Downsizing (sigh). What to do, what to do?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcl

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, all. It's been quite a few years since I've been active on this forum. I still fondly remember the discussions and advice, though, and give those a lot of credit in evolving what I still consider a 'killer' home theater system. (Click on the signature link to see its original configuration.) I've dearly loved my system over the years, but now I need to change it and I'm hoping to get some good advice again.

In short, life has caught up with me and my wife of 52 years, and unfortunately she had to go into assisted living a few months ago. With her 35-40 minutes away and only me in our relatively large house, I'm moving to a small house just around the corner from her so I'm closer. The problem is there really isn't enough room in the smaller house for the current system, so I've decided to put together an 'excellent' new system and sell off the components of the 'killer' one. (Oddly enough, I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be about this. After all, I'm 72 now and don't have the vision and hearing I used to. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the two now. ;))

I already know what I'm going to do on the video side of things, and I've already picked up an LG OLED77C8PUA 77" to replace the current TV and Projector/Screen. What I don't know is what to do on the audio side. Briefly, I've currently got a 7.2 system that's being driven by an Integra DTC 9.8 Preprocessor and Sunfire TGA-7400 Amp, and has the following speakers:

• 2 Martin Logan Summits (front left and right)
  • 1 Martin Logan Theater (center)
  • 1 Martin Logan Descent (front subwoofer)
  • 2 Definitive UIW BP/A Bipolar In-Ceiling speakers (surround left and right)
  • 2 Definitive UIW 64/A Cast Basket In-Ceiling speakers (rear left and right)
  • 1 Definitive ProSub 100TL (rear subwoofer)
The new system will be in a living room that has a 9 ft ceiling, is 17 x 15, is open to the kitchen on one short wall, will have seating and a small desk on one long wall, and the TV mounted on the other long wall.

I'd like to stay with ML if I can. I've read good reviews on the Motion SLM speakers and they look like they'll serve my needs. So my current inclination is to go with a 5.1 system, picking up 3 SLM XL units to mount on the TV wall as the front left, right and center, 2 SLM units to mount on the opposite wall as the back left and right, and a Dynamo 600X subwoofer. (I'm not sure about replacing the Descent sub, but it is 17 yrs old and the current market value would more than pay for the Dynamo.)

So what do you think? I'd be delighted with any comments or other suggestions. Thanks!

Hola...

Because you already have a killer system, I would´n change a thing. You can adjust the level of your components system and match your room needs. I will sell the ceiling and brands that are not ML, why? Because ML is really fast, and the components must match this speed. I am not saying that the Definitive Tech are bad. No, What I am saying is that the ML products are matched with timbre and speed. Also, I will use only one sub-woofer, and I will array to have a dedicated 5.1 system.

Happy listening!

Hi, based on the layout description, your overall listening area 'depth' is only 15' (the short side), and I agree, that's not enough for Summits.

Rather than the SLM series, I think you'll get better results from 5 Motion X35 or 4 X35 + a Motion 50XT center. These all have the larger ribbon tweeter, and good low-end if using a sub(s).
For subs, sell both current subs. Obtain 2 Dynamo 1100X, place one under the center speaker at the front of the room and onother at the rear of the room. That will balance out the room modes to some extent. Use ARC to tune each to its location, then the Room Corrector in the processor can balance the sum.

You could keep the Integra, but it will not pass 4K sources, so unless you want to have a separate 4K switcher ahead of the OLED (Or it has enough inputs), updating the processor would be a good idea.

My recommendation would the Marantz AV7705, as it has Sub EQ HT that supports two independent sub channels (sets level and delay for each, the EQs as a sum), has the advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with the ability to create custom curves and load different saved room EQs. It also is Atmos enabled, so if you decide to go immersive, you'll be set. It handles all current 4K video sources as well.

Keep the Sunfire as the amp.

Upgrades to the above: If you do a lot of 2ch listening, go for Motion 60XT for L/R, but with 2 ARC-corrected subs, and a well-done Room Correction, I'd bet the 35XT will be all you need.

More better yet would be four Dynamo 1100X, 2 in front and 2 rear, but that would require a lot more measurement and setup than I guess you'd be up for.

I hope that helps.

Based on ... I agree, that's not enough for Summits.
Yeah, I tried really hard to find a configuration that could work, but finally had to give up.

Rather than the SLM series, I think you'll get better results from 5 Motion X35 or 4 X35 + a Motion 50XT center.
You think they'd make that much of a difference? The SLMs seem to visually be so much 'cleaner' and I'm not a big fan of the glossy black of the X35s. Also, I've found that over the last few years I've gotten used to less music listening and much more home theater watching. I'd lean toward the 4 35XT + 50XT, though, if I go that way.

For subs, sell both current subs. Obtain 2 Dynamo 1100X, ...
I'm already leaning that way, except that I was thinking of going with two of the Dynamo 800X instead. I'd think that they'd be able to do a good job in that room, but I'd be happy to know why you might think otherwise.

You could keep the Integra, but it will not pass 4K sources, so ... My recommendation would the Marantz AV7705, ...
Actually, all of the source input and video processing/distribution is already done using a Lumagen Radiance Pro 4442, which was designed with 4K in mind, and feeds the Integra just the audio via HDMI. The Integra doesn't even see video at this point.

The only reason I could see going with the AV7705 would be for the latest audio processing and tuning capabilities. Admittedly, this is no small thing, but is it worth $2k for it?

Anyway, I very much appreciate the comments, and I look forward to any responses you may have. Thanks!

i've been thru the same thing and as much as I wanted to stay with ML, their non ESL models aren't as good as some other brands.... it's ok to leave ML. ;-)

i've been thru the same thing and as much as I wanted to stay with ML, their non ESL models aren't as good as some other brands.... it's ok to leave ML. ;-)
:D :stop: NO! Say it isn't so! :stop: :D

Actually Tom, I hadn't realized that you'd gone through something similar while I was away. I now see that you're "MartinLoganLess" in your signature, and reading over your System #1 thread I see the reasons and results.

And yes, although I'm still leaning towards an ML solution, I'm now actively considering non-ML possibilities. (Sigh.)

Will be interested in seeing what you end up with, Ken.
Well, after many, many hours of evaluating what I want, what I need, what's available, what I can afford vs what I'll spend (not at all the same:D), etc., etc., I decided on a 7.2.2 system with the following:

• Anthem MRX-720 Receiver
  • Sunfire TGA-7400 Amp
  • ML Motion 35XT for the fronts
  • ML Motion 50XT for the center
  • ML Motion 15 for the sides
  • Paradigm P80-R in-ceiling for the backs
  • Paradigm P65-R in-ceiling for the forward atmos
  • Dual SVS SB-3000 subs
The only thing I already had was the Sunfire Amp, so I had to purchase everything else. But I'm generally happy with my choices and their reasons. Without exception, everything on this list was at least two or three different things throughout the process. I had a lot of help, though, both from a number of forums like this and AVS, as well as a number of good friends in the industry. I'm grateful to all of them putting up with my incessant questions.

Anyway, I don't want to go on and on with the various whys and wherefores of the choices, but if you're curious why I went the way I did with something, post a reply and I'll fill out the reasons. Heck, I'd even be happy to hear why you think I made a terrible choice. :)

Update for the final installed system. Everything is as described above, except that side speakers wouldn't fit in the room so I used ML ElectroMotion IC (In-Ceiling) speakers for the sides instead of Motion 15's. There's no question I'll miss the quality of my Summit/Theater/Depth and Sony G90 Projector Home Theater/Listening Room, but overall I'm very happy with the final results of this sound system with a LG OLED 77" TV in my new family room.

Last edited:
Ken, thanks for the updates, and it is great to hear you are satisfied with the results, even if it's not quite ESL-level performance. That is still a pretty nice set of gear.

Hopefully, you've paid attention to physical and Room EQ setups and will continue to fine-tune room acoustics to achieve the best results possible.

Hi Ken, I am sorry that your wife had to go and live in an assisted-living facility. I wish you both many years of healthy living and happiness. I admire your passion for A/V. At age 72, you are exception to the rule. Congrats on your new set of toys. They should sound terrific. :rocker:

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back