saw some CLS's on eBay lately, with CLS II panels and CLS electronics...it happened to me, too - I bought CLS IIz's which revealed themselves to be CLS II's. The II's sport half the impedance of the IIz's, dipping under 2 ohms, which can be really demanding for lots of amplifiers.

The room dimensions are important, too - in a smaller room you need less power from your amps in order to get a pleasant sound level. Keep us informed, and enjoy the journey !

Back