Tweeter to close a third of it's stores!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At $1200 I could justify buying a pair of them. What improvements does the Depth-i introduce compared to the older model, other than the CLX setting on the x-over and wood top options?

The Depth i has the "new" wood top, the controls have been moved from the back to the top and there is a new amp inside (500W??). Other than that nothing but a new price too.

It is not enough for me to change.

Jeff:cool:

I don't mean to dig up an old thread, but I worked for "Tweeter" for almost 3 years as a salesman at the stores in NJ. When I started with the company, it was still "Bryn Mawr Stereo & Video" and I underwent the change to Tweeter when the companies combined.

I'm very sad to see the stores go....the knowledge, service, and training that Tweeter offers it's employees and customers is rare in a chain of stores as large as it was. I know in the stores I worked in, we truly cared about our customers and were excited to sell the mid to high end gear. We were geniune fans of the home and car entertainment experience. I know many times, I would do home installs for free for customers because I wanted to setup the gear the right way, and I just love the smell of opening new toys. :devil: You know what I'm talking about....the freshly opened smell of new speakers or amps.... hehe

I know of a few stores in my area that are closing, and many of my friends are now going to be out of work. One of them, a manager of a store, was forced to go to the dark side....Best Buy. :(

This is a sad time for those of us that love high end gear....

I wonder which Tennessee store is close to my area (western Kentucky)...hmmmm. Might need to take a drive.

I just returned from a vacation and was wondering if any of the California stores are still open? I called one of the stores, but no one was answering.

I can see it now... you want Summits? Ok, you can take it home for $999!

You wish.

I think they sold their display pair of vista and vantage at 50% off.

When I say nothing left, I mean nothing left! People were purchasing their shelves, displays, and wall switches. I you want to buy it they will sell it to you and that includes the carpet on the floor.

Update. Tweeters filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (reorganization) today... excerpts from the news wire... "In the last six months, Tweeter has lost $34.3 million, more than double the $16.5 million it lost in the 12 months ending Sept. 30, according to the filing."

I hope their reorganization turns out successful, but I have my doubts. Don't know if they plan on closing more stores. I wonder what % of ML's sales came from the chain. I bet it was over 50%! Doesn't bode well for ML.

sad really

The Sound Advice store here in Naples has experienced a mass exodus of its quality people since Tweeter bought the chain. One of the gentlemen that we had dealt with the last seven years; bought all our M/L gear from and personaly saw us through the various product issues is gone now. He's selling furniture at Rooms To Go. This is after being with the company before Sound Advice had a store in Naples. This business model confounds me:confused:

APF

The Sound Advice store here in Naples has experienced a mass exodus of its quality people since Tweeter bought the chain. One of the gentlemen that we had dealt with the last seven years; bought all our M/L gear from and personaly saw us through the various product issues is gone now. He's selling furniture at Rooms To Go. This is after being with the company before Sound Advice had a store in Naples. This business model confounds me:confused:

APF

Did you ever deal with David Lee?

Update. Tweeters filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (reorganization) today... excerpts from the news wire... "In the last six months, Tweeter has lost $34.3 million, more than double the $16.5 million it lost in the 12 months ending Sept. 30, according to the filing."

I hope their reorganization turns out successful, but I have my doubts. Don't know if they plan on closing more stores. I wonder what % of ML's sales came from the chain. I bet it was over 50%! Doesn't bode well for ML.

ML's biggest mistake was not letting Tweeter just sell the Design line. Some how Tweeter must've convinced ML that selling the ESL line would be a good idea. That has irked many high end stores because when customers come in, they don't often want to see any ML products because they 'listened to them at Tweeter.'

In the long run it could actually benefit ML. No way ML lets their ESL line (maybe all of their products) go to big box stores again.

In the long run it could actually benefit ML. No way ML lets their ESL line (maybe all of their products) go to big box stores again.

Erik, I hope your correct, for Tweeters presentation of that line was an outright disgrace !!

Erik, I hope your correct, for Tweeters presentation of that line was an outright disgrace !!

Should've seen how they presented the Summits at the local Tweeter store. There were in this "stage" propped up with zero toe in and against the wall... in an enclosed "stage prop" structure.

It was... an abomination to say the least.

I didn't even bother to listen to it because I'd just not like what I would've heard.

Time will tell

This should help them get out of some leases from the closed stores. They also claim that they will focus on " high end", however that is defined- but leads one to think it will include ML. Certainly got their butt kicked competing against Sam's Club and Costco on price.

just want to say that i am sad the tweeter closest to me (newport beach, ca) closed down

it was the only tweeter i knew of, and their presentation of ML speakers was excellent. one room with vistas and vantages hooked up to krell.. and another room for HT with summits n a stage, descent and script i's with a profhd1 and hd-dvd.

i hope they come back to california, specifically to that newport location since they seem to have had a pretty good business there, judging from their awards given to them by Martin Logan for excellent sales..

In the long run it could actually benefit ML. No way ML lets their ESL line (maybe all of their products) go to big box stores again.[/QUOTE]

This is what I have witnessed in recent years with the Big Box retailers in the Washington,DC metro area.

CC used to sell Karmon Kardon (recievers)
BB now sells Harmon Kardon (recievers)

CC recently started selling Denon (recievers)
BB/Mag seems to be phasing out Denon recievers

Tweeter phased out most of it's Pioneer Elite recievers....
when BB/Magnolia started carrying the Elite recievers

Now BB/Magnolia seems to be phasing Pio Elite recievers, and pushing the Yamaha's

A salesman at the Annapolis, MD Magnolia mentioned thier particular store will be selling the Summits in the Fall of 2007....Don't think this guy was joking, he's always been very professional with me.

What does it all mean....I dunno....... but ML has to make up for the lost sales from the recent Tweeter closings, and fyi...none of the Tweeter stores in the metro WDC went out of business.

Latest posts

Back