Tweeter, Sound Advice ALL CLOSING!!!!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's true just called them they are done. although some of you may be happy because they are not a true high end store I think it is sad to see any retailer go out. that being said I may head on over to pick the bones lol.

http://www.iqpc.com/News.aspx?id=122948001&IQ=supplychain
Tweeter to Liquidate ; All of Audio Retail Chain's Stores to Close
Source: Boston Herald

Pub. Date: Nov 01 2008 4:10 PM

By DONNA GOODISON

Employees at Tweeter stores were notified yesterday that the struggling consumer electronics chain will start liquidation sales as early as today.

Confirmation of the sale by employees at five of the chain's stores followed a report yesterday by industry trade publication TWICE (This Week in Consumer Electronics) that the Canton chain had closed its distribution centers and had been purchased by an unnamed liquidator late Thursday.

Earlier this month, CEO George Granoff left Tweeter Newco after 13 months following an apparent fallout with owner Schultze Asset Management, which brought in a corporate restructuring expert to run the chain on an interim basis.

No one could be reached at Tweeter headquarters yesterday, and Schultze declined comment yesterday. The New York investment firm purchased the assets of the former Tweeter Home Entertainment Group out of bankruptcy for $38 million in July 2007 and started running its 103 stores. Tweeter had filed for bankruptcy that June with $165 million in debt after six years of losses.

Tweeter lost its direction a long time ago, starting with it 2000- 2002 acquisition spree, according to Chuck Schneider, a consumer electronics manufacturers' representative based in Plaistow, N.H. When Schultze bought the company, "as far as the whole industry was concerned, Tweeter kind of fell off the map," he said.

"You saw virtually no advertising," Schneider said. "They just sort of disappeared, and the independent custom retailers, which are pretty much all single stores or single-entity operations, are incredibly more nimble. Tweeter just didn't know whether it was a retailer anymore or whether it was a custom installer."

- [email protected]

Originally published by By DONNA GOODISON.

(c) 2008 Boston Herald. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

I worked at a store called Now! Audio Video here in NC right out of college (2001-2). I left to go to grad school, and soonafter Now! was bought by Tweeter. Most of the guys I worked with stayed on after the transition.

In its day, Now! sold some pretty fancy stuff; B&K, Rega, Krell, Monitor Audio, etc. Now! also cultivated a knowledgeable sales force. Then Tweeter rolled in, and the same sales guys that once brought customers into a room to audition Odysseys being driven by a Conrad Johnson tube amp had to sell people GPS units and Bose lifestyle systems.

Tweeter's business model was always a mess, and I feel bad for the guys I know there who are going to have to move on.

Tweeter's business model was always a mess

Agreed, here in the NE they acquired several very good "Boutique" stores of their day only to have ruined them with their 'Circuit City' mentality, as I see yesterday Circuit City declared bankruptcy.

Say what you will, but i for one am sad to see them go. They were instrumental to my enlightment having purchased from them the Aeon i and Cinema I.

Still, every time I walked into the store there was a feeling of only a matter of time; 'Circuit City mentality' - well said.

Think I'll run there tomorrow and pick up another panamax as the system is building and there are so many more things to plug in :music:

With Tweeter gone and Circuit City going, i think I'll check out Best Buy's stock price. They seem to be the only game in town that can cover for Tweeter and CC.

My personal history w/TWEETER

August 2005

I walked into a Northern, Va Tweeter location not looking to purchase any speakers of any brand, however, I left the store with thier last pair of closeout ML Ascenti's at a great price.

Prior to that day, I had never ever before even listened to a pair of Martin Logan speakers.

Yes! The Ascenti's were that good to my ears........another ML Fan was born.

August 2006

Traded my Ascenti's back to Tweeter (full purchase price) towards the purchase of a pair of Vista's

August 2007

Traded the Vista's back to Tweeter (full purchase price) towards the purchase of a pair of Vantage's

August 2008

Traded the Vantage's back to Tweeter (full purchase price) towards the purchase of a pair of Spires

August 2009 (prediction)

no one out there will be willing to give me full purchase price for my (very gently used) pair of Martin Logan Spire's nine months from now.

Matter of fact a pair of used Spires (Bubinga wood) can be had on A-Gon right now for less than $6K

Which means I won't likely be purchasing that pair of CLX's that I had already begun to dream about.

heck yea I'm gonna miss Tweeter........but not as much as thier speaker trade-up policy.

Luckily............I do have my Spires.........and I'm gonna be OK.

Signed.......CLXless

Latest posts

Back