VPI Prime Signature arrives

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lightloopy

Reaction score
Decided to do the TT upgrade after 12 yrs w/ the Rega P25. It's a beautiful piece and is impressive in how much more information can be extracted from vinyl. I am using a Soundsmith Aida MK II cart. First impression is increased separation of individual instruments ,improved timbre and more fleshed out, tuneful low end. Amazing that this technology still holds it's own!

Attachments

• Resized_20210815_120739001.jpeg
    Resized_20210815_120739001.jpeg
    759.8 KB · Views: 45
Big congrats on the new VPI, did you get it from Overture ?

Thanks, Dave! Indeed I did. Joe and I were listening to the Prime 21 but the Signature seemed to have such mojo to it and looked so much nicer, I decided to go for it. Happy I did. Pictures don't do it justice. It will be a great platform to build on.

Question to VPI owners- my brand new Prime Signature was sounding warbly in the first hour. ( How can Annie Haslam not hold a note??)
Turned out there wqs dried up crud in the platter shaft and after a cleaning and lube sounds great.
My question is that does the lube just dry out sitting in there or only after use? Could this be a Bstock or used platter?
Instructions from VPI just say pull off the tape and pop it on. Odd that they don't start with fresh lube from the beginning.
I've discussed with the dealer and they will check with VPI.
Thanks!

Decided to do the TT upgrade after 12 yrs w/ the Rega P25. It's a beautiful piece and is impressive in how much more information can be extracted from vinyl. I am using a Soundsmith Aida MK II cart. First impression is increased separation of individual instruments ,improved timbre and more fleshed out, tuneful low end. Amazing that this technology still holds it's own!
Is that a Fatboy arm?
I just picked the same and really impressed with the table BUT not the 3D printed arm. Headshell is not straight?! Cartridge does not sit level.

Attachments

• B89BD282-31C5-4F1B-81FE-9C1653B2D2E4.jpeg
    B89BD282-31C5-4F1B-81FE-9C1653B2D2E4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
  • 8E55DC53-4964-44DB-ABBA-16C738FECF29.jpeg
    8E55DC53-4964-44DB-ABBA-16C738FECF29.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
Question to VPI owners- my brand new Prime Signature was sounding warbly in the first hour. ( How can Annie Haslam not hold a note??)
Turned out there wqs dried up crud in the platter shaft and after a cleaning and lube sounds great.
My question is that does the lube just dry out sitting in there or only after use? Could this be a Bstock or used platter?
Instructions from VPI just say pull off the tape and pop it on. Odd that they don't start with fresh lube from the beginning.
Thanks!
Very odd. I think it takes years for the lube to dry out. Maybe someone put the wrong lube. I just use synthetic (red) bearing grease that I have in the garage.

Is that a Fatboy arm?
I just picked the same and really impressed with the table BUT not the 3D printed arm. Headshell is not straight?! Cartridge does not sit level.
Thanks for your comments. I have the regular gimbaled arm and seems to be fine.

Thanks!

Strange, I've never had that issue with my AriesIII after all these years. I do remove platter, clean and re-lube once a year.

Is that a Fatboy arm?

have you verified there are no raised surfaces on the cartridge top and head shell bottom ?

have you verified there are no raised surfaces on the cartridge top and head shell bottom ?

Yes. With my old twisted arm there were visible gaps between the two surfaces. This brand new arm is tight (no gaps) but the head appears to be tilted down (non parallel) and the front 1/3 of the arm is sagging. I have just read on the vpiforum about early 3D printed arms warping in the heat. Mine was not subjected to heat unless during shipping.

Since I was returning a defective arm you would think VPI would check for this before shipping internationally! Sorry to hijack thread.

Agreed Stefan, sad on the part of VPI, I would have expected better !!

Good news is Mat Weisfeld replied on Facebook and said they would support me if I wanted to exchange the arm (again) but I can also undo the warpage that happens during shipping by heating up the arm, like I read on the vpiforum. So I left it in the hot sun today for about an hour, then subjected it to a heat gun (on medium-low) for about 5 minutes and it magically straightened itself out! Now if only they had sent me the correct counterweight … I am almost there LOL

Last edited:
Glad it worked out. Good to hear there is support like that from Matt and VPI.

What a beautiful Prime Signature! I bought my Prime a couple of years ago after having used my VPI HW-19 for nearly 30 years. My dealer in Dallas, John Fort did some mods and I added the upgrade VPI feet. Makes beautiful music with my koetsu. You will enjoy this table for decades.

Thanks! Thoroughly enjoying it past few months. I am exploring my vinyl collection again and hearing greater disparities in recordings (good and bad). This TT is definitely a keeper!

Back