System #196 (Aerius)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a Keith Monks to keep my VPI 16.5 company...
DSC02024-X2.jpg

Steve, are you planning to do as a guy on audio aficionado has done, and have FOUR record cleaning machines?

Great system Steve, and very nice write up and pictures.
I just love that poster above your rack. Did some awesome person give that to you or did you draw it yourself?

Thanks Steve and Mike. Yeah, that poster is way cool. Just shows I have cool friends. I still haven't found all my bands on it!

A little late on this but the system looks and I am sure sounds great
my question is how did the Ikea chairs hold up after time?

They seem to be holding up well. I have basically only sat in one chair out of the three. The other two are only used whenever I have friends over for music nights, so they basically look about as good as new. The other chair looks about as good. No complaints.

Steve (sb6) made me eight diffusers, which we placed in my room today. Even with all the previous treatments I had, there was still some slap echo in the room. Well, that has now been eradicated and the benefits are tremendous. Smearing has been greatly reduced, due to the lack of mistimed echoes. The sound is much clearer, even talking is much clearer and easier to comprehend. The music seems to be presented in an unenforced way and nuances are so much easier to hear. Once again, it has been clearly shown to me that proper acoustics are essential to wring the best from my system. I strongly encourage those who have not experimented with acoustical treatments to check into it. Thanks Steve! Can't wait for the planned diffusion we're going to implement into the front bass traps and the wave diffusers for the side walls!

Steve (sb6) made me eight diffusers, which we placed in my room today. Even with all the previous treatments I had, there was still some slap echo in the room. Well, that has now been eradicated and the benefits are tremendous. Smearing has been greatly reduced, due to the lack of mistimed echoes. The sound is much clearer, even talking is much clearer and easier to comprehend. The music seems to be presented in an unenforced way and nuances are so much easier to hear. Once again, it has been clearly shown to me that proper acoustics are essential to wring the best from my system. I strongly encourage those who have not experimented with acoustical treatments to check into it. Thanks Steve! Can't wait for the planned diffusion we're going to implement into the front bass traps and the wave diffusers for the side walls!

You're very welcome Steve. I was also impressed compared to the test we did a month or so ago with 4 in your room - bigger difference. In addition to what you already stated, I heard more depth and layers of depth I don't recall hearing before (e.g: Keb Mo' track). IMO, with room treatment most people focus on bass and 1st reflections which is very important, but overlook slap echo especially near the ceiling and corners. It's an easy way to snap your system's sound into focus. Next up - DIY SMTs!! :D

I thought I'd go ahead and update my system photos since the treatments have been up for a while. Being the lazy slob I am, I didn't bother to clean up the room. Just Chillin' and listening to some Herbie Hancock.
image-S.jpg
image-L.jpg
image-L.jpg
image-L.jpg

Last edited:
Luther, haven't heard from you in a while, hope all is well. You need to make the trip up here. I'll let you know when the next "gathering" is.

Back