Vantage vs Ethos vs Spire and room size

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I have read several times that the Spire is better than the vantage because of the size of the panel and the bass performance. However it is usually stated that in a smaller room the difference is minimal. My question is what is a medium vs large room? My room is 17'x19' with 10 foot ceilings. My speakers would be across the 19' wall and my listening position would be roughly 15' back. I already have a large sub that i would use for both music and movies.

The Spire seems to be the best choice but also the most expensive. Is the Ethos a halfway compromise or would the Vantage be smarter? Would the Spire be overkill with a sub in that size room?

Hola. If you are going to use for stereo only, you do not need a sub with any of them. You have built controls to adjust the bass performance in any room. Please tell us what kind of music you listen usually. You will find the Vantages with a very good, well defined bass and also outperforms in this respect, other brands speakers costing twice or more. To my ears, the Spires are the best for the money and also with the bigger panel. I am using a pair of CLXs in a very small room. I really do like very much what I am listening, it is the best sound that I ever had. So, I assure you, you will not have any issues regarding the room bass performace. You can control the room standing waves easy. Happy listening.

If your speakers would be across the 19' wall, then allowing for 2' behind the speakers, your listening position would be smack against the back wall if it were to be 15' back. This is not the best location. Ideally you need some space between your listening position and the back wall.

I understand that the set up may not be ideal. Basically with a sub in a room that size what real world diffence would i notice between the Spire and the Vantage? Would you classify this room as large or medium?

I understand that the set up may not be ideal. Basically with a sub in a room that size what real world diffence would i notice between the Spire and the Vantage? Would you classify this room as large or medium?

I would classify it as "medium to medium-large" when compared to the slew of posted systems in this forum (now watch someone post a histogram of room sizes proving me wrong :))... and Spires will do nicely, or even Summits (good used prices out there). I've not heard the Vantages so can't really comment there. However, I tend to agree with Roberto that you likely do not need a sub if we're just talking music. If HT, then the system will most likely benefit from a sub.

Cheers

Your room size is similar to mine except taht i have 8 ft ceiling and a 12x21 ft room. I have the Spires with dual subs and they sound great. My spires are placed on the 12ft wall, 2ft infront and 2 ft from the side walls. I have a 65 in plasma between them.

Eversince the Montis came out, you could get brand new Spires for about $5K or so (while supplies last). I did with mine.

David

Have had Ascents Vantages and now Spires in my room (18 x 12 x 8). Room plenty big enough for Spires which are a big step up from the sweet Vantages, in respect of detail, bass quality and extension and above all, soundstage. Their tonality is ultimately significantly more lifelike than Vantages too. I think the size of panel is crucial here to its improvements (altho there are of course other differences) Ethos I've not heard so I'll leave that to others to comment.

Have a listen!! Cheers

Ethos will fill that space just fine, but if you have the extra coin I would go with the Spires or Montis. You can probably find some used spires on audiogon for less than you would pay for Ethos. That is likely your best choice. I have heard both the Ethos and spires. My listening room is smaller than yours and I went with the spires. I have absolutely no regrets.

I understand that the set up may not be ideal.

without proper acoustical treatment with the presentation you suggest I think it would be dismal at best. IMO, bring the speakers out further......space them closer together and get your seating position off that back wall.

Would you classify this room as large or medium?

medium

Maybe I was not clear, my speakers would be about 68-75 inches apart (the space needed for my media cabinet) and a couple feet from the front wall, i have space for more if needed. My couch sits about 15 feet back, but i could easily move it up further or back a foot. I just meant that they would be on the long wall, not 19 feet apart. The only downside i see is that the listening position is close to the back of the wall. Is that what you were referencing?

Giant center

Maybe I was not clear, my speakers would be about 68-75 inches apart (the space needed for my media cabinet) and a couple feet from the front wall, i have space for more if needed. My couch sits about 15 feet back, but i could easily move it up further or back a foot. I just meant that they would be on the long wall, not 19 feet apart. The only downside i see is that the listening position is close to the back of the wall. Is that what you were referencing?

I figured that from the get go. I would like to see and hear home sperakers that have a center fill 19 feet wide!!!! ;)

Back