Vista/Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be no difference other than the bass. Only a very marginal amp would sound appreciably different if it had to drive the woofers. I would still rather have the Vantage because I prefer biamped systems and the analog bass control on the Vantage gives you a great tool to adjust bass output to your room.

Last edited:
athyonline said:
Should be no difference other than the bass. Only a very marginal amp would sound appreciably different if it had to drive the woofers. I would still rather have the Vantage because I prefer biamped systems and the analog bass control on the Vantage gives you a great tool to adjust bass output to your room.
That was my thought. I am not saying the Vistas are better but in a system with a good sub that is being used for HT and 2 Ch. I am not sure it is worth a grand. As for the biamping you are still sending an amped single to the Vantage right and the amp in the Vantage is assisting the bass response so it might not be drawing as much from your amp but it is still drawing. Just a thought here but I have read some of the gear you all have and is it possible that the Vistas would sound better with some of your great biamped systems. Nothing against ML but I would pretty much guarantee that some if not all of your amps driving your bass are better then whats in that speaker. So that amp is something else in the single path that could be a weak link between your great bass amp and that driver.

Zip3kx07 said:
Most if not everyone will tell you the best combination with your Logan’s is solid-state amps for the bass driver and Tubes for the ESL panels. So here you go get the Vantage and a tube amp and your all set.
I have never biamped but I have read and heard before that when biampimg the amps should be identical if not very close matter of fact one place I read this was in a speakers manual(not ML). So is this not the case.

Taz said:
That was my thought. I am not saying the Vistas are better but in a system with a good sub that is being used for HT and 2 Ch. I am not sure it is worth a grand. As for the biamping you are still sending an amped single to the Vantage right and the amp in the Vantage is assisting the bass response so it might not be drawing as much from your amp but it is still drawing. Just a thought here but I have read some of the gear you all have and is it possible that the Vistas would sound better with some of your great biamped systems. Nothing against ML but I would pretty much guarantee that some if not all of your amps driving your bass are better then whats in that speaker. So that amp is something else in the single path that could be a weak link between your great bass amp and that driver.
I do not agree. The genius of internally biamped systems is that the designer can chose an amp that is an exact match for each driver. Most full range amps are a waste of money for woofer duty since you need no power or reach beyond a 1000 hz or so. I am quite confident that ML did not cut any corners with the amp choice on this woofer. Indeed it was specifically matched or speced to this driver which assures a better match at a much lower cost than even a high end amp.

Just a quick thought. I have Zero autoformers that make a big difference in the sound quality.

Could it be that, the particular amp you were listening to was able to create a more "airy" sound with the interaction with the crossover of the speaker that does not pass the signal on to an active amplifier?

Vista Pricing?

Just trying to get a ballpark figure on MSRP... Looks like a nice apt size set up..

My older Quests are still kick'n in my "other" home.

Vista pricing is at $3700 for base veneers and $4000 for natural cherry and maple.

I was looking at the specs for the Vista and Vantage again and just realized that the Vista is 90dB sensitive and the Vantage is 92dB sensitive. That’s a big difference considering the panels are the same.

Comparing apples and oranges

Zip3kx07 said:
I was looking at the specs for the Vista and Vantage again and just realized that the Vista is 90dB sensitive and the Vantage is 92dB sensitive. That’s a big difference considering the panels are the same.

That's because the amplifier in question only has to power the panels for the Vantage, but the same amplifier has to deal with the woofer of the Vista. To level the playing field, if you add a 200wpc solid-state amplifier for the Vista's woofer(s) to relieve the main amplifier from bass-duty, I'd venture to say that the sensitivity for the panels will hover around 92db as well.

Spike

Spike said:
That's because the amplifier in question only has to power the panels for the Vantage, but the same amplifier has to deal with the woofer of the Vista. To level the playing field, if you add a 200wpc solid-state amplifier for the Vista's woofer(s) to relieve the main amplifier from bass-duty, I'd venture to say that the sensitivity for the panels will hover around 92db as well.

Spike
Yes, I realize its because the woofer is powered, I am just surprised it’s a 2dB difference.

Back